U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:40 PM

747 posts, read 758,878 times

Advertisements

Friend of mine is an agent and has advanced degrees in stuff that 99.9% of the county wouldn't even understand conceptually (hardcore science and math). Left his prior career and got into RE. Has done very, very well. Humble and a very nice guy as well. At that kind of level (8 figure listings), clients don't suffer fools.

Not every RE agent is a functional illiterate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekelback View Post
Real estate sales people are akin to used car hawkers who are only licensed by the State. Passing an exam in FL is no guarantee of competence, market savvy, pricing knowledge, legal issues, or anything else. They are paid commission sales people licensed by the state of Florida, nothing more. Most haven't even finished undergraduate school not to mention having an advanced degree in ANYTHING. Just ask them about their academic background...you might be surprised indeed.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:49 PM

25,876 posts, read 39,129,864 times
Quote:
Real estate sales people are akin to used car hawkers who are only licensed by the State. Passing an exam in FL is no guarantee of competence, market savvy, pricing knowledge, legal issues, or anything else. They are paid commission sales people licensed by the state of Florida, nothing more. Most haven't even finished undergraduate school not to mention having an advanced degree in ANYTHING. Just ask them about their academic background...you might be surprised indeed.
I don't believe Buffett has a College degree and neither many other successful people who have not gone through College.

On top of that in my opinion it is an insult to just label an entire branch of professionals the way you did.

To me that says a lot about people who put a label like that on two entire branches of professionals.

Usually people who do so will not disclose their profession and often have they never owned a home, are living of entitlements (which is nothing to be ashamed of but at least be grateful and not trash others who work hard) and have no way of knowing how good realtors have prevented a lot of issues for their clients and often made their clients very happy and got them something they were not able to do on their own.

We have come across a lot of bad realtors and we know there are still bad realtors out there, unfortunately but there are bad teachers, bad doctors, bad lawyers, bad employees, bad lawn companies, bad people in every profession out there.

BUT there are more good professionals and thanks to great hard working teachers my kids are where they are in life, great doctors after seeing more than a dozen to have one of my kids finally 80% pain free after 2 surgeries after a bad driver hit our car...yes there are bad drivers too!

There are people who can defend themselves in court and don't need a lawyer, some feel they are the best lawyers or doctors themselves and know it all. Some may have wished they hired a lawyer but they learned the hard way. Some feel a professional makes too much money like plastic surgeons and they go abroad to later have it reversed by a board certified plastic surgeon after cheap turned out to be bad.

We now have a lot of home schooled kids who's parents replaced teachers and feel that parents are better teachers.
We already have auto pilot in cars to replace bad drivers and that hasn't turned out too well for the person who got killed by the car who took over driving for him.

Usually remarks like this poster made that I quoted in this post come from never working with a good realtor and never meeting a good car sales person.

Luckily we have

Old 08-20-2016, 10:02 PM

3,313 posts, read 4,305,634 times
Quote:
Ha-ha! You are right on the spot and just nailed it. Sure some might have better education/background, but majority is not. Man, I love this profession when you basically don't need to answer any question most normal people have about the house they buy - for example, the condition of the roof or cost of repair - you as an agent tell them - hire a home inspector (and I will recommend you one very good because I will be rewarded for that lol). People ask about future pool or additions or rules and you as an agent refer them to HOA... People try to get mortgage and of course you can refer them to your mortgage guy (and get referral for that as well). People have question about something in standard purchase contract? No problem, you as an agent refer them to discuss it with the lawyer. Dealing with paperwork for closing? Again, title company will be doing all work. Isn't it a brilliant job? And the best part you as an agent is getting paid % of the sale price (like more expensive homes needs extra work from you lol).

I asked this question before and open to hear something new - what is really a realtors job? What exactly people need to expect from GOOD AGENT? What this good agent can do what you cannot considering we are in Internet era and can find comp prices online within minutes?

Old 08-20-2016, 10:06 PM

3,313 posts, read 4,305,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Agree 100%...if you are familiar with the market use the listing agent...I have done it multiple times and it saved me thousands...we are selling our home currently and are listed with an agent...however I have no intention of buying with that agent unless they are the listing agent on the home I wish to purchase...
Just wondering why you decided not to use flat fee realtor? It's much better than trying to sell it as For Sale By Owner, because your house is going straight to MLS and getting to all other sites like Zillow and Redfin within few days, and you don't need to pay anything other than flat fee cost upfront. I would guess your home's price is above average in the area, but I still believe listing agent will not be much help if your listing is in MLS anyways. Did you think about it?
Disclaimer: we used flat fee agents few time and never had issues. It saved us thousands of dollars and I am planning to sell one more house like that soon.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:27 AM

7,095 posts, read 3,455,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Just wondering why you decided not to use flat fee realtor? It's much better than trying to sell it as For Sale By Owner, because your house is going straight to MLS and getting to all other sites like Zillow and Redfin within few days, and you don't need to pay anything other than flat fee cost upfront. I would guess your home's price is above average in the area, but I still believe listing agent will not be much help if your listing is in MLS anyways. Did you think about it?
Disclaimer: we used flat fee agents few time and never had issues. It saved us thousands of dollars and I am planning to sell one more house like that soon.
We have bought/sold 9 properties in the past 30+ years. All but the last one (here in Gulfport) was with a realtor. Our current home was listed FSBO on Zillow by the then owners. It was the smoothest, with the least drama, house transaction we ever had.

If and when we sell this house, it'll be FSBO.

I don't mean to bash realtors, but I feel they are like travel agents....no longer necessary and soon will disappear altogether. People have access to MLS, Zillow, etc. People can apply for mortgages via their phones nowadays. People can hire their own inspectors if they feel a need to. Hire a lawyer to review their contract, if they want. Closings/settlements are done via Title Companies, who also issue title insurance...this is done whether you use a realtor or not.

People are just not going to continue to pay $20,000 real estate commissions every time they sell a home, when they can do it themselves.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:17 AM

6,587 posts, read 6,818,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
We have a very unique floor plan...full in-law suite and over 4700 sq. ft...I wanted this realty team because I know they do a top job marketing plan and will keep lookey loos away...in the sense that other realtors respect them and won't waste my time...I had one realtor from Charles Rutenberg that was very unprofessional and when I gave feed back the next day I told my realtor about it...needless to say that realtor will never show one of my realtor's listings again...

Old 08-21-2016, 10:21 AM

3,206 posts, read 1,634,501 times
I have had dealings with at least a dozen Real Estate agent in our Florida housing search odyssey. The majority were OK except for a few that were only interested in pushing a house on us after 3 days. Most had less than no clue about renovation costs. We met one agent who used to be a developer and he is more helpful than all the rest put together. We looked at a foreclosure with an agent who told us the price they were asking was fair and we decide to keep looking. I told the other agent and in 5 mins he determined the house had been vacant for 4 years. With the advent of the internet agents are becoming less important. I have met some excellent dedicated agents who were a pleasure to deal with but most are just interested in a commission.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:08 AM

1,142 posts, read 776,399 times
Quote:
Lots of jobs are phasing out due to technology. Frankly I don't hold out commissioned real estate hawkers as "professionals" in the traditional sense. They obtain signed contracts, represent physical properties, and facilitate a "transaction" for a self-serving amount of money. People used to be forced to use a traditional "stock and bond broker" to buy, sell or trade securities, commodities and options. So what? that no longer is necessary. People used to have to go to an accountant or an authorized federal tax preparer to submit their own taxes. That too is no longer the case..there is a plethora of online resources to prepare tax returns. The same thing is true is preparing operational books/cashflow for big business and small business..Physicians don't have to hire specialized employees to prepare coding for medical records or reporting to Medicare anymore (if they do, they are poorly informed).
Speaking of used car salesmen : Customers don't have to call or go by a shyster car lot to know the value of their trade-in, or to find the very detailed true cost of any new vehicle by any manufacturer.
[quote=Haslem;45209467]Professionals ?? real estate hawkers?

Used Car salesmen professional?? not really, sorry

Here's something to think about, you don't see or read many Doctors, Educators, Attorneys or other true professionals asserting their presence, expertise and "advice" on a continuum hanging out on the internet or on sites such as City-Data. Most of them are too busy practicing their "craft", not posting on forums and blogs during the work week, or day in day out like they seem to have time to do here. Neither do other Hawkers like used car salesmen - they're out there trying to meet customers on the Lot or making phone calls or emails to prospects. Just look at how many real estate hawkers logon on to this site every day, wasting their time! Offering up useless opinion to complete strangers on this forum.

The bolded statement fits you to a tee Shekie.

You don't see useful members that are offering helpful info getting banned from CD every few days.

CD members can expect to see Sheckie posting as: Haslem, Shekelback, Kalem Pongwang, Xia Sgan,TheSkyster, SusieClue, LeMeme and a few others. And that's after having five names banned yesterday.
It's funny to see someone ranting about folks wasting time on the internet yet is so obsessed to hide under dozens of names while posting all day.

Just don't expect me to tip you for carrying my groceries out to the car Shekie. LoL.

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-22-2016 at 07:49 AM..

Old 08-21-2016, 08:19 PM

1,352 posts, read 729,933 times
I guess I don't know what having an advanced education and selling real estate have in common. I find it a bit distasteful to see people slam an entire group of people as basically being incompetent because of what, in their opinion, the agents have less education. I challenge anyone to provide a statistic to support that.

That said, I don't think having a formal education background makes anyone better or worse than another. I've known people who were college scholars from some of the best universities and colleges and yet they were just plan stupid. Sure, they knew theoretically how things should work but putting education to practice was impossible for them. I've also known people who did not go to college but were very capable of seeing the big picture and excelled in business.

To see people denigrate a group of people based on education level achieved, well.... just seems to show idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or