Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,729 times

Advertisements

My family moved to Tampa last month. Im currently looking for work as an Administrative Assistant or Office Manager. I don't really know where to start because I picked up the paper and the job section was very small. I know I have posted my resume online like 30 times and no response from anyone. Where do I start looking in Tampa? I have registered with 5 staffing agencies. Can anyone help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
careerbuilder.com

tbo.com

tbt.com

Don't just post your resume. Look at the listings and apply.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:56 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
NOT sure where you live-- but School districts are always looking for clerical help, secretaries, business manager-- Try Hillsbourough County public school human resources websites for non instructional positions. Again, I guess Im a walking ad for the schools, but it's all about job security.. plus paid days off and holidays--

Old 02-21-2008, 07:41 AM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Smile NewFLGal

schools are getting less secure what with budget cuts etc. also the pay is lousy for support staff, but then no job is secure anymore. Did you hear that the Sixth Judicial Circuit Court is running out of funds and may have to shut down for a few months? It was on Tampabays10 last night. There is no safety anymore. Also FYI if you are anything but Christian or non-religious, you must use your "personal" days for your holidays. I guess nothing can be done about that in a pluralistic society but I just wanted to mention it because you are posting to a varied audience. When I was in school, we got Christian AND Jewish holidays off because these were the predominant groups. In parts of the country, there are similar situations and I just don't want a reader to think if they are a "minority" they are still entitled to their holiday off in addition to the regularly scheduled ones. It can be a problem for some of us because there aren't always enough personal days to cover the days on which we are prohibited from doing any work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFLGal View Post
NOT sure where you live-- but School districts are always looking for clerical help, secretaries, business manager-- Try Hillsbourough County public school human resources websites for non instructional positions. Again, I guess Im a walking ad for the schools, but it's all about job security.. plus paid days off and holidays--

Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 AM

Schools are getting less secure for teachers and assistants, not for secretaries and business management. They cannot downsize on needed positions in which there is only 1 or 2 per school. Since some schools have decent size classes, they can easily eliminate teachers and aides and create larger classes. It is certainly more stable than some independent company with crappy benefits, that could fold next week. Also, some school districts are more financially secure than others..

Old 02-21-2008, 07:51 AM

You are correct about that-- I wasn't specific enough I suppose. When I meant holidays, I meant national holidays, Presidents day, Labor day, plus the included spring and winter vacations..Religious holidays vary per school...

Old 02-21-2008, 08:04 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Depending on where you live, check out some of the larger employers websites like Metropolitan, Coca Cola, Chase, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Bank of America, USAA. I know there are others but that is a place to start

Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
move to ny, boston, dc, chicago, dallas, la or sf........tampas not a place for traditional jobs that pay anything, u will soon see this.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 AM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Default we have many

huge law offices that do personal injury law here. They often hire assistants and train them for the specifics of doing the legal parts. You can go to Law Resources from Martindale.com: Lawyer Locator and Attorney Directory or Find A Lawyer, Attorney, Law Firms and Attorneys - Lawyers.com to find info and locations on firms that might interest you. There is a Federal court in Tampa so there are many aspects of law that are practiced here not only PI. There's even Admiralty law because of it being a major port. You may have to start with a small firm or one of the PI ones and maybe take a smaller salary but the training you get will give you some specialization. You don't mention if you are in an industry that requires similar special knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwatkins0020 View Post
My family moved to Tampa last month. Im currently looking for work as an Administrative Assistant or Office Manager. I don't really know where to start because I picked up the paper and the job section was very small. I know I have posted my resume online like 30 times and no response from anyone. Where do I start looking in Tampa? I have registered with 5 staffing agencies. Can anyone help me?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
I've had luck with craigslist.com. As the above posts says, law firms are a good place to start. The job market is rough, you've only been here a month? Be prepared, it could be a little while before you get a response.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay