U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:52 PM

67 posts, read 49,618 times

Advertisements

I am working on getting my grandson here for vacation on Christmas Day until New Years Day flying from Seattle. It will be 19 months since I last saw him before I moved from Syracuse, NY!!!
I am absolutely blown away at the cost of the airfare to get him here - close to $700 (maybe more, I have to call the airlines because he will be an unaccompanied minor)
All that to explain that I will be close to maxed out for finances from the airfare alone, but I know he would love the opportunity to experience a "special event" in the Land of Theme Parks.
I just read about the Busch Gardens special where you buy a one day pass that would then be good to the end of the calendar year! HA! So you couldn't pick a worse week to try that "special"!
Any help greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 10:14 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,482,783 times
maybe go see winter the Dolphin check a hotel for a sleep over. Winter is a star and a memory for real-

Last edited by maggiekate; 08-23-2016 at 10:22 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 05:43 AM

4,812 posts, read 3,462,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBSouth View Post
I am working on getting my grandson here for vacation on Christmas Day until New Years Day flying from Seattle. It will be 19 months since I last saw him before I moved from Syracuse, NY!!!
I am absolutely blown away at the cost of the airfare to get him here - close to $700 (maybe more, I have to call the airlines because he will be an unaccompanied minor)
All that to explain that I will be close to maxed out for finances from the airfare alone, but I know he would love the opportunity to experience a "special event" in the Land of Theme Parks.
I just read about the Busch Gardens special where you buy a one day pass that would then be good to the end of the calendar year! HA! So you couldn't pick a worse week to try that "special"!
The bush gardens special is a bit of a rip off, depending on the size of your family but you can get the yearly pass for 20% more and it includes parking so you don't have to pay $12 everytime you use it. The unaccompanied fees are quite a bit they can be $200 for each segment of the trip, Southwest does not charge you for 12 and older most airlines are 16 some 14. Lego land has free kid admissions with adults, sadly most specials are going to be blacked out for that week even most Florida resident stuff. There is usually a 3 day pass for 100 at the Disney parks for residents but its mid January dates, the best I can recommend is the Tampa City pass, it includes 5 attractions for $99, it's a good deal if you can hit the aquarium, zoo and Bush gardens.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:43 PM

1,352 posts, read 723,203 times
Quote:
The airfare just before Christmas goes way up. We were looking to travel at that time and saw them up about $100 each way. Last day for the lower fare was the 20th, after that the went up. The backend is also much higher on New Years day but drops on the 3rd. Any chance to shift your grandson's travel a bit earlier and leave a couple days later?
Quote:
You might call Busch Gardens and ask if their special would wrap into the next year by buying ticket so close to the end of the year. For you, you may want to buy an annual pass, it's $168 but will allow you admission to BG for 1 year and includes free parking (save $20 per visit). You also get some other perks as a member including discounted ticket purchase of 50%.

BG has special event for Christmas (Christmas Town) and New Years Eve too. It's not Disney, but it doesn't cost as much either.

Sorry, not much to offer on what to do as we are going to be in similar boat soon with our grandson coming down to visit us. I'll be watching this thread though Have fun with your Grandson.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:49 PM

3,923 posts, read 10,292,044 times
My youngest Grandson is twelve and he loves going to LEGOLAND.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:57 PM

747 posts, read 753,673 times
perhaps a memorable lifetime experience for him would be a half day of fishing on a charter out of any number of waterfront cities near you.

just an idea...

Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 PM

67 posts, read 49,618 times
thank you all for great information! All will be considered!
But OH! SJNE17, what an awesome idea! He learned to fish off our dock in upstate NY and a fishing trip here would be ...off the hook!!...LOL! Thanks, because that opened my thoughts to other non-theme park pursuits!
I will definitely report back any ideas and the outcome

Old 08-25-2016, 09:10 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,290,432 times
Quote:
Not sure how it will be this year, but it used to be if you buy fun card in December, it's good till the end of following calendar year.
If you are considering Busch Gardens and want Sea World too, you might want to buy 2 park ticket for $109.99 or 3 park tickets for $119.99 and use it at Sea World, Aquatica (will be too cold) or Busch Gardens. Or you can go twice to the same park.
Check out City Pass - for $99 you will get admission to 5 attractions (Busch Gardens, Florida Aquarium, Lowry Park Zoo, Clearwater Aquarium, and either MOSI or some other activity instead.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:53 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,290,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The bush gardens special is a bit of a rip off, depending on the size of your family but you can get the yearly pass for 20% more and it includes parking so you don't have to pay $12 everytime you use it. The unaccompanied fees are quite a bit they can be $200 for each segment of the trip, Southwest does not charge you for 12 and older most airlines are 16 some 14. Lego land has free kid admissions with adults, sadly most specials are going to be blacked out for that week even most Florida resident stuff. There is usually a 3 day pass for 100 at the Disney parks for residents but its mid January dates, the best I can recommend is the Tampa City pass, it includes 5 attractions for $99, it's a good deal if you can hit the aquarium, zoo and Bush gardens.
Oh my, you are so lost in time!!! Please don't spread the info unless you check it (it wont help people much and will be just misinformation)

Busch Gardens now charges $20 for parking!
Fun card cost $99 and annual pass runs for $168. It's not 20% more, it's 68% more.
Disney 3-day passes for Florida residents are $129 and these are good till beginning of May normally.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM

4,812 posts, read 3,462,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Oh my, you are so lost in time!!! Please don't spread the info unless you check it (it wont help people much and will be just misinformation)

Busch Gardens now charges $20 for parking!
Fun card cost $99 and annual pass runs for $168. It's not 20% more, it's 68% more.
Disney 3-day passes for Florida residents are $129 and these are good till beginning of May normally.
I havent had a pass for a couple of years, my kids got tired of Bush Gardens. Oh well I stand corrected, the city pass still a good deal I done that with my niece we didnt even use the bush garden ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay