U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:12 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,857,735 times

Advertisements

Has anyone scheduled an In-home energy audit from Teco?

Link; Energy Audit Program - Tampa Electric

Quote:
In-Home Energy Audit: Schedule a free in-home audit with one of our analysts by calling the number listed below. Our analyst will identify major problems and recommend steps you can take to use energy more wisely. After the audit is complete, you will receive a report that provides recommendations regarding your thermostat settings, air conditioning and heating units, ductwork, insulation levels and more. This free audit takes about an hour and can provide long-lasting benefits.
Our electric bill just hit $180 last month and usually it's about $120 - $130 and we are very frugal with A/C and heating usage.

Based on the audit, did you change anything in your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 06:22 AM

4,500 posts, read 6,559,650 times
My hubby did it a couple years ago.

I don't know if he got anything from it.......

Old 08-24-2016, 07:56 AM

1,352 posts, read 723,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Has anyone scheduled an In-home energy audit from Teco?

Link; Energy Audit Program - Tampa Electric

Our electric bill just hit $180 last month and usually it's about $120 - $130 and we are very frugal with A/C and heating usage.

Based on the audit, did you change anything in your home?
You didn't mention the size or age of your house or how many people you have living in your home so I don't know if that's high for your home. Received our bill, it was $155. We have a 2 story, 2,600 sq/ft house that is newer, keep the thermostat at around 73. We also have a pool so run the pool pump daily and adds to our usage. I think our monthly bill is reasonable given the temps we've been having (slightly above average for all of July and looks like August too) and it's less than I was paying for newer construction home in Chicago area and had no pool.

I haven't had an audit, but from what I see their review will benefit older homes the most. Caulking and sealing the various joints (windows, doors, outlets, etc) is an easy fix and usually will pay for itself quickly. If you don't have CFL or LED lights, that's usually a good investment towards savings (just be sure to shop for deals on each of these). However the bigger benefits come usually from replacing old A/C with a newer, more energy efficient unit and installing more insulation. Those will obviously cost a lot more and have a longer payback, but these will be more measurable savings (typically).

Old 08-24-2016, 08:19 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,666,861 times
my house is about 2300 sqft built in the late 80's with single pane windows and low insulation, Our AC, water heater and appliances are all 1.5 years old and we keep the house at 71/72 for night time and 74ish for day time. Our bills right now are in the 215-225 range.

I plan to add significantly more insulation this winter and re-do the AC duct work for more even distribution and hope to see a little change next year.

The following year I plan to do new double pane windows around the house, don't expect as much of a difference there on power since we don't have much direct sunlight baking any of our windows but hope it helps a little bit.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
my house is about 2300 sqft built in the late 80's with single pane windows and low insulation, Our AC, water heater and appliances are all 1.5 years old and we keep the house at 71/72 for night time and 74ish for day time. Our bills right now are in the 215-225 range.

I plan to add significantly more insulation this winter and re-do the AC duct work for more even distribution and hope to see a little change next year.

The following year I plan to do new double pane windows around the house, don't expect as much of a difference there on power since we don't have much direct sunlight baking any of our windows but hope it helps a little bit.
We were talking with a neighbor, they moved from their old house that was built 20 years ago, they were paying $350 in the summer. They pay less than half with their newer home, roughly the same size.

I don't know if you can retrofit, but our new home has insulation on the roof sheathing. That has really helped to reduce the heat in the attic (and then subsequent transfer to the rest of the house). We had our home inspected and the home inspector noted how "cool" it was in the attic compared to other homes, and it was 92 degrees that day. The attic is 30+ degrees cooler than homes with typical roof sheathing.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
I don't want to be rude but OP sounds illiterate. You could just compare kWh per month basis instead of saying "we're very frugal with". What does that even mean?
Let me just start off by saying WOW! Rude would just be a nice way to describe how you sounded.

The OP posted what they thought was useful comparison point, that does not make them "illiterate". I too only know off the top of my head what $ I pay, but can get the kWh data from TECO if I need it. Even with that information we'd probably need the daily average to account for differences in the # of billing days in the cycle). FYI, my kWh for August bill was 51/day.

However as we probably all pay the same basic rates a comparison of actual $$ paid would be a reasonable data point for comparison, no?

Last edited by bobandsherry; 08-24-2016 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,857,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
I don't want to be rude but OP sounds illiterate. You could just compare kWh per month basis instead of saying "we're very frugal with". What does that even mean?
The Kwh usage is none ya business.

Focus on the Q - I asked if anyone had done an in-home energy audit and what the results were.

If you can't be helpful, please use your time carefully given we all have limited time on this earth.

Edit: Looks like we don't have any posters so far who have done an audit except Sunscape

Old 08-24-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
We were talking with a neighbor, they moved from their old house that was built 20 years ago, they were paying $350 in the summer. They pay less than half with their newer home, roughly the same size.

I don't know if you can retrofit, but our new home has insulation on the roof sheathing. That has really helped to reduce the heat in the attic (and then subsequent transfer to the rest of the house). We had our home inspected and the home inspector noted how "cool" it was in the attic compared to other homes, and it was 92 degrees that day. The attic is 30+ degrees cooler than homes with typical roof sheathing.
yeah, our house prior to this was built by us (completed in 2013 I believe) and was about 2600 sqft and we never went over 180 for the power bill. That foil on the inside of the roof did seem to make a difference, I have considered doing it but it would be a ton of work, i think i rather just pay the slightly higher bill lol.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Focus on the Q - I asked if anyone had done an in-home energy audit and what the results were.

If you can't be helpful, please use your time carefully given we all have limited time on this earth.

Edit: Looks like we don't have any posters so far who have done an audit except Sunscape
My parents had one a while ago, was a waste of time in my opinion.

Walk around your house:
Do you see any holes? if so, fill them
how much insulation do you have in the attic? how much should you have? correct that difference.
how old is your AC? buy a new one
how old is your water heater? get a new one or upgrade to tankless
do you have double pane windows? if not, get them
what do you keep your house temp. at? turn it up a few degrees

We just did your audit together and didnt waste anyones time

Old 08-24-2016, 11:15 AM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 355,923 times
Quote:

You have just proved my point. Read you bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay