U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 02:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,284,391 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to talk my spouse into switching carriers as soon as our contract is up with Verizon. We pay $186 a month for 2 smart phone and two tablets. Some months the bill is higher and I am getting so annoyed!! (I am the one that pays the cell bill) We have unlimited minutes and texting but share 6 GB of data. I have wifi at work but spouse does not and is always causing us to go over the data so right before we do, we have to call and up it to 12GB and then switch back to 6GB when that month is over. UGH!!!
I can't take this high bill anymore! We used to have US Cellular and AT&T years ago but coverage was not good. I am hoping when we switch that coverage will be ok. All I know is I can't afford this ridiculous bill anymore......last month it was $221! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 07:29 AM

238 posts, read 471,812 times
AT & T i think has improved a LOT in the last few years..I always had verizon on Net10 and when i switched to Cricket (which is owned by and uses AT & T Towers) i was amazed at how reliable and dependable it has been and it seems to be as good as verizon now...I'd give Cricket a try if i were you...try it on one phone just to test it out and see how it works out for you...

I live in NYC and it's been great for me...

Old 07-21-2016, 10:17 AM

131 posts, read 107,248 times
I also needed a secure phone and network under contract. When we parted with Blackberry, the only phone that could be certified at the time was a Samsung Galaxy 4. I use Saphos Android Mobile services. I also use their products on OSX, Windows and Linux OS. It just works.
Many services have developed through the years to inform consumers about Cell-Networks but I think RootMetrics is probable the best measure of performance. RootMetrics

T-Mo was not friendly in the Dakota territories, but they share cell towers with At&T, and contract to a tower company called Phoenix Phoenix Tower International to fill in the blanks.
I've never had an issue with T-Mo's customer service or billing, and was relieved to get away at&t's service who had the worst reputation at the time.
I may have been a iPhone customer if not for the exclusivity of Apple & At&t in the early years, these days a Galaxy is still considered secure by the DoD and the 7 is hard to beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
I've got VZ on a corporate plan with about 15 phones. Great coverage, great speeds, hate everything else, from price to phones, plan specs and software. They ratchet the data allowance down as often as they can, and incrementally raise the price the same way, so they really go above and beyond to make loyal customers hate them.

The real sticking point for me is that in my profession, network security is a big deal, and with the exception of iPhones, VZ owns the firmware/OS patch responsibility on the hardware; i.e. your android updates are their responsibility, not the phone manufacturer. What you end up with is ancient versions of android and no quick release of security patches. Your phone will be running old code and vulnerable to security issues fairly quickly.

For example, I have some droid turbo's on my plan, and it took them 14 months to release updates that patched the "stagefright" vulnerability; that's the one where an Android-based phone could execute malicious code simply by receiving a text message when auto MMS download is enabled. So while my staff on other providers had patches within weeks, my staff using Android on VZ had to have MMS auto download disabled for over a year waiting for VZ to release patches. Additionally, all my VZ Android users are typically a year or more behind on Android versions, and the phone that is currently considered a 'flagship' model won't be for long, and then the updates stop coming. Droid Turbo users are still on 5.1, 18 months out of date, and there's no plans for VZ to release anything newer. They also lock the boot loader so you can't throw your own version on the phone; so it's go with the old version they want you to have, or switch providers.

If you can avoid VZ, due to not needing their coverage, I would.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:37 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,450,350 times
We've been very happy w/ Tracfones for many years. Just buy a triple minute phone online at Tracfone or eBait for $10 shipped, load it up w/ minutes, get triple the time, and away you go. We don't use them as primary phones, and have AT&T wireless for the house ($27 including all taxes for unlimited talk time, free long distance, and a locked in rate for as long as we stay w/ AT&T), So $27 for that and maybe $20-$25 a month or less for the Tracfones. Coverage and reception have been fine in St Pete. The phone worked well when the wife recently traveled to Hawaii too.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,484,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Go with Lycamobile - you'll pay $120 for 4 phone - all unlimited(data, voice, text)
how's the customer service with lycamobile? ez enough to chat online for info ?

Old 07-22-2016, 07:59 PM

721 posts, read 292,385 times
T-Mobile doesn't require a contract, so +1 for T-Mobile. The service is OK. I only rarely get a voicemail without a missed call.

Verizon is the best provider though. However it is a bit more expensive.

I use T-Mobile only because I don't need a contract. If they did contracts, I would have gotten Verizon even though it is more expensive because it is that much better.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:18 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,857,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
how's the customer service with lycamobile? ez enough to chat online for info ?
Not sure about chatting online but they are available over the phone.

I haven't had a reason to call customer service, they rent network bandwidth from t-mobile so as long as t-mobile coverage is good - this is good.

Every month, am saving about 20-30 bucks compared to the prior plan that I was in and I have been with them for about 3 yrs now.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:06 AM

131 posts, read 107,248 times
RootMetrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
T-Mobile doesn't require a contract, so +1 for T-Mobile. The service is OK. I only rarely get a voicemail without a missed call.

Verizon is the best provider though. However it is a bit more expensive.

I use T-Mobile only because I don't need a contract. If they did contracts, I would have gotten Verizon even though it is more expensive because it is that much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay