Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:10 PM

10 posts, read 33,425 times

Advertisements

We moved down to FL (from MO) last July. So 11 months ago. Started out in an apt in Brandon, ended up in a house in Zephyrhills last Dec. The mosquitoes these last few months have been the worst I have EVER seen. Hanging around our patios, inside our house, my 16 month old daughter is getting all chewed up with these huge bites, despite putting bug spray on her daily. I don't remember them being this bad last winter, but FL never really gets those hard freezes like MO does, so are mosquitoes in a sense seasonal down here too? Because these last 3 to 4 months they've been really thick. What can we do to try to ward them away from our house so they stop hanging around? We still have a lot to learn about FL obviously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 04:59 AM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah0116 View Post
We moved down to FL (from MO) last July. So 11 months ago. Started out in an apt in Brandon, ended up in a house in Zephyrhills last Dec. The mosquitoes these last few months have been the worst I have EVER seen. Hanging around our patios, inside our house, my 16 month old daughter is getting all chewed up with these huge bites, despite putting bug spray on her daily. I don't remember them being this bad last winter, but FL never really gets those hard freezes like MO does, so are mosquitoes in a sense seasonal down here too? Because these last 3 to 4 months they've been really thick. What can we do to try to ward them away from our house so they stop hanging around? We still have a lot to learn about FL obviously!
I would try and identify the source, as you've got to have some bodies of stagnant water close by for them to breed.

I live within a few hundred yards of a retention pond, and we don't have a significant number of mosquitoes.

With all the Zika stuff going on, there seem to be a lot of companies around advertising mosquito control treatments and products. Have you looked into those?

RM

Old 06-23-2016, 05:50 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,236,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah0116 View Post
Invest in one of these..

Patriot Plus Mosquito Trap Bundle | Large Backyard Control Traps

It will dramatically lower the number of mosquitos your dealing with, if you can find any standing water near by, get rid of it. Also, if there is standing water you cant get rid of (small pond/swamp/etc..) you can try something like this:

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...8O-_-100334779

As far as them being seasonal, for the most part they are gone in the "winter" although id say our season is probably much longer than it is in MO. Id say we still have several months of it and doubt we are even at the peak yet.

I haven't tried this yet but several of our neighbors have recommended using this Skin So Soft product. We hate putting chemicals on the kids if we don't have to, we have another organic one were going to finish before buying this stuff which works ok (but not great)

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_268d1wx0x7_e

Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 AM

I forgot to mention, Pasco county has a mosquito control department which you can "request service" with. I believe they come out and inspect for likely sources of them as well as treat the area..

Welcome to PCMCD

Old 06-27-2016, 11:15 AM

182 posts, read 170,672 times
Heard the mosquito truck come through the other evening. Seems like they're under control.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:22 AM

473 posts, read 543,708 times
Here in Land O Lakes, I dont think I've seen a mosquito yet this year ?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:39 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,005,482 times
It feels like the mosquitoes are year round. I finally broke down and installed a misting system, it's like a sprinkler system but with a natural pesticide. It works amazingly well.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:26 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,176,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
Here in Land O Lakes, I dont think I've seen a mosquito yet this year ?
Neither have I.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
It feels like the mosquitoes are year round. I finally broke down and installed a misting system, it's like a sprinkler system but with a natural pesticide. It works amazingly well.
Can you share any details such as the brand or price?

Old 06-28-2016, 10:44 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,395 times
Build or buy a couple of bat houses. Bats eat around 600 insects in one hour. Instant mosquito control with no pesticides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: