U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:29 PM

350 posts, read 263,991 times

Advertisements

If you are in need of a realtor, I can recommend one with absolutely no reservations (not me, nor a family member). Beginning our 9Th year here and could NOT be happier!!! I LOVE TAMPA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 09:49 PM

23 posts, read 65,396 times
Looks like we are in the same situation on one hand; yet, we are retired and husband is blind. Our son lives in Dover. However, Dover seems too rural. We have been researching Tampa area between Tampa and Lakeland. Dunedin is a cute town that seems to be one of the top 15 cities in Florida to live. You may want to look at that city. And Valrico.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:00 PM

23 posts, read 65,396 times
Default Look at Dunedin and Valrico maybe?

Hubby and I are also moving to Tampa area in Fall but from So Cal. We wanted to be near our son in Dover, whom he hasn't seen in many years. They want us to live in Dover; however, it is too rural. With hubby being blind and other disabilities, we wanted to be closer to services, yet in a smaller town. We had looked at Dunedin and think that would be a good destination, as well as Valrico.
There are many places to look at, we found Dunedin was in a list of one of the top 15 places to live in Florida. Check out home insurance before you buy as I hear you have to have a certificate showing no sink holes, or flood plain. Otherwise, yes, it would be best to live closer to work, as it is quite different from where you or we are used to. Many realtors have answered a lot of our questions. Happy searching.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:34 AM

76 posts, read 83,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Then why do you stay? Hubbie and I were going to look in the Dunedin area. Sounds like you don't like anything about Fl. Not saying you're wrong, we may not like it either (doing a road trip next month). Just curious.
Depends where you are from and what you are used to, granted, there is no perfect.

My wife and I have lived in different places both in this country and abroad. We enjoy the good areas here of which there are many (i.e.: most places along the coast). As a rule, we avoid going into Tampa at every opportunity and instead take the hour drive south to Sarasota for shopping necessities.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:24 AM

809 posts, read 561,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGuy View Post
I just drove yesterday from the Airport/Westshore area to SR 52 / Suncoast exit at 5:45 pm, and it took me 45 minutes (about 27 miles). That area out there is still cheap and you could find nice housing in your price range. But you have to pay a toll.

With sunpass, its $2.91 each way, so you are looking at $1500 a year, but the widening will be done completely by 2018, so the traffic in the Hillsborough ave / airport area should clear by then.
I second EngGuy's advice. Consider properties with access to the Veteran's expressway (widening completing this summer on its south end). Or the Suncoast if you want more value for your dollar.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 AM

261 posts, read 188,554 times
I would stay clear of Valrico. The growth along the SR 60 corridor is ridiculous. Its funny how a small farm town has become a big suburb in the last 5 years. Bloomingdale Avenue and SR 60 are in Valrico/Brandon/Bloomingdale is becoming like Ulmerton road and us 19 in Pinellas a total nightmare. The prices in Valrico have risen considerably for rent and housing the last 2 years as more development has occurred because most of the rest of the Tampa Bay urban area is built out, and people unfamiliar with the area choose valrico because there is new development land tracts there. But till they start driving to work in Tampa they wonder what the heck they did.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:02 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,837 posts, read 3,987,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RishardJ View Post
Hello Everyone,
My wife and I are moving to Tampa area this fall/winter for business. We have a 2 year old son. We were looking at certain areas that are more inland like riverview, valrico, seffner and brandon. I was wondering what your thoughts are on those towns. We will most likely be buying a home in the 175-225k range. We just want a decent school district for our son. Thanks in advance.
Some observations:

Your price range won't get you much in these areas, but it will go farther in them compared to places like Wesley Chapel, Westchase or Fishhawk.

Riverview is probably your best bet for new construction, as there is lots of development going on in that area. Just be careful about the northern part, as it is pretty rough on the northern edge. These are existing areas, however, and not much in the way of new construction.

Valrico would be good for existing homes. You'll be on the low end of the housing range, which would probably put you in a 60s-70s era ranch in an older but stable area.

Seffner, otherwise known as "Methner" by many of the locals, is an area to be avoided. Yes, you can probably get more for your housing dollar there, but as the old adage says, you get what you pay for. It can also be a bit rural in parts, which may be good or not, depending on your preferences. Schools won't be top of the line.

Brandon would be on par with Seffner, but it's highly developed and very crowded. Schools will be hit or miss depending on where you go.

Given the choice and depending on whether you want new or existing, Riverview and Valrico would probably be your best choices. Another factor that weighs in here is where you would be working, as commute times can be tough from some of these areas depending on where you're going.

RM

Old 06-17-2016, 10:13 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,837 posts, read 3,987,152 times
Northern Valrico along the SR60 corridor, yes, I would avoid that. Southern Valrico, such as the Buckhorn or Bloomingdale areas are still nice and don't have near the level of congestion or traffic approaching the SR60 area.

As for commute times, I can get to downtown Tampa from Bloomingdale in 30 minutes or less using the Crosstown Expressway reversible lanes at 6:00 am. It's more like 40 minutes later in the morning, as traffic flows well along the route.

RM

Old 06-17-2016, 11:07 AM

37 posts, read 34,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Some observations:

Your price range won't get you much in these areas, but it will go farther in them compared to places like Wesley Chapel, Westchase or Fishhawk.

Riverview is probably your best bet for new construction, as there is lots of development going on in that area. Just be careful about the northern part, as it is pretty rough on the northern edge. These are existing areas, however, and not much in the way of new construction.

Valrico would be good for existing homes. You'll be on the low end of the housing range, which would probably put you in a 60s-70s era ranch in an older but stable area.

Seffner, otherwise known as "Methner" by many of the locals, is an area to be avoided. Yes, you can probably get more for your housing dollar there, but as the old adage says, you get what you pay for. It can also be a bit rural in parts, which may be good or not, depending on your preferences. Schools won't be top of the line.

Brandon would be on par with Seffner, but it's highly developed and very crowded. Schools will be hit or miss depending on where you go.

Given the choice and depending on whether you want new or existing, Riverview and Valrico would probably be your best choices. Another factor that weighs in here is where you would be working, as commute times can be tough from some of these areas depending on where you're going.

RM
Any idea what tolls would be from these areas? My job would be near the airport in Tampa.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:24 AM

37 posts, read 34,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Some observations:

RM
One more thing, is Riverview in a flood zone? And I was reading a lot about limestone? We should ask the realtor to make sure it was inpsected correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or