U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 10:24 AM

26 posts, read 59,453 times

Advertisements

You should definitely look at the South Tampa SOHO area. This would give you the walkability that you're looking for. There's lots of bars and restaurants in the area and it's still very close to downtown Tampa. There are some beautiful newer townhomes in the area (built in the last 10-15 years), along with historic homes. In the price range that you listed, you would mostly be looking at condos or townhomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 10:50 AM

261 posts, read 176,090 times
To Kingston New york expert Iching---Need to stop what? Being truthful! Again check the Car insurance rates here and pedestrian accident rates here. Absolutely through the roof!

Old 08-04-2016, 11:50 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,221,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
To Kingston New york expert Iching---Need to stop what? Being truthful! Again check the Car insurance rates here and pedestrian accident rates here. Absolutely through the roof!
]]

Kingston NY is smack dab in the middle of no where. As of the 2010 census, there were 23,887 people there. The Tampa/St. Petersburg area has more than 4 million.

People who come from small towns should never attempt to live in a major metropolitan area unless they are fully aware of what life is like in a major metropolitan area. Where you are there isnt a major metro area for miles. The nearest airport is 40 miles away. Annual crimes per 1,000 residents in Kingston is
34.94. In Tampa annual crimes per 1,000 residents is 31.61.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:54 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 356,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
]]

Kingston NY is smack dab in the middle of no where. As of the 2010 census, there were 23,887 people there. The Tampa/St. Petersburg area has more than 4 million.

People who come from small towns should never attempt to live in a major metropolitan area unless they are fully aware of what life is like in a major metropolitan area. Where you are there isnt a major metro area for miles. The nearest airport is 40 miles away. Annual crimes per 1,000 residents in Kingston is
34.94. In Tampa annual crimes per 1,000 residents is 31.61.
No idea why he mentioned Kingston, NY. It's a fine area for those who want to get away from the city, enjoy nature and want to have a quiet life. The crime rate is higher than average though. Winters can be costly it terms of utilities. It's more than hard to find a decent job in Ulster County so one has to bring money from Manhattan.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,221,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
No idea why he mentioned Kingston, NY. It's a fine area for those who want to get away from the city, enjoy nature and want to have a quiet life. The crime rate is higher than average though. Winters can be costly it terms of utilities. It's more than hard to find a decent job in Ulster County so one has to bring money from Manhattan.
Fine area to get away from it indeed. Foot of the Catskills. Quite opposite of Tampa/St. Petersburg. They get the first hard freeze in October so the heating expense goes for quite a while. A buddy has property near Stone Ridge which he bought 30 years ago. He's in FL now and has no intention of building there.
Maybe mentioned it because he said he was leaving FL.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:19 PM

747 posts, read 756,621 times
Huh? You need to be more specific with that. If you're talking the southern areas closest to Manhattan, I agree. However, I ride solo and with groups all the time in mid-upper Westchester County, have been on rides all over the place. Most of it's in the center and upper northeast/west areas though (Bedford, Yorktown, Pound Ridge, Salem areas/loops). There's a gazillion cyclists out there early on weekends. The famous Gimbel's ride rips through southern parts of Westchester, although it's been years since I've done it, I hear it's gotten crazier.

Edit: I came across this video. Now this is heartwarming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36tdWV1WDXo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
This guy "paradiselost" really need to stop. It's clear he never lived anywhere else. I would never get on the road in Westchester County, NY - as many people as in Pinellas but more tightly packed. You could get on the road in Dutchess/Ulster and stay on the shoulder but then, being so rural, you would get a hit and nobody would even notice. I've been cycling since I was a kid but even where I grew up in Europe the roads aren't safe.

Last edited by SJNE17; 08-04-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 02:48 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Huh? You need to be more specific with that. If you're talking the southern areas closest to Manhattan, I agree. However, I ride solo and with groups all the time in mid-upper Westchester County, have been on rides all over the place. Most of it's in the center and upper northeast/west areas though (Bedford, Yorktown, Pound Ridge, Salem areas/loops). There's a gazillion cyclists out there early on weekends. The famous Gimbel's ride rips through southern parts of Westchester, although it's been years since I've done it, I hear it's gotten crazier.

Edit: I came across this video. Now this is heartwarming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36tdWV1WDXo
I agree but I don't have enough courage to drive on the road. It's way too risky for me. I would stay on North County Trail all the way to Brewster.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:58 PM

747 posts, read 756,621 times
Fair enough and totally reasonable/rational. It's gotten soooo bad out there over the years. Cell phones the #1 culprit. I am either on the road on weekends (and some mornings) by 5-5:30 (6 at latest) or I skip it. Can't stand cars/traffic.

By the way, riding in St. Pete area is beautiful. Esp. out to Ft. De Soto. And the Pinellas trail is really cool. Boring, but cool. And safe (or rather, safer).

Old 08-04-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Fair enough and totally reasonable/rational. It's gotten soooo bad out there over the years. Cell phones the #1 culprit. I am either on the road on weekends (and some mornings) by 5-5:30 (6 at latest) or I skip it. Can't stand cars/traffic.

By the way, riding in St. Pete area is beautiful. Esp. out to Ft. De Soto. And the Pinellas trail is really cool. Boring, but cool. And safe (or rather, safer).
Do you still live in Westchester? I miss some things but I could not digest paying 10k in property taxes. Drivers on Taconic are very reckless - not only speeding but they are also tailgating. North County trail is fairly safe but I was always super careful and saw my share of crazy. It was nice being able to bike through Tibbetts Brook Park and end up on the West side.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
Lived right by the Pinellas trail in largo for years. There used to be robberies out there all the time and wrecks at crossings. and areas of St Pete are even worse, Again if you think it is safe you are in another planet.
How old are you? Go, do something for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or