U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2016, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,522 posts, read 3,649,318 times
Reputation: 3308

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
When people who have lived in non-urban areas and relocate to an urban area it seems shock sets in.

Traffic, crime, housing costs, insurance costs, all become a huge surprise. Once that realization sets in they find fault with it all because telling the world about their findings eases the shock.

It plays out here time after time. They come, their bubble bursts and they cry incessantly.
And then they leave?

When I moved to this area nearly 20 years ago I knew it was going to be more expensive in some respects. In others, such as no state income tax, not. It all balances out for the most part, or so I have found.

And as I have said on more than one occasion, when someone finds the absolutely perfect place to live, I want to know about it. I don't think it exists.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2016, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,201,348 times
Reputation: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
And then they leave?

When I moved to this area nearly 20 years ago I knew it was going to be more expensive in some respects. In others, such as no state income tax, not. It all balances out for the most part, or so I have found.

And as I have said on more than one occasion, when someone finds the absolutely perfect place to live, I want to know about it. I don't think it exists.

RM

Perfect place? No such place for everyone. If you put some people on a private island they would complain there is no shopping.

Hopefully Morton, they actually do leave, eventually.

Whether a place is more expensive or not is very dependent on where you are coming from.

Anyone expecting to find "paradise" is foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 11:42 AM
 
1,562 posts, read 804,476 times
Reputation: 2179
Wages here are lower than the same jobs in other metros. Just look at the Dept. of Labor Occupational Handbook, which is fairly accurate and compare to rentals on the HUD site, with Hillsborough county having fairly high rents with respect to low wages.


All you can do is arm yourself with a skilled profession or a good education, work hard and try to network. That's all you can do. Rents aren't going to drop and wages are not going to increase anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 02:54 PM
 
Location: -"`-._,-'"`-._, ☀ Sunny Florida ☀ ,-"`-._,-'"`-.
1,352 posts, read 722,310 times
Reputation: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
You're wrong in the sense that we have the highest insurance rates in the nation. We don't.

True, compared to the Midwest and some western states our insurance is expensive, but we're nowhere near the top state of Michigan, which is over $1,000 more a year average than Florida.

If you open up that range a couple hundred bucks, the size of the pool gets even larger, with nearly half of the states falling into it. That means that Florida is as expensive as half of the 50 states.

Car insurance rates by state: Most and least expensive

If Tallahassee would get its act together and dump or clamp down on PIP, our rates would drop a bit, as that's one of our largest costs.

RM
Rates vary significantly by zip code even within the state. According to this Miami is the most expensive at $2,248 (no shock to me) and Waldo (Where's Waldo) is the least expensive $1,078.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 13,201,348 times
Reputation: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Rates vary significantly by zip code even within the state. According to this Miami is the most expensive at $2,248 (no shock to me) and Waldo (Where's Waldo) is the least expensive $1,078.
That is a fact. It depends, among many other factors where the caras lives, where it is driven, if its in a garage or not. The bigger the metro area, the higher the risks to the insurer thus higher premiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 05:37 PM
 
49 posts, read 29,205 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Based on my experience I would say what you are paying, and now what I am paying, for auto insurance is high. You don't mention what value of your vehicles are, nor what coverage and deductibles you have or even what insurance company you have. Saying you pay $960 without that information is useless information, but as I'll show below, it's well above what I and my family pay.

To give an idea on how expensive the auto insurance is here, we are in our early 50's, perfect driving records with no ticket/accidents. When I lived in suburb in Chicago (where there is still plenty of traffic and congestion), we had 2 cars (2014 Cadenza and 2015 AWD Explorer). We had 100/300 coverage with $500 deductible. We were paying $340 for 6 months for both of us. We moved here in February, the same vehicles with similar coverage and deductibles would have been $1,200 (3.5x more). This was with same insurance company, Geico, which is one of the largest in Florida.

We decided we don't need two cars, especially an AWD so we sold the Explorer (we didn't have to pay to ship it too). The best rate I could find is with Progressive, our next 6 month premium will be $550 for one car, while coverage is similar the differences in Illinois vs Florida coverage requirements made some minor differences. That's still more than I was paying for 2 cars when I lived in Chicago area. BTW, Geico for one car was over $800.

For full disclosure/comparison our coverage in Florida is PD $100, BI $250/500, UM $100/300, Comp/Coll $500 deductible (also includes PI, Med Payments, and rental (now more necessary as we have one car).

To give another comparison point, my daughter moved to Vegas area. She's 28, clean record and driving a 2016 Ford Escape. She's paying $380/6 months for full coverage 50/100, $500 deductible (also with Progressive).

So "paradiselost" is spot on regarding the high cost of auto insurance in the area. Even your GF rate of $660/6 months is about double what my daughter of similar age.
I'd be curious how much of that premium was the explorer. But regardless, I don't think anyone would say paying a little over $100 a month for essentially every coverage available with reasonable deductibles on a $40k vehicle is "outrageous." I would call that reasonable. In any state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 07:09 AM
 
Location: -"`-._,-'"`-._, ☀ Sunny Florida ☀ ,-"`-._,-'"`-.
1,352 posts, read 722,310 times
Reputation: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRG22 View Post
I'd be curious how much of that premium was the explorer. But regardless, I don't think anyone would say paying a little over $100 a month for essentially every coverage available with reasonable deductibles on a $40k vehicle is "outrageous." I would call that reasonable. In any state.
I looked through my old insurance papers. I was able to find a renewal policy that we had just prior to moving to Florida. It had only the Cadenza on it as Explorer was then sold. It was $245 for 6 months. So, dropping the Explorer only reduced the policy by a little over $100 for 6 months.

Coverage in Illinois - $245/6 mo (Geico)
  • BI (300/300) - $66
  • PD (100) - $60
  • Medical ($5K) - $7
  • UI (300/300) - $10
  • Comp ($500 ded) -$9
  • Collision ($500 ded) - $80
  • Rental ($50/day) - $13

Coverage in Florida - $507/6 mo (Progressive - changed as they were less expensive than Geico)
  • BI (250/500) - $124 (twice as much)
  • PD (100) - $115 (twice as much)
  • Medical ($5K) - $10
  • UI (100/300) -$92 (NINE TIMES AS MUCH!!)
  • PIP - $43 (No such coverage in Illinois)
  • Comp ($500 ded) - $27 (three times as much)
  • Collision ($500 ded) - $85
  • Rental ($30/day) - $11

My rate in Chicago area (much more of a major urban area than Tampa) was $40/month. Same drivers, car, coverage and insurance company here is $130/month (quote above is for Progressive which was better priced). The only real difference is the location which accounts for more then 3x the cost of coverage with the largest increase being in UI/PIP of $125 followed by $113 for BI/PD increase. Having more than one data point shows you how "outrageous" the costs are in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 11:39 AM
 
15,109 posts, read 30,995,525 times
Reputation: 18190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I looked through my old insurance papers. I was able to find a renewal policy that we had just prior to moving to Florida. It had only the Cadenza on it as Explorer was then sold. It was $245 for 6 months. So, dropping the Explorer only reduced the policy by a little over $100 for 6 months.

Coverage in Illinois - $245/6 mo (Geico)
  • BI (300/300) - $66
  • PD (100) - $60
  • Medical ($5K) - $7
  • UI (300/300) - $10
  • Comp ($500 ded) -$9
  • Collision ($500 ded) - $80
  • Rental ($50/day) - $13

Coverage in Florida - $507/6 mo (Progressive - changed as they were less expensive than Geico)
  • BI (250/500) - $124 (twice as much)
  • PD (100) - $115 (twice as much)
  • Medical ($5K) - $10
  • UI (100/300) -$92 (NINE TIMES AS MUCH!!)
  • PIP - $43 (No such coverage in Illinois)
  • Comp ($500 ded) - $27 (three times as much)
  • Collision ($500 ded) - $85
  • Rental ($30/day) - $11

My rate in Chicago area (much more of a major urban area than Tampa) was $40/month. Same drivers, car, coverage and insurance company here is $130/month (quote above is for Progressive which was better priced). The only real difference is the location which accounts for more then 3x the cost of coverage with the largest increase being in UI/PIP of $125 followed by $113 for BI/PD increase. Having more than one data point shows you how "outrageous" the costs are in this area.
It's probably because Florida is a "no-fault" state, and Illinois is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 355,498 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I looked through my old insurance papers. I was able to find a renewal policy that we had just prior to moving to Florida. It had only the Cadenza on it as Explorer was then sold. It was $245 for 6 months. So, dropping the Explorer only reduced the policy by a little over $100 for 6 months.

Coverage in Illinois - $245/6 mo (Geico)
  • BI (300/300) - $66
  • PD (100) - $60
  • Medical ($5K) - $7
  • UI (300/300) - $10
  • Comp ($500 ded) -$9
  • Collision ($500 ded) - $80
  • Rental ($50/day) - $13

Coverage in Florida - $507/6 mo (Progressive - changed as they were less expensive than Geico)
  • BI (250/500) - $124 (twice as much)
  • PD (100) - $115 (twice as much)
  • Medical ($5K) - $10
  • UI (100/300) -$92 (NINE TIMES AS MUCH!!)
  • PIP - $43 (No such coverage in Illinois)
  • Comp ($500 ded) - $27 (three times as much)
  • Collision ($500 ded) - $85
  • Rental ($30/day) - $11

My rate in Chicago area (much more of a major urban area than Tampa) was $40/month. Same drivers, car, coverage and insurance company here is $130/month (quote above is for Progressive which was better priced). The only real difference is the location which accounts for more then 3x the cost of coverage with the largest increase being in UI/PIP of $125 followed by $113 for BI/PD increase. Having more than one data point shows you how "outrageous" the costs are in this area.
I understand. How much were you paying in property taxes/sales tax/potholes taxes/dmv fees/service taxes and more taxes in Chicago? We came here from Westchester County, NY and there wasn't a thing that government didn't tax. My full coverage here is around $105 a month - $50 would be great but I'll live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 355,498 times
Reputation: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's probably because Florida is a "no-fault" state, and Illinois is not.
Yep. It's the same in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top