Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:47 PM

18 posts, read 20,424 times

Advertisements

I am 30 and thinking of moving for a job in tampa, a little north of downtown. I dont know anyone and I am single so will want to be close to nightlife where I can go out and meet new people. Id also love to be able to walk to restaurants or shops, i longboard so a boardwalk i can ride my longboard around would be ideal.

So i guess im hoping for one of two types of places to live,

1. near the water/shops.
I loved st. pete downtown area and see these apartments online for cheap nearby: Rental Apartments Saint Petersburg FL - Downtown Tropicana Field Rays - says its 31 mins to the job id be working. This place seem decent and in a good area? I know there are good bars, shops and a boardwalk to ride down within 2 miles which is perfect.

2. Safe area downtown
I dont know if the tampa nightlife is south tampa, ybor or where, but somewhere with tall buildings and bars would be fun where I could walk to a bar and back in a day or night but staying in a safe area.

So any apartment recommendations for under $1000 a month. Okay with a studio or 1br. Any areas I'm not thinking of that would have a safe nightlife or be near the water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:49 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,971,699 times
As far as Tampa nightlife, it's not quite in Downtown. It's also not far away. Ybor is about a 5 minute drive to Downtown and Seminole Heights is about the same distance.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:13 PM

18 posts, read 20,424 times
ok. I watched some videos of all the people at the bars in ybor city and they looked very trashy. All the houses near it on zillow looked like they hard bars on the windows and were run down/ghetto. Is that not the case?

Old 06-20-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegmedia View Post
ok. I watched some videos of all the people at the bars in ybor city and they looked very trashy. All the houses near it on zillow looked like they hard bars on the windows and were run down/ghetto. Is that not the case?
If you're going to trash the nightlife in Ybor, this probably isn't the city for you.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:50 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,855,177 times
Seminole Heights has some new nice places I have seen recently.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:42 PM

827 posts, read 681,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
If you're going to trash the nightlife in Ybor, this probably isn't the city for you.
^^This. If Ybor City is too trashy, perhaps you want to live in Dunedin.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:28 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,945,989 times
Ybor is ghetto and trashy especially after midnight, very few educated professional types over 23 party there. I would never go there nor would anyone i know. Tampa's premier nightlife is in south tampa primarily around howard ave in soho. Look for an apt anywhere in south tampa. Tons of younger educated working type people, restaurants, nightclubs, etc. Hyde Park Village is essentially being rebuilt with all sorts of entertainment and eating venues. Dont go anywhere near ybor or east tampa. For 1k you can find a decent apt somewhere in south tampa in a decent spot. If you are 30 single and looking to do things there is really nowhere else you would want to live.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
Tons of younger educated working type people, restaurants, nightclubs, etc.
That's a funny way of describing students attending UT (IE: The people who populate SOHO).

Old 06-24-2016, 06:37 AM

819 posts, read 1,394,486 times
I thought the mention of Ybor was kind of funny too. Ybor is trashy, day or night. I meet friends at King Corona a couple times/month and you can't even sit and enjoy a cigar without being hassled by pan handlers, seeing people dig through the trash cans, crazy people walking up/down 7th talking to themselves, and my wife does not feel comfortable going to/from 7th to the garage by herself at night. Ybor's heyday was in the 90's and then they let it slip away.

soho clubs and bars are much better, but there is a heavy d-bag factor, so you have to deal with that group too, but there's enough to do in a very small area that you can easily move around.

Downtown st pete is, and is getting, much better, just replace dbags with hipsters lol, but it would certainly be far more compatible with long boarding due to the sidewalks and parks. In Tampa soho or downtown, really Bayshore Blvd is your only place to do that, but it is a great place for it. Unfortunately the commute to Tampa from DTSP is a beast if you have to go during normal business hours.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:14 PM

17,454 posts, read 38,833,992 times
I used to love Ybor before it became what it is today. I grew up in Tampa and remember when it was just an actual "village" type place with normal businesses.

Anyway, now that I live in Sarasota, I hadn't been to Ybor in a few years, let alone on a Friday night. But I went there with a friend for a performance at Joffrey's Coffee, and walking down 7th Ave at around 7 in the evening I felt like I was literally in a 3rd world country. Just about everyone looked creepy, unsavory, the streets and buildings seemed filthy AND there was a heavy police presence, with stern cops in the middle of the road yelling at people everywhere! And here and there was a heavy stench, almost like urine. I can't believe how it has gone to hell in a handbasket.

YES, OP, what you see in the vids is pretty much what Ybor is like. If you don't mind the commute from St. Pete, that downtown is MUCH MUCH better in every way. Of course, that is JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay