U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 AM

39 posts, read 51,026 times

Advertisements

I am working in Indianapolis but my girlfriend and I want to move to a warmer climate with a beach. That being said we are focusing our sights on the Tampa/St. Pete area as well as Charleston. I have been to both and love them for different reasons.

What is the job market like in Tampa? I have seen quite a few negative posts about career-type jobs as well as pay. I have two masters degrees.....one in public administration and one in informatics. I currently work for the state health department, dealing with hospital administration. I don't make a lot of money up here and am realistic about Tampa cost of living vs. salary. Anyone have any thoughts as to hospital administration and/or public sector/govn't job outlook?

My girlfriend is in advertising, she holds a BA and is working as an account executive.

Thanks in advance for any help........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,226,265 times
Don't let the negative stuff get you down. I've noticed that people moving from outside of Florida get better salary offers. The low salary seems to mostly plague those of us who already live here (they know we're captive..LOL). Professional field pay pretty well compared to cost of living in the area. It's the service and lower level white collar jobs that don't pay well.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 PM

Well that was refreshing. I was braced for a sting of negative comments. Of course the real challenge will be to land a job from out of state........

Does anyone know the best local website to check for jobs? I know that my home city of Indy has a high quality job advertisement site that is screened for phishing jobs, I wondered if the Tampa area has a similar site?

Also accepting ideas on how to land jobs from out of state.........

Thanks!

Last edited by ColtsFan1978; 02-19-2008 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: Forgot a "?"

Old 02-20-2008, 06:26 AM

849 posts, read 3,199,696 times
Talking Don't read this

as negative but it's really tough to get a job from out of state anywhere.
Do you know anyone here who would let you use their address? Otherwise, you can contact a UPS Store (formerly Mailboxes, Etc.) in this area via email, rent a p.o. box and just use your cell phone for your contact # cause lots of people have out of area cell ###. UPS will forward your mail to Indy once a week for a very small fee.
You can check the government websites for job listings but they are using the new statewide property tax cut as an excuse to cut jobs. The mayor of Tampa was just on t v talking about that and how she is planning to make up the shortfall. She had no idea what she's going to do to cover essential services. Our schools are money pits and the teachers are still spending their own money to provide basic supplies to the students.
Try to stick to the private sector. there is an agency in Pinellas Co.(St. Pete) called WorknetPinellas.org. They do everything related to job hunting in this area. they can help with resumes, interviewing skills, etc and they have job listings in every sector that is hiring. Some local employers will only hire thru them.
Don't be discouraged but do your research. I don't know if this is the area for your girlfriend but check around. Tampa area seems to be good for specific industries and a dead end for others. You may do well in health care because we have a major teaching institution, USF, here and consequently there are many hospitals. BTW, the state capital is Tallahassee which is some distance from here in N. Fl but that may be a better place. It is inland, not near beaches and quite a bit cooler than here but definitely warmer than Indy.
Best wishes, I'm sure you'll find someplace in FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsFan1978 View Post
Well that was refreshing. I was braced for a sting of negative comments. Of course the real challenge will be to land a job from out of state........

Does anyone know the best local website to check for jobs? I know that my home city of Indy has a high quality job advertisement site that is screened for phishing jobs, I wondered if the Tampa area has a similar site?

Also accepting ideas on how to land jobs from out of state.........

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
as negative but it's really tough to get a job from out of state anywhere.
Do you know anyone here who would let you use their address? Otherwise, you can contact a UPS Store (formerly Mailboxes, Etc.) in this area via email, rent a p.o. box and just use your cell phone for your contact # cause lots of people have out of area cell ###. UPS will forward your mail to Indy once a week for a very small fee.
You can check the government websites for job listings but they are using the new statewide property tax cut as an excuse to cut jobs. The mayor of Tampa was just on t v talking about that and how she is planning to make up the shortfall. She had no idea what she's going to do to cover essential services. Our schools are money pits and the teachers are still spending their own money to provide basic supplies to the students.
Try to stick to the private sector. there is an agency in Pinellas Co.(St. Pete) called WorknetPinellas.org. They do everything related to job hunting in this area. they can help with resumes, interviewing skills, etc and they have job listings in every sector that is hiring. Some local employers will only hire thru them.
Don't be discouraged but do your research. I don't know if this is the area for your girlfriend but check around. Tampa area seems to be good for specific industries and a dead end for others. You may do well in health care because we have a major teaching institution, USF, here and consequently there are many hospitals. BTW, the state capital is Tallahassee which is some distance from here in N. Fl but that may be a better place. It is inland, not near beaches and quite a bit cooler than here but definitely warmer than Indy.
Best wishes, I'm sure you'll find someplace in FL.
This is true. I moved to LA when I graduated from undergrad, I gave up trying from a distance and just moved out there.

My grandfather lives in Melbourne Beach. I figured that might be close enough to get through the HR screening. That is a great idea about using a PO box….It would save my poor grandfather from having to read my rejection letters

That is good to know about Tampa’s public sector. From my experience most cities are in a similar situation. My two passions are healthcare and education. That being said, I have found it is much easier to get funding for healthcare related issues and thus those areas of local/state/federal government might have openings even though as a whole the government workforce may be shrinking. We will see if that theory holds water!

I will look into the private sector side of healthcare as well. Thank you for the Pinellas County job agency. I will check that out. I know that Tallahassee would have more public sector work, but I am going to try my hardest to get to the beach! My larger goal is more than warm weather. I am SCUBA certified, can surf (I know….no surf in St. Pete), love kayaking, spear-fishing and want to learn to windsurf, kite surf, sail…etc. I know Tallahassee would be a lot closer to this that Indy but I have to try to have it in my backyard!

Thanks for the help!!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,557,199 times
Try Jobingdotcom for tampa.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 AM

849 posts, read 3,199,696 times
Default Well then

you certainly have to consider St. Pete to live You'll get all those activites here. The Atlantic side does get wave now and then tho glad I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsFan1978 View Post

but I am going to try my hardest to get to the beach! My larger goal is more than warm weather. I am SCUBA certified, can surf (I know….no surf in St. Pete), love kayaking, spear-fishing and want to learn to windsurf, kite surf, sail…etc. I know Tallahassee would be a lot closer to this that Indy but I have to try to have it in my backyard!

Thanks for the help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or