Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 03:52 PM

29 posts, read 106,904 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Florida and was wondering about job opportunities. I work in a college and would like to stay working in higher education (I am not a professor though). I am now living in a small town in NY State, which is very cold. I like the small town feel, low crime rate, everything close, not too much traffic - but I don't know how many more winters I can take. This move would not happen right away, probably not until the end of this year, beginning of next but I like to do my research before moving. Are there many jobs for someone in higher education (I have a college degree)? What are some nice smallish towns that are not too expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 04:33 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,239,167 times
Here is the one thing that I would consider: funding at public institutions is being drastically slashed! I work at USF and 20% of my department's budget is getting cut (i.e., many support staff and non-tenured professors). The rest of the state is in a similar crunch. This might not be the same for private universities, but even if their funding is OK, you have to consider that a percentage of USF is going to be getting slashed and these individuals will all be looking for new jobs as well!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,372,581 times
If your looking for a small town feel and to work in higher education in the Tampa Bay area, maybe St. Leo College, about 45 minutes north of downtown Tampa.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:40 AM

849 posts, read 3,525,320 times
Default there's also

Eckerd in St. Pete. SP is a city but it's pretty laid back. Way less intense than Tampa. Also there's St. Petersburg College which used to be the JC but is now 4 year. Stetson Law is in adjoining Gulfport. Stetson's main campus is in De Land over near the East coast. U of FL is in Gainesville and that has a small town feel still. There is something called Everest which used to be Florida Metropolitan. They are an accredited school but specialize in career oriented programs. There are a number of others of this type here. There's even a small seminary that is fully accredited on the undergrad and Master's level in St. Pete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
If your looking for a small town feel and to work in higher education in the Tampa Bay area, maybe St. Leo College, about 45 minutes north of downtown Tampa.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:23 AM

29 posts, read 106,904 times
[SIZE=3]Thanks so much for everyone's help. I guess I should also look outside of the college setting and look into for-profit businesses and see what else is there - but I have done Alumni Relations and Fundraising for so long I don't know what else I would do.[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay