U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,493 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in FL, went to college here, then got jobs outside of the state. I was happy to leave FL and didn't think I would ever come back. Lived in DC, San Fran, Denver, Cincinnait, Houston. Then I quite the corporate world and started my own busness, the type where I can make a livng anywhere. I chose to move back to FL and I'm the happiest I've ever been. My whole family is here and that's that most important thing, at least for me, after having left for the past 10 years to experience/explore on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:53 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,478,587 times
I'd like to tell my story and hopefully get some advice along with it...

I grew up in the Brandon/Plant City area in Hillsborough County. Living in the Bay Area from the ages of 3-19.

Life was great as a kid, After high school was a diffrent story. It had turned out that my grades in school and SAT scores were too low to go to any Florida State Universities. My mother at the same time was struggling, My parents got divorced in 1998 and I was living with my mother at the time. All she could manage was a $9 an hour job and myself, I was making a cool $6.25 an hour at Albertsons.

Discouraged, My mother decided to move and stay with her mom in Nashville, TN. I decided that life couldn't get much better and I followed suit. After landing in Nashville I found that I could get a job at our local grocery store ( Kroger ) doing the same job only making $12 an hour and supprise, supprise, My test scores from school were good enough to get into several State Universities in Tennessee.

After a few years in Nashville our family decided we missed Florida and attempted to move back to Tampa. We were in Tampa for 3 months before we decided that the rent was just too high, the only affordable places to live were income restricted and the only jobs availible paid between $6-$10 an hour. We came back to Nashville and started over again.

Recently, I got married and my wife and I were looking at relocating. The rest of my family are also willing to give Tampa one more chance but we haven't decided between Tampa and Houston. Houston, from what we've seen is a ALOT cheaper in almost everything but only has slightly better jobs.

Anyways, Have the jobs gotten any better in the Bay Area ? Have Apartments continued to spiral out of control ? Is it feasable that a mid-20's couple with no college and a young child can move to Tampa and find reasonable jobs that can pay the bills ?

I have to admit, I was born in Orlando and grew up in Tampa and I LOVE the Tampa Bay area, I even have a Devil Rays logo tatted on my arm. It just seems to me, and I may be in the minority here, but It seems to me that Florida just makes it so damn hard to succeed, Atleast for its own natrual born residents.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:01 AM

849 posts, read 3,197,002 times
Smile for anyone

What happened to the TN universities? I don't think Houston is cheaper to live decently but rather than just jumping ship, what CAN you do, never mind no college. There are college grads many with advanced degs here who are making minimum if they're even employed at all.
If you and your wife don't have skills you're still young enough to get them and as a grandma I'd suggest you look into things that will always be needed like medical services, maybe massage therapy stuff like that. Computers are over done. If you like things like mechanics or building then get very skilled in those things. Stay near your families for a year so they can help with child care, which will eat up a big part of your budget here, take on a little debt if you have to for school and JUST DO IT but don't be swayed by the college myth. I come from an educated family and DH is working on a Master's but we are struggling. The best he can do is substitute teach and that doesn't pay the bills in Tampa or anywhere.
You will make it if you stay focused and listen to your inner being not what other people expect. You had a very hard coming up time but you sound like a good guy so keep it up

[quote=FutureTexan;2982950]I'd like to tell my story and hopefully get some advice along with it...

Anyways, Have the jobs gotten any better in the Bay Area ? Have Apartments continued to spiral out of control ? Is it feasable that a mid-20's couple with no college and a young child can move to Tampa and find reasonable jobs that can pay the bills ?

Old 02-29-2008, 07:49 AM

15,087 posts, read 30,930,531 times
[quote=jessiesma;2983820]What happened to the TN universities? I don't think Houston is cheaper to live decently but rather than just jumping ship, what CAN you do, never mind no college. There are college grads many with advanced degs here who are making minimum if they're even employed at all.
If you and your wife don't have skills you're still young enough to get them and as a grandma I'd suggest you look into things that will always be needed like medical services, maybe massage therapy stuff like that. Computers are over done. If you like things like mechanics or building then get very skilled in those things. Stay near your families for a year so they can help with child care, which will eat up a big part of your budget here, take on a little debt if you have to for school and JUST DO IT but don't be swayed by the college myth. I come from an educated family and DH is working on a Master's but we are struggling. The best he can do is substitute teach and that doesn't pay the bills in Tampa or anywhere.
You will make it if you stay focused and listen to your inner being not what other people expect. You had a very hard coming up time but you sound like a good guy so keep it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
I'd like to tell my story and hopefully get some advice along with it...

I think Jessiesma has given you some great advice here. I would like to add that since you LOVE the Tampa Bay area, you are already ahead of the game, here, in other words you will work harder to make it work. Also, I have read that Houston has some of the worst air quality in the country, and Texas is at the top of the list for high property taxes, so it may not really be a cheap alternative.

The Tampa area has people who are doing well, and some not so well, and as Jessiesma has said, it's not just about the college degrees. I concur with her advice, since you are young, just get yourself some marketable skills and I think you will do fine.

Good luck to you and your family!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:55 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,250,725 times
Here is a very informative thread on people who have, are or planning on moving back to Florida.

List of those who moved BACK TO FLORIDA

Lots of great info!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:27 AM

65 posts, read 339,859 times
I don't mean to sound gruff. But telling someone not to go to college is the WORST advice I've ever heard.

How many people say to themselves, "BOY! I wish I hadn't gotten this bachelors degree."

It's critical that you get a degree in a study that balances what you love doing and what will earn a good living.

I recall a statistic that states that Florida is among the lowest degree holding per capita states in the union. Having a degree would increase you chances of employment ten fold in that situatuion. A person with a college degree will earn, on average, almost twice as much as workers with a high school diploma over a lifetime ($2.1 million compared to $1.2 million). This is a result of not only higher starting salaries for people with higher education levels(approx. $52k), but also the sharper earnings growth over the course their careers.

Keep doing what you can to be in school first, Florida will always be here.

Last edited by DustyButt; 02-29-2008 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 11:08 AM

I appreciate the advice, However, We both currently work around 50-60 hours a week and just don't have time to attend school.

That's why I was forced to leave early.

Houston has equal to or lesser property taxes than Tampa, depending on what neighborhood you live in. You can buy a 4br 2ba 2,500 sqft house in Houston for $125k. The same houses are listed in Tampa for like $425k.

I've noticed on my recent trips that Houston has cheaper gas, cheaper rent on apartments, cheaper groceries, however, the traffic is bad but Tampa traffic isn't exactly good. Air quality ? I don't really care about, besides, We're looking at Texas City/Galveston anyways.

Thanks for the advice though

Old 02-29-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyButt View Post
I recall a statistic that states that Florida is among the lowest degree holding per capita states in the union.
Yeah, It's because Florida Colleges and Universities have extremely strict acceptence policies and the only schools most Floridians can attend are community colleges, However. At the same time these same people that are trying to or want to go to school can't afford to do so because they're working two jobs to pay their bills.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:38 AM

Default Oh puleeze

My husband's BA is in English writing. had he spent his time learning drafting pre-CAD even without a degree, he would have had great jobs and transitioned into CAD easily. He did poorly not becasue he was a party animal but because he had ADHD before anyone knew what it was. Now with NO Child Left behind he can't get a MA in teaching because of his GPA, no way to remedy that, and he's had to deal with the frustration of earning a living at minimum or slightly above.
NOT EVERYBODY IS SUITED FOR COLLEGE including this MENSA ex-member who had GREAT SATS. I'm all of 5'2" and in my high school days girls in general weren't "allowed" to go to culinary school but being small I was absolutely denied the opportunity. I am a great cook in spite of it but I would have LOVED that. The other thing I was denied, was Art School because of people Like you, who think a college degree is the way to riches. It is for many but for others of us, it is an exercise in futility, a waste of time and money and a denial of talents theat get submerged once "real life" kicks in.

As for your question, I've known many many people who get to 50 after working hard and then downsized who have no skills because that college degree trapped them on the cube farm someplace.

If your degree works for you hooray but don't generalize. I'm not a statistic and won't live by them, thank you for the rest of your post. I would live on the streets before I worked in a corporate cube for an unimaginative micromanager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyButt View Post
I don't mean to sound gruff. But telling someone not to go to college is the WORST advice I've ever heard.

How many people say to themselves, "BOY! I wish I hadn't gotten this bachelors degree."

It's critical that you get a degree in a study that balances what you love doing and what will earn a good living.

I recall a statistic that states that Florida is among the lowest degree holding per capita states in the union. Having a degree would increase you chances of employment ten fold in that situatuion. A person with a college degree will earn, on average, almost twice as much as workers with a high school diploma over a lifetime ($2.1 million compared to $1.2 million). This is a result of not only higher starting salaries for people with higher education levels(approx. $52k), but also the sharper earnings growth over the course their careers.

Keep doing what you can to be in school first, Florida will always be here.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:52 AM

Default That's why I suggested staying near parental units

so you could do school but, and I'm saying this in a totally sympathetic way for Dusty Butt's edification. You have no burning desire to go to school or you'd find the way. That was me when I graduated and into my 20's-30's. Without that fire in your belly, you won't succeed anyway. I was 54 before I went back because I really wanted it. Since my degree work is in Fine Arts, I was hardly looking for career enhancement.

When I suggested training, I wasn't limiting it to school unless you really want to do something that requires it. You can learn a trade on the job and while you won't be a millionaire at 30, who cares? You WILL find your path and be a whole lot happier doing it. I won't bother you with examples but I am very close to 2 geniuses who are also "hippies" and despite very little formal ed. have fantastic skills and he makes a darn good living as a highly skilled carpenter. They just moved to Hawaii and are making it there. Someone less close and less of a genius, and equally "uneducated" found his niche, started a catering business and brings in 90K a year in personal income and pays 3 crews. These are all people under 45. They just didn't start in the high 5 figures and worked very hard.
I do think for the kid's sake tho you should care about air quality. Childhood asthma is epidemic in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
I appreciate the advice, However, We both currently work around 50-60 hours a week and just don't have time to attend school.

That's why I was forced to leave early.

Houston has equal to or lesser property taxes than Tampa, depending on what neighborhood you live in. You can buy a 4br 2ba 2,500 sqft house in Houston for $125k. The same houses are listed in Tampa for like $425k.

I've noticed on my recent trips that Houston has cheaper gas, cheaper rent on apartments, cheaper groceries, however, the traffic is bad but Tampa traffic isn't exactly good. Air quality ? I don't really care about, besides, We're looking at Texas City/Galveston anyways.

Thanks for the advice though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay