Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 AM

163 posts, read 182,892 times

Advertisements

I just moved to St. Pete and would like to plant thyme, parsley, oregano, basil, and rosemary. I especially use thyme and parsley frequently in cooking. Will these herbs thrive if I plant them now? I would like to plant them in pots to control the soil and limit pesticide and herbicide run off. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 09:04 AM

126 posts, read 141,827 times
Anytime..... I started flowers in mid December, they grew like a weed. It's amazing that you can grow in the winter time..... if you want to call it winter down here.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:12 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,868,969 times
Right now is a good time to plant them.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:07 PM

50 posts, read 77,728 times
Just planted a little more than a month ago. Thyme, rosemary, tomatoes, avocado, bell peppers, strawberries, lettuce, parsley, etc. everything is growing fast and plentiful. Great to be able to do this, hopefully year round.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:22 PM

827 posts, read 684,855 times
It might be too hot for tomatoes and bell peppers to do very well. Are they fruiting yet? The best time of year for tomatoes has been the fall for me. Some things do better in certain months, but it is great being able to garden year round, I agree.

I also have 17 fruit trees and an olive tree. Give some tropical fruits a try. Cheers.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:00 AM

Someone asked me what type of fruit trees in a reputation comment, and since I don't know who and can't respond, I figured I would share.

3 types of Mango: Valencia Pride, NDM, and Carrie
3 types of Banana: Ice Cream, Raja Puri, and Cavendish,
2 types of Lychee: Emperor and Hak Ip
2 types of Guava: White and Barbie Pink
Red Papaya
Sugar Apple
Jack Fruit
Soursop, which is my favorite fruit
Dragon Fruit
Orange
Lemon
Olive

Next year I want to add a few more trees to fill up the yard. Maybe another Soursop, another Mango...

Old 06-18-2016, 02:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,802,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Someone asked me what type of fruit trees in a reputation comment, and since I don't know who and can't respond, I figured I would share.

3 types of Mango: Valencia Pride, NDM, and Carrie
3 types of Banana: Ice Cream, Raja Puri, and Cavendish,
2 types of Lychee: Emperor and Hak Ip
2 types of Guava: White and Barbie Pink
Red Papaya
Sugar Apple
Jack Fruit
Soursop, which is my favorite fruit
Dragon Fruit
Orange
Lemon
Olive

Next year I want to add a few more trees to fill up the yard. Maybe another Soursop, another Mango...
Sorry, that was me. I meant to sign my name to it but accidentally hit the Return instead of the Shift key.

Thanks for sharing your list of Tropical Fruits!
If you don't mind sharing, how much property is all that on and have you had any issues growing those plants?
Also, what area do you live in?
Thanks again!

Old 06-18-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Sorry, that was me. I meant to sign my name to it but accidentally hit the Return instead of the Shift key.

Thanks for sharing your list of Tropical Fruits!
If you don't mind sharing, how much property is all that on and have you had any issues growing those plants?
Also, what area do you live in?
Thanks again!
I live in St Petersburg, and we have a double lot, but our yard isn't huge. The whole yard is edible. We have all of our trees plus a water melon patch, peppers, strawberries, cucumbers, chili peppers, carrots, lemon grass, lots of things. Growing your own food is like growing your own money.

We've had challenges growing some of this stuff. We've had to deal with powdery mildew on two of the mangoes, and the soursop, sugar apple, and guava are sensitive to cold. They are truly tropical trees.

Different trees like different amounts of water too. Soursop doesn't like wet feet, mango doesn't like too much water either, but Lychee loves water, and so does banana. It means that some days we water all trees, and some days we only water some.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:35 PM

50 posts, read 77,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
It might be too hot for tomatoes and bell peppers to do very well. Are they fruiting yet? The best time of year for tomatoes has been the fall for me. Some things do better in certain months, but it is great being able to garden year round, I agree.

I also have 17 fruit trees and an olive tree. Give some tropical fruits a try. Cheers.

The bell pepper plant is doing great. Three rounds of peppers so far. Just planted the tomatoes so hopefully in a couple months I'll be enjoying those.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:41 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,778,446 times
Summer is not a really good time for herbs. At least most of mine got burned pretty quick. But I don't have much shade.
Be careful with tomatoes. When adding the water make sure the leaves are not wet otherwise they go brown and die. But tomatoes as well as peppers are the easiest to grow.
Cucumbers love water, but mine were getting into pear like shapes so I stopped growing them after two years. I read it was due to lack of water and I was watering them like crazy. Then I took a break and recently went back to growing some. I am getting into pineapples recently for lack of maintenance lol
Growing veggies and fruits here are not as easy as it might seem. We were struggling because of animals, birds and different diseases.
The best time for the garden is between September and May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: