Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 06:43 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb2013 View Post
Those are all hard facts.
Anecdotal evidence is never a "hard fact." Especially when one pulls up multiple cost of living calculators and disproves your claim.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 AM

163 posts, read 183,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Anecdotal evidence is never a "hard fact." Especially when one pulls up multiple cost of living calculators and disproves your claim.
Do you want me to attach a salary report for the legal industry or maybe attach my electricity bills? My mortgage? Of course I'm not going to do that, but it's not just a matter of something I heard second or third hand. I'm sure some salaries are dollar for dollar, but not in every industry. And I can tell you FIRST HAND that housing is more costly in desirable areas of St. Pete that are close to downtown. As far as the suburbs go, I can't speak to that.

Friends don't let friends move to the suburbs.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:02 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Do you want me to attach a salary report for the legal industry or maybe attach my electricity bills? My mortgage?
Once again, anecdotal evidence is useless.

Quote:
I'm sure some salaries are dollar for dollar, but not in every industry.
I'm sure this isn't unique to the Tampa Bay Area. I'm pretty sure that I can go to any city in the U.S. and the price they pay for certain jobs will vary.

Quote:
And I can tell you FIRST HAND that housing is more costly in desirable areas of St. Pete that are close to downtown.
Yes. That's how cities work.

Quote:
Friends don't let friends move to the suburbs.
I would never deny this. Especially south Hillsborough. Trashy, congested, and you have to drive to Tampa to get your entertainment anyway.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:56 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I work in IT. Got to relocate down here and keep my Mid-Atlantic salary. During a period of anger and frustration with my boss/job, I put a few resumes out there and was horrified by the offers I got.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:01 PM

191 posts, read 601,834 times
I hear you. The salaries here are horrible. I moved here for a job and long story short, I get paid piece rate which means I get paid for what I install, not hourly. I was promised a lot of work and it has been a nightmare and I've made significantly less here than anywhere else I've ever lived. My rent is cheap and I still don't make enough to pay the bills. I have to rob Peter to pay Paul every month. I had my resume professionally written and had some interviews and the offers I have had ( the very few out of dozens of interviews) were laughable. I have a Bachelors degree in Business Management with a minor in Finance with a high GPA. I have worked in a few industries and have collectively 15 years of business experience and I'm being offered no more than $15 an hour. Recruiters constantly email and call me about these "sales"
Jobs that pay almost nothing and the commissions are just a pipe dream.

Our middle class has been destroyed since Reagan came into office and corporations started to run America instead of the people. They rake in record profits and stash it off shore and the workers settle for less while inflation outpaces the cost of living. We are facing a crisis and there will be a point in time where people will uprise and fight back once they realize that we've been screwed over. We keep on fighting over little distractions and we've been pit against each other by the super rich elite. They have us fighting over race, immigration, LGBT laws while they are exponentially increasing their net worth while eradicating the middle class and below.

'Merica!!

Old 08-20-2016, 03:17 PM

I think anyone in the younger contingent would agree that salaries here are low relative to other similarly sized cities. The cost of living is higher than Charlotte, but Charlotte is consistently recognized as a great place to live because of the low cost of living relative to the high salaries. Again, I like it here, but I wish I had done more research before deciding to move, and I'd like to make sure others are aware of what they're getting into before they move.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
I think anyone in the younger contingent would agree that salaries here are low relative to other similarly sized cities. The cost of living is higher than Charlotte, but Charlotte is consistently recognized as a great place to live because of the low cost of living relative to the high salaries. Again, I like it here, but I wish I had done more research before deciding to move, and I'd like to make sure others are aware of what they're getting into before they move.
You could always correct the error.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You could always correct the error.
Are you suggesting I move back? Did something about my accurate assessment of my experience upset you? Was it not enough that in nearly every post I stated that I do actually like St. Pete?

Moving is complicated and expensive. We uprooted our little family unit. We sold the house we brought my son home to, the one where he learned to walk and talk. The house that was the epicenter of our social lives and the place everyone felt welcome. We left behind wonderful friends that felt like family. We left my parents, brother and sister in law, and mother in law, all who had relocated to be closer to us. We did it so my husband could take a job that would also allow him to see his two young sons grow up. We did it for fear that his job in Charlotte might not be sustainable. We all cried when we left. We took a chance on St. Pete hoping it would feel like home and that we would find our place here. People like you make me regret that decision even more than our higher mortgage payment, higher electricity bills, longer commutes, and lack of family and a social network.

I'm not bitter, and if you read through my posts you'll find me defending St. Pete in most of them. But I do have the right and responsibility to speak the truth about my experience and did so here. I'm sorry if that somehow offended you. You certainly made me feel like our move was a mistake. Thank you.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:18 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Yes, moving is a hassle but usually worthwhile. I left NYC (28 years ago) due to job stability, among many other reasons, as well. I was in the legal field here in FL for 20 years as a Paralegal working with Claimants under FS 440 and 112.18. Nothing about your posts upset me at all, several inaccuracies and I just hate to see unhappy campers. It is always hard to leave friends and family. At least its only 600 or so miles so a days drive or a short air trip will allow visits both ways.

Some facts:

Electricity rate in Charlotte is 9.35 cents per KWH. TECO is 4.5 cents per KWH so the electric rate is 1/2 of Duke in Charlotte.

Housing is cheaper in Tampa compared to Charlotte.

CNN's COL Calculator using a comparison between Tampa and Charlotte give the following price differences

Groceries 4% more
Housing 7% more
Utilities 5% more
Transportation 3%l less
Health Care 13% more

Bankrate has a COL calculator which shows a lot of detail. Using a $50,000 income in Charlotte would require $47510.37 in Tampa. You can take a 4.98% decrease from your Charlotte salary and still maintain your standard of living.

There really isnt too much of a difference in salary for a Level 1 attorney either, especially when you figure in $5,750 for income tax on $100,000.00

Attorney I Salaries in Charlotte, NC by education, experience, Location and more - Salary.com
"How much does a Attorney I in Charlotte, NC make? The median annual Attorney I salary in Charlotte, NC is $87,483, as of July 29, 2016, with a range usually between $75,991-$100,488 not including bonus and benefit information and other factors that impact base pay. However, the salary for someone with the title Attorney I may vary depending on a number of factors including industry, company size, location, years of experience and level of education. Our team of Certified Compensation Professionals has analyzed survey data collected from thousands of HR departments at companies of all sizes and industries to present this range of annual salaries for people with the job title Attorney I in Charlotte, NC. "

How much does a Attorney I in Tampa, FL make? The median annual Attorney I salary in Tampa, FL is $84,219, as of July 29, 2016, with a range usually between $73,155-$96,738 not including bonus and benefit information and other factors that impact base pay. However, the salary for someone with the title Attorney I may vary depending on a number of factors including industry, company size, location, years of experience and level of education. Our team of Certified Compensation Professionals has analyzed survey data collected from thousands of HR departments at companies of all sizes and industries to present this range of annual salaries for people with the job title Attorney I in Tampa, FL.

My goal on CD is to provide factual information weighed against opinions. If you look at my posting history you will find dozens of points where facts were posted in response to opinion.

I think you already had it in your mind that your move was a mistake based on your previous posts.

Quote:
Are you suggesting I move back? Did something about my accurate assessment of my experience upset you? Was it not enough that in nearly every post I stated that I do actually like St. Pete?

Moving is complicated and expensive. We uprooted our little family unit. We sold the house we brought my son home to, the one where he learned to walk and talk. The house that was the epicenter of our social lives and the place everyone felt welcome. We left behind wonderful friends that felt like family. We left my parents, brother and sister in law, and mother in law, all who had relocated to be closer to us. We did it so my husband could take a job that would also allow him to see his two young sons grow up. We did it for fear that his job in Charlotte might not be sustainable. We all cried when we left. We took a chance on St. Pete hoping it would feel like home and that we would find our place here. People like you make me regret that decision even more than our higher mortgage payment, higher electricity bills, longer commutes, and lack of family and a social network.

I'm not bitter, and if you read through my posts you'll find me defending St. Pete in most of them. But I do have the right and responsibility to speak the truth about my experience and did so here. I'm sorry if that somehow offended you. You certainly made me feel like our move was a mistake. Thank you.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:00 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,896,864 times
I can't speak to energy or wages but the housing prices are much lower in Charlotte, we went looking at houses with my nephew and were blown away at how much house you could get for the money. St Pete and Tampa are very expensive plus the property taxes are higher as well. We have looked at at least 50 houses in Tampa/St Pete and surrounding areas and the prices are up there. Its not a big surprise because its such a nice area. The thing that did surprise us and may keep us from moving there were the taxes and possible flood insurance costs. When we were looking on Zillow the taxes did not seem that bad but that was before we found out about the "Save our Homes" amendment which keeps the taxes down to a 3% increase/year as long as you live there. When you sell, the new owners pay the current rate which may be 2-3x or more. Factoring that into the equation, its expensive to live there. In addition flood insurance will now rise after a 2 year moratorium and with the recent Louisiana disaster who knows what the future holds. Existing homeowners have it good with lower taxes, grandfathered flood insurance and skyrocketing housing prices which have only a minimal effect on their taxes. To those who live there we envy you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay