Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamorra2 View Post
Tampa is liberal considering it's in the South. Any city that elects a female democrat as mayor can't be all that conservative.

I've lived everywhere from the hills of KY to San Francisco so I've experienced both ends of the spectrum.
Yes, there are things about Tampa that scream redneck. But in the years I have lived here, I have not personally experienced intolerant people. I'm sure they're here and proudly sporting their "God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" bumper stickers, but if you stay in the city or near the city you'll find that's the exception, not the norm.

That has been my personal experience. I cannot say for sure you won't experience any prejudiced people but you can find that anywhere. Even in downtown San Francisco you'll have your Bible thumpers yelling that the 'homos are going to burn in hell'. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel Tampa is a pretty welcoming city to all types of people.
The difference is in SF most people laugh at them. Sorry we have been here two years and have lived all over the country, this is not a liberal open minded city. They also elected Rhonda Storms.

I have been in a conversations or overheard the N word used here. I am talking about people who you don't even know who assume you share their views.

In most parts of the country people who are racist as least know enough to keep their views to themselves or discuss topics with people who share their views.

Here they're so ignorant they just assume if your white you must talk and think like that. Same thing in regards to gay people.

As I posted earlier TBO has to shut down the comments sections anytime a story is run on gay rights or marriage.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:04 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The difference is in SF most people laugh at them. Sorry we have been here two years and have lived all over the country, this is not a liberal open minded city. They also elected Rhonda Storms.
LOL....come up with something new for a change. Tampa is also home to folks like Joe Redner and he's about as liberal as it gets.

Quote:
In most parts of the country people who are racist as least know enough to keep their views to themselves or discuss topics with people who share their views.
Sound to me like you should chose your friends more carefully, not only are they racist but they're cowardly.

Quote:
As I posted earlier TBO has to shut down the comments sections anytime a story is run on gay rights or marriage.
TBO as well as BN9 have to delete posts and threads on virtually every subject , not just gay issues.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:17 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,224 times
Pinellas County... I live in Hillsborough County currently, lots of gay haters over here.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 PM

TBO actually ends up shutting the comments section down, not just deleting posts anytime a story on gay rights or marriage is run.

The whole comments section is shut down on gay stories.

Tampa is not a liberal minded city. Doesn't mean liberals don't live here. But the city itself is not liberal.

Xlabel, you don't even live here by your own admission, you're in Michigan most of the year...LOL

When people talk about the hot summers here, you're in Michigan. For a part time resident you have a lot to say. when in fact you aren't living here most of the year.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:59 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamorra2 View Post
Tampa is liberal considering it's in the South. Any city that elects a female democrat as mayor can't be all that conservative.
With respect, kamorra, that's as short-sighted as saying that Brian Blair, Kevin White or Ronda Storms (or, for that matter, Susan Stanton) completely defines the area.
There are spots, and there are spots-- hence the OP.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
TBO actually ends up shutting the comments section down, not just deleting posts anytime a story on gay rights or marriage is run.

The whole comments section is shut down on gay stories.

Tampa is not a liberal minded city. Doesn't mean liberals don't live here. But the city itself is not liberal.

Xlabel, you don't even live here by your own admission, you're in Michigan most of the year...LOL

When people talk about the hot summers here, you're in Michigan. For a part time resident you have a lot to say. when in fact you aren't living here most of the year.
Well Tampa may be less gay friendly than St. Pete, but the gays have thier own beach and have parades in the bay area and you certainely don't see any of that up here in the so-called tolerent north.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:53 PM

403 posts, read 1,580,362 times
I would suggest Pinellas County, particularly St. Petersburg. Tampa doesn't really seem to be all that 'gay friendly', compared to Pinellas County. In Hillsborough County, which is the county Tampa is in, bans anything that represents homosexuals, such as the rainbow flag and signs promoting equality for homosexuals is banned and prohibited in public places. And most of Hillsborough County is not all that gay friendly, there have been a lot of hate crimes towards gay people I've heard about in Hillsborough County. But the suburban areas of Tampa, (Pasco, Polk, and Hernando Counties) don't seem to be gay friendly at all. I suggest avoiding those areas.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Well Tampa may be less gay friendly than St. Pete, but the gays have thier own beach and have parades in the bay area and you certainely don't see any of that up here in the so-called tolerent north.

You're in Michigan, not NY or MA.

That is more midwest than the "tolerant North". I'm sure Detroit has parades and fesitivals.

And again TBO has to shut down their board everytime their is a gay story, not just eliminate posts, the whole comments section is closed due to the nasty posts. Usually within an hour of the story being posted.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I would say that Hillsborough County is not really all that gay friendly. Now that is not to say there is not large numbers of gay people living and visiting there. There is and the gay population is really quite large, it is just not a very respected segment of the population. Who would ever guess that, its in America right, The land of the so called free citizens. Well as long as your the right kind of citizen that is. I found the further one goes East of downtown Tampa into the Eastern suburbs, the gay unfriendliness vibe became more strong. In fact its not Tampa proper, but that area from Brandon and especially Valrico into Plant city and Polk County, the anti gay vibe is very noticeable. In fact I would say some of these regions in Central Fla, areas that become more rural can be downright unfriendly to a gay person.

I would stick with areas of Tampa that people have mentioned and definitely the St Pete area or Sarasota.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:01 AM

119 posts, read 206,895 times
As a gay man who moved to this area from the West Coast,over sixteen years ago, I would definitely choose St Pete or Dunedin over anywhere in Tampa! There are areas in Tampa where you might feel ok, but not really welcome. Hillsborough county is extremely anti-gay, especially toward the idea of "gay families". It would not be a good place for your kids. I think they would run into more problems than you. Just because of the attitudes of their classmates and their parents.
St Petersburg and Dunedin are much more welcoming. Gulfport, has a large Lesbian population and has a small town feel. Dunedin is a small friendly town. I think this is because it has many Canadians. Tampa is mainly Cuban American and Redneck, both of which are not very Gay Friendly groups. I got out of Tampa as soon as I was able, it was one of the worst life choices I ever made. On the other hand, I would move back to St Pete in a flash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay