Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 01:39 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
That's a good question. I think we all know there's no perfect place that has all of those things you mentioned.
I went by the complaints I often seem here, many times with the same poster listing a few of them either in one or multiple posts.

I dont understand how, in this day and age, with such a vast well of available information at ones fingertips, people do not know anything or very little about the availability of the most important requirements and desires when they contemplate a relocation. It seems many people had no idea the state landscape is mostly flat, that it gets very hot here in the summer and there is no snow in winter. They have no grasp of the cost of living, average wages, cultural variations and many other important factors.

When I did my relocation 28 years ago, I spent a lot of time gathering the information as to the questions and concerns I had. I contacted businesses I knew I would depend on, subscribed to the Sunday edition of the local newspaper and I visited the area multiple times. I was able to weigh every aspect of life from the cost of automobile insurance to the existence of a zoo before I made my decision to "come on down".

I knew that pizza as I knew it, knishes, bagels and Boar's Head provisions would not be found (though over time each made their way here). When I left Orlando 11 years ago I knew everything there was to know about the Spring Hill area and there were no surprises.

Yet time after time I read about people who are shocked when they finally do get the information as they stumble through life in their chosen location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 04:19 PM

17,463 posts, read 38,864,396 times
Quote:
And finally: Please let me know where in Sarasota the French Bakery is, b/c Tampa Bay has exactly ZERO French bakeries.
Does it look like this?
We actually have more than one, but they are small. The one I frequent is downtown Main St., C'est La Vie, they are a bakery/bistro:

Bonjour - C'est La Vie - Sarasota, FL They have the most fantastic breakfast (crepes/omelettes) ever. My husband grew up in Europe and agrees. Coincidentally, they started out in Tampa, and decided they didn't like it there, felt it was a mistake and moved to Sarasota to open their business, where they have been doing fantastic. They have a sister restaurant that I am going to try this week, this thread made me think of it, it is also downtown:

http://www.lolitatartine.com/

They are from France, they are the real deal. Here is another bakery, on the south end of town, but I have not been there.

Rendez-Vous - Home

And whether or not anyone agrees with this, Sarasota was rated by Conde Nast Traveler magazine as #14 best food city in the US.

http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/...ce-awards-2014

Last edited by gypsychic; 07-12-2016 at 05:09 PM..

Old 07-12-2016, 05:02 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,005,703 times
Well yeah, when almost all the jobs in Tampa Bay pay dirt, guess what? People can't afford stuff. So what can we expect? Most posters on City Data are rich, but I fear most working class in Florida are scraping by on $35k a year or less. So yeah, higher priced food prolly won't sell well.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:32 PM

5,908 posts, read 7,241,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Well yeah, when almost all the jobs in Tampa Bay pay dirt, guess what? People can't afford stuff. So what can we expect? Most posters on City Data are rich, but I fear most working class in Florida are scraping by on $35k a year or less. So yeah, higher priced food prolly won't sell well.
I would say it's more a matter of quality. Other than Mareno's(?) Bakery in Brandon, there isn't a decent place to buy quality baked goods in the whole east county area.

I can deal with the produce as I'm not as discerning about it, but for things like meat and baked goods, there just isn't any place that has high quality stuff.

Junk food is expensive, relatively speaking. I also think a lot of it has to do with people's unwillingness to devote time to cooking good meals/food, or having the time to do it. Cooking with basic ingredients is often much less expensive than buying prepared foods, not to mention healthier, too.

RM

Old 07-12-2016, 09:26 PM

29 posts, read 31,175 times
Good info, Gipsychic and Spring Hillian on specific places as supermarkets seem to be disappointing. C'est la Vie looks good. The places in Spring Hill look promising but a bit far. The places recommended by Just Visiting are also on my list to visit the next scouting trip, I've been to some of them though.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:24 AM

261 posts, read 258,625 times
I do agree Publix has a quality deli! But most grocery prices there are really expensive. Winn Dixie is about the only Regional chain available in some Florida urban areas of regional grocery as Sweet Bay and Kash and Carry went out of business a few years ago, and there is no Krogers in Florida. Publix is kind of like Disney they pay there workers squat and its like a cultic type chain of command. Publix treats there corporate workers better than Disney however. Publix has a real efficient distribution Supply Chain throughout Florida and are rare that they own and operate there own Tractor Trailers. Decent Company but you got to now how to shop to make out there.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:38 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,005,703 times
Winn Dixie bought out Sweet Bay which Used to be Kash 'n Karry.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:40 AM

131 posts, read 138,644 times
The best food will seek the highest price...is anyone surprised? Some of my groceries comes from Mazzaros, others from Amazon Grocer. I can order beef, elk and buffalo online, so once a month Fedex delivers a styrofoam box with dry ice and rib-eyes.

in the past few years much of your California produce now comes from Mexico, especially produce that has a high water demand. California retains the high price nut and legume market that requires less water.
There's a little known place called the Mariposa port in the Senora desert, there 1,800 truck per day pass through the US Customs services suspicious eyes to bring Hot House produce into the US. Wait time is about 8 hours to get through. From there they drive north to I-10 and go east or west. The Senora desert is mineral rich, just add water. Build a desalination plant on the Sea of Cortez...bingo a Mexican Central valley with a longer growing season.

NY does have a lot more options. It's has a huge port, it is located within a days ride from New England, the Ohio Valley and the Mid-Atlantic states, with a close proximity to the North Atlantic.

Getting back to the best food seeks out the highest prices....if you want the best lobster...go to Las Vegas, Vail, or Paradise Valley, Friends operating lobster boats in the north atlantic pack their catch on Ice, load it on a plane and ship it to the highest payer. It's not hard to understand.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:37 AM

76 posts, read 107,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The funny thing is a high percentage of us "bumpkins" are transplants from the northeast and mid west regions.

If you do all your food shopping in one place, i.e. Publix, Winn Dixie, etc, you are really limiting your choices. We go to a store than specializes in meats and also has a large produce selection. Murphy's Market - HOME

We have a local store foe European items as well as deli and produce https://local.yahoo.com/info-1463983...mpl=UI01:B2388

We also have the option of going directly to the farm for local grown Beasley Farm of Brooksville - LocalHarvest Beasley also sets up a large stand at our Saturday Farmers Market.

For fresh seafood: Whitney's Fresh Market

It's too bad that a lot of you are unable or unwilling, to find out what is available nearby.
Thanks for supporting my post. The places you gave links to are an hour or more outside of Tampa Bay. Please recall that my post was not one wide brush-stroke but specific to the Tampa area not having many good provisions.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:42 AM

76 posts, read 107,669 times
Quote:
Everything is definitely NOT better in New York. But Just Visiting makes some very good points about the deplorable state of food in Florida and Tampa Bay in particular. The other day I asked the meat manager at my Publix why he no longer carried Prime beef. "People just won't pay the prices," he said. And that is basically what is going on.

nobody sells good food because nobody buys it, which is what Just Visiting said

I have some hope that when Sprouts comes in and Lucky's eventually, that those stores will put pressure on Publix and Winn Dixie to up their game. I completely agree when Just Visiting says that Publix and Winn Dixie are stuck in the 1970s.

If you went to a Wegmans or a Central Market in Texas, you would realize that Publix and Winn Dixie are pathetically outdated and sell crap. Although at least Publix sells crap in a very clean atmosphere with friendly employees.

By the way: We shouldn't have to drive to Plant City to find local produce, end of story.

And finally: Please let me know where in Sarasota the French Bakery is, b/c Tampa Bay has exactly ZERO French bakeries.
Does it look like this?
The French Bakery in Sarasota is at 1553 Main Street, just take 75 and exit rte 72 west and go about to the end. There is also a place named "Mozart's" in St. Pete that is ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay