Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 02:31 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Uhhhh........

Tampa alone:

One of the oldest restaurants in the U.S.: The Columbia
James Beard runner up: The Refinery
Owned by the same guy as the Refinery: Fodder & Shine
One of my favorites: The Front Porch
Best pizza you're likely to get: Bavaro's.
Coolest bar with food: The Independent
Another awesome bar/restaurant: Tampa Bay Brewing Company
Never been, but heard good things: Rooster and the Til
Ella's
Cappy's (which, admittedly, sucks)
Urban Cantina
Taco Bus
Datz
Ducky's
Bern's
Holy Hog BBQ

All in Hillsborough, all locally owned, all off the top of my head. Pinellas has more? So what? Keep in mind, this list is only Tampa restaurants. I could throw in some others from outside city limits too.
I actually do business with quite a few of those by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 02:33 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Trust me, I live in Hillsborough.. why would I want to drive to Pinellas if I did not have too?
Quality > Quantity

I'll take Tampa's restaurants over anything in Pinellas.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:01 PM

33 posts, read 52,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Love Culver's. There are better burgers, but it's better than most fast food options. Have you been to Burger Monger yet?

Thanks for the tip on Burger Monger. I plan on visiting the one on Bloomingdale soon.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:50 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
I hate this place. Been there twice and both time had issues (both the way my food was prepared and food quality). I am not even talking about them forgetting something (which they charged for). I only visited their location by new Tampa Outlet mall and will never go back there nor will I recommend it to any of my friends. The slowest service in the drive thru I've experienced for a very long time (you pay and move foreward with the number, and they bring it to you, but if there is something wrong with your order like they forgot your side or gave you a wrong drink, or sandwich was not done the way you asked - you have to drive around, park and go inside). The price, overall service and quality are far from each other.

Last edited by EngGirl; 07-24-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 04:59 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
The Tampa Bay Area has always been an incubator of many famous brand names ( Outback, Hooters, Beef O Brady's) plus has been a favorite spring board for restaurants moving into Florida. Burger Monger, who I also have done business with since they opened in Carrollwood, is home grown as well. They compete with the other Gourmet Burger places you see around town Square 1 and Burger 21. They both happen to be home town chains as well. We all happen to live in a unique area that has plenty of choices for our dining dollars.
Like many here, I believe in supporting the local guys.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:03 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
The Tampa Bay Area has always been an incubator of many famous brand names ( Outback, Hooters, Beef O Brady's) plus has been a favorite spring board for restaurants moving into Florida. Burger Monger, who I also have done business with since they opened in Carrollwood, is home grown as well. They compete with the other Gourmet Burger places you see around town Square 1 and Burger 21. They both happen to be home town chains as well. We all happen to live in a unique area that has plenty of choices for our dining dollars.
Like many here, I believe in supporting the local guys.
I'm not the biggest fan of Burger Monger (it's a good burger but not my favorite) however there is a huge difference from major fast food chains and small local chains. Some people shouldn't write a place off so quick just because it has more than 1 location, IMO.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,121 times
First time I ever had it was outside the airport in Wisconsin...greasy crap food like many other fast food restaurants. I put it on par with Steak & Shake (which is a no-no for me).

I'll pass! Too many great restaurants in Tampa to eat fast food, but if I absolutely have to for a burger...it will probably be Hardee's or even Wendy's.

If I'm in Brandon near Falkenburg, one of the best burgers in the area is right at Danny's on North Falkenburg...

Old 07-25-2016, 06:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
I have tried Culver's once. Its burgers and fries were okay. The price and the portions are not balanced.

I have not heard good things about Culver's drive thru at a recently opened restaurant. When you pull up to the window, the food is not ready. You pay at the window, then you park at the exit. The food comes out five to ten minutes later with black fries and an over-burnt, cold burger. The bad practice can lead to quick failure.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:34 AM

261 posts, read 260,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Uhhhh........

Tampa alone:

One of the oldest restaurants in the U.S.: The Columbia
James Beard runner up: The Refinery
Owned by the same guy as the Refinery: Fodder & Shine
One of my favorites: The Front Porch
Best pizza you're likely to get: Bavaro's.
Coolest bar with food: The Independent
Another awesome bar/restaurant: Tampa Bay Brewing Company
Never been, but heard good things: Rooster and the Til
Ella's
Cappy's (which, admittedly, sucks)
Urban Cantina
Taco Bus
Datz
Ducky's
Bern's
Holy Hog BBQ

All in Hillsborough, all locally owned, all off the top of my head. Pinellas has more? So what? Keep in mind, this list is only Tampa restaurants. I could throw in some others from outside city limits too.
Wow Culvers like every little podunk southern town has these off I 75, None of these mom and pops are any good at all. What does pinellas have? West shore Pizza and a bunch of places that close in two-3 years hahaha! Give me a break! spending most of my childhood in Pennsylvania, the most laughable out of any locally owned places are the Philly cheesteak places in Pinellas, ie Phillys in Largo the worst in america, almost insulting cheesesteaks being from PA! Holy Hog bbq compared to some places in Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky is laughable! Most of the local seafood restaurants on the beach ie Crabby Bills Pjs and Frenchys , are the most overrated I ever seen in the world. Taco Bus come on! Nothing special at all. I lived in Pinellas and Brandon for the last 15 years and it was hard even getting good mexican food. Vallartas Treas Amigos and the Taco Bus is not good mexican! ITs all national chains, overrated places and people who move from up north start something then close it and move out of dodge when they go bankrupt! Lived in Tampa area for 15 years and the best Mexican food I had was 80 miles south in Venice Florida! That is sad!

Cuban and Greek restaurants are the best feature in tampa and Pinellas and have a few good locally owned places in Tarpon and Tampa, other than that for the size of the metro its not that great of local affordable food. Freds is a good locally owned restaurant as well but has no chains in Pinellas County only Hillsborough and Polk,

Last edited by paradiselost; 07-26-2016 at 08:59 AM..

Old 07-26-2016, 12:02 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
None of these mom and pops are any good at all.
You know how you typically become a James Beard runner up? By not being any good, apparently.

Quote:
What does pinellas have? West shore Pizza
Westshore Pizza is called Westshore pizza because it started on Westshore... In Tampa.

Quote:
spending most of my childhood in Pennsylvania, the most laughable out of any locally owned places are the Philly cheesteak places in Pinellas, ie Phillys in Largo the worst in america, almost insulting cheesesteaks being from PA!
A chain Philly shop doesn't serve authentic phillys? Shocking. What new revelation are you going to tell us next? Taco Bell doesn't serve real Mexican?

Quote:
Holy Hog bbq compared to some places in Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky is laughable!
Why should Holy Hog compete with Carolina, Tennessee, or Kentucky? I'm willing to bet none of those states taste like each other either.

Quote:
Taco Bus come on! Nothing special at all.
I didn't say they were all good, I said they were all locally owned. Taco Bus is easily my least favorite on that list.

Quote:
Cuban and Greek restaurants are the best feature in tampa and Pinellas and have a few good locally owned places in Tarpon and Tampa
That'd be because the city of Tampa was built by Cubans and Tarpon Springs has a heavy Greek influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay