Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 06:21 AM

163 posts, read 183,671 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and am wondering when it starts to cool down a bit here. And by cool down, I mean average temps of 85 ish instead of 90+. I'm from Louisiana, so I'm used to the heat and humidity, but even in New Orleans the humidity starts to wane in late September, and it's pleasant from October through early May. When do temps start to drop into 80s average vs. 90s? My sweet spot is highs in mid 80s and lows in mid 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 07:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If you're lucky November

Old 07-10-2016, 07:30 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
It lasts a lot longer than in New Orleans. Sometimes it can be very hot and humid on Christmas. But yeah, usually into November.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:51 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
It depends. One year we had a couple of cool days in September; I think it was 2002 and it was unusual enough that I remember the year! Last autumn it didn't cool off until January. We had the a/c on Thanksgiving and Christmas. The year before that we had a cooler holiday.

Like anyplace else in the county sometimes it will start cooling off a little in October but don't wear a hot Halloween costume or you will roast. Sometimes not till November. The most notable difference is a little less humidity by October.

But even after we get our first "cold front" it only lasts a few days and then our highs are back into the 80's with the lows in the 60's. Throw away your winter coat - you won't need it. :-)

Old 07-10-2016, 07:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Usually October for temps in the 80s and lighter air (less humid). We actually had nice weather all through May this year, with temps in the 80s and lower humidity. Every year is different though, in general you can usually count on Nov - April for the best weather, with it sometimes starting in Oct. and lasting through May. It's not set in stone.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:59 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
I find October very pleasant...once I realized not to buy long sleeve Halloween costumes with masks for my then 3 and 10 year olds... It is still warm during October afternoons but the mornings and evenings are comfortable...imho...May can be a little trickier...humidity really begins to kick in...but again mornings and evenings in early May are usually tolerable...but it's really all according to the person...when we moved here from NY I quickly realized that we were experiencing the same number of crappy months (weather wise) just on the other end of the spectrum...

Old 07-10-2016, 10:59 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
when we moved here from NY I quickly realized that we were experiencing the same number of crappy months (weather wise) just on the other end of the spectrum...
I realized the same thing but after almost 15 years I am realizing it is more enjoyable to have nice weather over the summer when everyone is in the spirit of being outside and doing things and the days are long. In Tampa the summer spirit doesnt exist, people are beat down from the oppressive heat and the mild weather over the winter just isnt the same as the beautiful long summer days and the vibe that goes with it. Our mild winters come with shorter days, dark by 5:30 in december, hectic holidays, tourists and transients everywhere, cold fronts every week or so and its just not the same as the beautiful summer season and vibe up north. The tradeoff is the tough winter in ny which is basically late december thru march these days. Those that flee to florida solely for weather are usually the most unhappy with their decision unless they go elsewhere over the unbearable summer months. There is no glorious traditional summer here its a survival test at best, you can see it on peoples faces.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:18 PM

163 posts, read 183,671 times
That makes sense, but it's all relative. Being from Louisiana and living in the Carolinas for 12 years with a one year detour in Manhattan, I can say that the summers are super hot and "lazy" all across the South. You just have to figure out the best way to maximize the hot season, whether it be spending time indoors or on/in the water. I get pretty bad Seasonal Affective Disorder in the winter when it's so cold that you can't do anything outdoors, so I'm looking forward to enjoying time outside all winter long even after dark. And I've heard that winter here is the season for fun and festivities just like Louisiana, so I'm excited for that.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:10 PM

201 posts, read 237,578 times
Towards the end of October should have a slight cooling .... if we're lucky. But definitely by mid November.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:27 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,163,729 times
October feels hotter to me somehow.. November better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay