U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2016, 02:22 PM
 
150 posts, read 94,510 times
Reputation: 195

Advertisements

Hi I'm a westchase resident. I decided to have my birthday out on St Pete beach. I want to get a hotel but I don't know which ones are considered good quality. My budget for one night would be 150-200. I would be willing to go over 200 if the accommodations are really good Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2016, 04:45 PM
 
819 posts, read 1,006,790 times
Reputation: 957
If being ON the beach is not critical, I'd recommend you consider Hotel Zamora at that price range. It's directly across Gulf Blvd from the beach and is much nicer than the other hotels on the beach since it's only two years old, versus 30+ like most. So, much better hotel, two minute walk to the sand, fine dining restaurant on site.

If you'd prefer to be on the beach, my favorite option is Grand Plaza, because it has tiled rooms instead of carpet, so even though it's dated, at least the floors are consistently cleaned instead of dirty worn out carpet which feels nasty. GP has several fantastic dining/drinking options in Bongos (actual food dining with feet in the sand), Bongos (the bar) set a few feet back from the sand, Spinners (interior revolving rooftop restaurant), Level 11 (rooftop outdoor lounge).

The only other nice option on St Pete Beach is Don Cesar, but it's going to be over budget, they nickel and dime you on everything too, so unless you wanted a pure 'resort' experience where you're paying to be waited on 24x7 and expect service commensurate to the price, I'm not a fan of theirs overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 05:28 PM
 
747 posts, read 753,903 times
Reputation: 352
totally agree on zamora, totally disagree on grand plaza! that place is a run-down dump, in dire need of a major 100% do-over. the rooftop bar is ok, in a weird attempt to create a hip space. but that revolving restaurant? decor straight outta the 1970's. didn't bother eating the food since we were so turned off by the menu (at least half the items crusted with whatever and slopped with some variation of a cream sauce) and cheesy decor. yes we've stayed there by the way, so am speaking firsthand. will not ever go back nor recommend it to friends or family. ever take a close look at the signage along gulf blvd? it's a comedy, reads (and looks) like a book. literally. beachfront barefoot bar serves watery drinks and so-so food. it's too bad, really, because that hotel, given it's structural layout and location could be spectacular. the website and the photos are so disingenuous it borders on the absurd. hopefully someone with vision can take it over, shut it down for awhile and completely transform it. charge $500 a night for something amazing and people will pay it. it really could be something special.

zamora's not a $150-$200/night hotel. maybe offseason? only disappointment there as a biz traveler is no business office. they need to upgrade that aspect for those who are used to (or need) that type of amenity. otherwise, the rooms are very nicely appointed, castille is terrific restaurant (the breakfast is amazing), bar's awesome, roof deck terrific, the dock over the canal is relaxing, etc. other than the don cesar, it's by far the nicest (and def. the newest) hotel on the island.

Weekend North to St Pete/Clearwater Beach

Last edited by SJNE17; 08-10-2016 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 06:00 PM
 
819 posts, read 1,006,790 times
Reputation: 957
Other than Don Cesar (from a room perspective), every hotel on the Gulf side of SPB is run down and old, so GP is not different than anything else you'll get in the same or lower price range. They tend to have deals in Hotels Tonight regularly too; for last minute booking. I do feel that their rooms are at least cleaner than the others, for the aforementioned reason, and the food is reasonable for the price; i.e., an $8 burger is not too high, and it's decent, so value-wise, GP isn't bad. You could pay $18 for a mildly better burger at Don Cesar, or you could Free Beach Ride it down the street to Willy's and get a dramatically better burger for $8. Mad Fish is directly adjacent to GP and has great food, so you don't have the leave the property by more than 50 feet to get a good meal, but there's other options. If you got a weak drink at GP, you should just ask them to top it off. A lot of locals go to Bongos, including my wife and I every month or so; some bartenders just serve them tourist style, but we've never had someone balk at bringing a drink up to proper strength when called on it.

Coral Reef resort is supposed to break ground soon on an on the sand luxury hotel here; can't wait for that.

Treasure Island Beach Resort up in TI isn't a bad option; dined there last week at BRGR (way overpriced) but the property is new, modern and immaculate from what I could see.

Can always visit the nightmare that is Clearwater Beach (Opal Sands), but I suspect the same reason I don't go there is why OP is asking about SPB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2016, 10:10 PM
 
747 posts, read 753,903 times
Reputation: 352
SPBbound: honestly wasn't worth the agita to ask for a re-do on the drink. We just moved on.

Where's the Coral Reef going to be built? That's interesting.

I've heard developers chomping at bit to buy up the seemingly endless mom & pop places that have long run their course, but height/zoning restrictions don't make it economical. I understand and appreciate that it keeps the charm of SPB. It would be awful if SPB became another Clearwater high rise jungle--I totally agree with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
Other than Don Cesar (from a room perspective), every hotel on the Gulf side of SPB is run down and old, so GP is not different than anything else you'll get in the same or lower price range. They tend to have deals in Hotels Tonight regularly too; for last minute booking. I do feel that their rooms are at least cleaner than the others, for the aforementioned reason, and the food is reasonable for the price; i.e., an $8 burger is not too high, and it's decent, so value-wise, GP isn't bad. You could pay $18 for a mildly better burger at Don Cesar, or you could Free Beach Ride it down the street to Willy's and get a dramatically better burger for $8. Mad Fish is directly adjacent to GP and has great food, so you don't have the leave the property by more than 50 feet to get a good meal, but there's other options. If you got a weak drink at GP, you should just ask them to top it off. A lot of locals go to Bongos, including my wife and I every month or so; some bartenders just serve them tourist style, but we've never had someone balk at bringing a drink up to proper strength when called on it.

Coral Reef resort is supposed to break ground soon on an on the sand luxury hotel here; can't wait for that.

Treasure Island Beach Resort up in TI isn't a bad option; dined there last week at BRGR (way overpriced) but the property is new, modern and immaculate from what I could see.

Can always visit the nightmare that is Clearwater Beach (Opal Sands), but I suspect the same reason I don't go there is why OP is asking about SPB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 12:21 AM
Status: "Brexit bound" (set 1 day ago)
 
3,615 posts, read 1,983,544 times
Reputation: 5202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishbu123 View Post
Hi I'm a westchase resident. I decided to have my birthday out on St Pete beach. I want to get a hotel but I don't know which ones are considered good quality. My budget for one night would be 150-200. I would be willing to go over 200 if the accommodations are really good Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thank you!
I would suggest the Sirata Beach Resort which offers Fl residents packages.

And for superb steaks I'd recommend
1200 Chophouse - St Pete Beach Restaurant - St. Petersburg, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 06:34 AM
 
819 posts, read 1,006,790 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
SPBbound: honestly wasn't worth the agita to ask for a re-do on the drink. We just moved on.

Where's the Coral Reef going to be built? That's interesting.

I've heard developers chomping at bit to buy up the seemingly endless mom & pop places that have long run their course, but height/zoning restrictions don't make it economical. I understand and appreciate that it keeps the charm of SPB. It would be awful if SPB became another Clearwater high rise jungle--I totally agree with you there.
Sorry, got it confused, the Coral Reef was bought and torn down by Tradewinds for parking and future development. The new place is going to be called Allure:

St. Pete Beach plans its first new gulf-front condo-hotel in more than a decade | Tampa Bay Times

It's where Plaza Beach currently is, kind of diagonal across the street from Publix.

I love the fact that the height restriction keeps this place from becoming clearwater beach, but I do wish we had a big named hotel or two so we'd get more consistent tourism throughout the year from people being able to redeem reward points. Probably won't see that though given max height is going to be 12 stories, and that's only on the largest plots of land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 07:51 AM
 
747 posts, read 753,903 times
Reputation: 352
Interesting. SPB desperately needs new resorts. It's ripe for small boutique getaways that could transform the town, bring it up to date and match the continually improving dynamic that's going on in downtown St. Pete. Certainly don't need monolithic monstrosities to make a resort appealing. Zamora's pretty small and look how well that's doing. Creative thinking and architecture will do it.

And SPB is improving as well. That dumpy corner of 75th and Blind Pass, with empty stores on the corner, a strip club on one side and an adult bookstore on the other.....get rid of those and it'll be a big first step. That's a town gateway, could be incredible focal point and entry to Corey Ave. Supposedly there's a plan to put a hotel/resort in at the end of Corey Ave. on the bay, it went kaput when the economy tanked. That would be transformative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
Sorry, got it confused, the Coral Reef was bought and torn down by Tradewinds for parking and future development. The new place is going to be called Allure:

St. Pete Beach plans its first new gulf-front condo-hotel in more than a decade | Tampa Bay Times

It's where Plaza Beach currently is, kind of diagonal across the street from Publix.

I love the fact that the height restriction keeps this place from becoming clearwater beach, but I do wish we had a big named hotel or two so we'd get more consistent tourism throughout the year from people being able to redeem reward points. Probably won't see that though given max height is going to be 12 stories, and that's only on the largest plots of land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Status: "Brexit bound" (set 1 day ago)
 
3,615 posts, read 1,983,544 times
Reputation: 5202
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Interesting. SPB desperately needs new resorts. It's ripe for small boutique getaways that could transform the town, bring it up to date and match the continually improving dynamic that's going on in downtown St. Pete. Certainly don't need monolithic monstrosities to make a resort appealing. Zamora's pretty small and look how well that's doing. Creative thinking and architecture will do it.

And SPB is improving as well. That dumpy corner of 75th and Blind Pass, with empty stores on the corner, a strip club on one side and an adult bookstore on the other.....get rid of those and it'll be a big first step. That's a town gateway, could be incredible focal point and entry to Corey Ave. Supposedly there's a plan to put a hotel/resort in at the end of Corey Ave. on the bay, it went kaput when the economy tanked. That would be transformative.
Part of the allure of SPB is the fact that it isn't developed and has quite a retro vibe about it.
I must admit I like it the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2016, 05:22 PM
 
747 posts, read 753,903 times
Reputation: 352
i hear ya, i love an old florida feel and there ain't nothing like the comedy of breakfast at beverly's.

but, so many places need to improve and attract a new generation of tourists and especially residents. spb has both a dying-on-the-vine, or about-to-take-off, feel to the town. we're of the latter view, and we see that in real estate (soooo much unlevered real money investment, which is good) as well as continuing improvement in business and jobs--real jobs. we know people who are choosing to live here and commute to major corporate jobs in tampa, etc.

heard there's going to be a nice new place (restaurant/bar) coming along gulf blvd/blind pass right on the water, opposite the canal from sea hags. dockside dining and all. that'll be fantastic.

to be clear, we love the town and voted with our wallet--we bought here. we want to see long term sustainable and steady growth for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Part of the allure of SPB is the fact that it isn't developed and has quite a retro vibe about it.
I must admit I like it the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top