Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:26 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times

Advertisements

I just discovered tonight that the old Bro Bowl was demolished for a new and improved skatepark. This happened after I moved to Phoenix, AZ. My brother used to skate there in the early 80s, I did a couple laps through it once, maybe 15 years ago.

The vibe really changed around there after they razed Central Park Village. I don't know, I was kind of sad to see the projects go, it took the excitement out of the bro bowl.

Did any of you skaters and former skaters visit the Bro Bowl? Do you have any stories to share?

Here is an excellent documentary on the place:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rZRLqVh9L9Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 05:27 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
The new Bro Bowl/Park is actually really nice. Skaters won out. And, it's a block away from the original.

https://youtu.be/f4rnskhMKKM

Old 08-25-2016, 08:09 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
There was a concerted effort by the local skater community to get it entered into the National Register of Historic Places, which I believe was successful. Unfortunately, "Bob", our wonderful mayor, wanted nothing to do with it, and used his political clout to have it razed.

However, he did end up having to compromise on the destruction by paying for a rather involved 3-D laser mapping of the site in order to be able to recreate it at some time in the future. I also believe they built a new skate park on the same site, just slightly farther north, but it was not intended to recreate the Bro Bowl.

RM

Old 08-25-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
There was a concerted effort by the local skater community to get it entered into the National Register of Historic Places, which I believe was successful. Unfortunately, "Bob", our wonderful mayor, wanted nothing to do with it, and used his political clout to have it razed.

However, he did end up having to compromise on the destruction by paying for a rather involved 3-D laser mapping of the site in order to be able to recreate it at some time in the future. I also believe they built a new skate park on the same site, just slightly farther north, but it was not intended to recreate the Bro Bowl.

RM
You're incredibly misinformed. The new skatepark is already built. It is just north (literally, one block north) of the original, and the 3D mapped bro bowl is at the center... With a concrete park built around it. The park was registered as historic. Team Pain was responsible for the new park.

And Bob isn't "the wonderful mayor" of Southern Hillsborough. He's the mayor of Tampa. You couldn't vote for him if you wanted to.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
You're incredibly misinformed. The new skatepark is already built. It is just north (literally, one block north) of the original, and the 3D mapped bro bowl is at the center... With a concrete park built around it. The park was registered as historic. Team Pain was responsible for the new park.

And Bob isn't "the wonderful mayor" of Southern Hillsborough. He's the mayor of Tampa. You couldn't vote for him if you wanted to.
I am not. Things are exactly as I described.

Quote:
I also believe they built a new skate park on the same site, just slightly farther north.
And where did this come from? There's nothing remotely close to this in my post, not to mention I spoke in the past tense, as in "It's been built"..

Quote:
And Bob isn't "the wonderful mayor" of Southern Hillsborough. He's the mayor of Tampa.
And I don't live in Southern Hillsborough. Please get your eyesight checked, it appears to be failing.

RM

Old 08-25-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
but it was not intended to recreate the Bro Bowl.
This alone was incredibly dishonest.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
This alone was incredibly dishonest.
It wasn't. And it's typically disingenuous of you to say so.

The new Bro Bowl was intended to improve it. As someone who knows people like Brian Schaefer (you likely can't place this name without Googling, I'm sure) quite well I am very familiar with the effort to preserve the original Bro Bowl and the design and construction of the "new and improved" Bro Bowl.

Bother to read the local media once in a while?

New Bro Bowl in Tampa more than halfway complete | WFLA.com

Yeah. I didn't think so. Incredibly dishonest of you.

RM

Old 08-25-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
As someone who knows people like Brian Schaefer (you likely can't place this name without Googling, I'm sure)
I have his skatepark's logo tattooed to my body. I would hope I can place the name without googling.

But you can't make the claim that:

Quote:
but it was not intended to recreate the Bro Bowl.
while simultaneously saying:

Quote:
he did end up having to compromise on the destruction by paying for a rather involved 3-D laser mapping of the site in order to be able to recreate it at some time in the future.
If it wasn't intended to recreate the bro bowl, they wouldn't have 3D mapped it out to... Recreate the Bro Bowl.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:00 PM

819 posts, read 1,407,915 times
Great job ruining the thread; feel better now that you've both professed your man crush for Brian Schaefer?

Old 08-26-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
Great job ruining the thread; feel better now that you've both professed your man crush for Brian Schaefer?
Ruined it? I quite literally posted a video of the new park. https://youtu.be/f4rnskhMKKM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: