Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 17,167 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking to move to tampa with my Partner. We have a 5 year old and would like to know what parts of tampa/St. Pete's area would be friendly to our family and have good schools. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 PM

84 posts, read 384,439 times
I am not really familiar w/ the Tampa side but I can give you a little info on the Pinellas side. Some areas are a little more friendly, downtown St. Pete, Kenwood area, Gulfport, the beaches, Dunedin is north but very open and a beautiful area also.

For schools, you might want to go on the Pinellas County Schools web page and you can see all the schools and all the info on them. We have a brand new system for choosing schools and the best advice I can give you is do your homework because the new system has gone from a choice based program back to a neighborhood school system and it makes a big difference now where you decide to buy or rent. Just google pinellas county schools and it is a really simple website to navigate. I wish you luck and welcome to the area

Old 02-18-2008, 05:48 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I don't think you would have a problem anywhere in Tampa, but S. Tampa is where I would recommend.
I have some good friends who are gay with 2 children and they haven't had any problems. They don't live in S. Tampa but have said if they didn't have a house already, they would live in S. Tampa.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 AM

15 posts, read 48,474 times
My other half and I moved to St. Pete from Tampa mainly so my other half could go to law school at Stetson but, the other reason is because St. Pete is a lot more open minded than Tampa is and even thought about being. Well, it's really not the city of Tampa itself its Hillsborough County. We have never had any problems in St. Pete and really enjoy the area. Streets and layout of the city is much better than Tampa and it's easier to get around. If your looking for the club scene then Tampa and St. Pete really doesn't have much but, just everyday life without worrying about your neighbor then you would be fine in either city. Just a last thought, I would stay away from Riverview and Brandon area, not at all gay friendly.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times
When in Florida look for the concrete..LOL. City = Liberal Island in this Conservative Sea

Old 02-19-2008, 03:48 PM

17 posts, read 78,197 times
You will want to be in South Tampa. There are many gay couples with children in the area. Plant High school district is the best. Downtown and the airport are just a 5 minute drive..Any question just ask.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:50 AM

5 posts, read 17,167 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for all your replies. I am slightly leaning toward St. Petersburg and Denedin. Can anyone tell how a gay family with a child would be accepted (or not) in Dunedin?

Old 03-25-2008, 11:46 AM

849 posts, read 3,527,969 times
Thumbs down 5 minutes!

NO way, maybe at 2 am running lights and street racing.
be honest. you don't help anyone by exaggerating. during rush hour it's practically gridlock on the major streets and it's at least 15 min. with the lights and traffic even if it is only 2-3 mi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperFlys View Post
You will want to be in South Tampa. There are many gay couples with children in the area. Plant High school district is the best. Downtown and the airport are just a 5 minute drive..Any question just ask.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:56 PM

84 posts, read 384,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdedsb View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I am slightly leaning toward St. Petersburg and Denedin. Can anyone tell how a gay family with a child would be accepted (or not) in Dunedin?

Dunedin is a VERY friendly and liberal city w/ no problems for your family. It is very diverse and we have things going on almost every weekend, couples can walk around holding hands and no one would even give a second glance. You will LOVE it here and if you have any questions, just let me know! !

Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 PM

409 posts, read 1,505,324 times
Like a couple people have mentioned, I would also highly recommend Dunedin. It is a relatively safe, family, neighborly area. It has an awesome little downtown. It is near the center of Pinellas County. My only complaint is that it isn't as diverse as I would prefer but neither is it's neighbor to the north Palm Harbor which is where I currently reside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay