U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 AM

21 posts, read 15,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
You think traffic in Tampa area is bad, getting through Orlando from north to south - ugh !
Housing around $200,000 possible, but not a cute 3/2/2 with a pool in a nice subdivision near to stuff. You can find a home
farther out east side of Tampa Bay south of Tampa but then you have the commute. You will find rental less than NYC by miles, but if you look at downtown St Pete, which is the nicest place to live for younger folks, and has Johns Hopkins All Childrens Hospital and Bayfront Med Centre plus other hospitals down there, you can look at anything between $1.50/$2SF for a rental unit. There are cute bungalow properties in Kenwood, ranging from $250K-$350K which are selling like hotcakes and closer in to St Pete, property is very expensive. You probably need to choose which side of the bay you are going to live, Tampa side, or St Pete/Clearwater - both have great number of medical facilities and depending on construction types, there is always something going on both sides there too.

Thank you. I didn't think about having to choose between which side of the bay. I figure the tampa side because it is closer to Orlando which is closer to my relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
We moved here from Westchester/NYC in 2014. It's all relative and depends on your salary. We took our salaries with us so for us it's a lot cheaper. I couldn't fathom paying 12k taxes on a 450k crapper in Westchester.

We bought a house for 330k in November 2014 and sold it for $380k a couple of months ago. It was too big, no need for a pool etc. We bought a smaller one for $250k.

There are so many New Yorkers living here and moving you'll be shocked.
I can see your point on having too much house. What area would you suggest us looking into in terms of a house around $200k? I wouldn't mind a 30-40 min commute to tampa for work.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyasellstampa View Post
If you are moving into the North Tampa area (Carrollwood, North Dale, Citrus Park area) it is the 'burbs', but nice. A rental (3/2) can be had from 1300k on up in a decent neighborhood.. we had one in Country Place.
We moved down here because my husband (originally from NY and we were in VA Beach) got a great job offer running a stand alone ER. The pay increase was significant, the housing prices cheaper, and there is no state income tax. There are a TON of NY living here.. tons of different cultural and ethnic foods. The only big things we have found is the insurance (car especially) is way higher and the registration fees at the "tax collector" are a shock.
if you go to movingtoTampaFL.com there is a free relocation guide if you are interested.
How bad is car insurance? Currently I am paying $190/month so I'd image it has to be better in Tampa lol. What other areas would you recommend us looking for a house that is around $200k and about a 30-40 min commute from Tampa?

Old 09-01-2016, 12:17 PM

261 posts, read 175,674 times
I commuted from St Pete to Overview/Brandon already for a 6 months and Let me tell you, I think that would put Orlando to shame on rainy days where the bridges are stopped up!

Old 09-02-2016, 08:50 PM

208 posts, read 126,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethjv View Post
Thank you so much. Specifically on cost of living, did you only see a big difference in the rent? Were there any other things that made you think you were saving more by being in tampa?

Also, my father lives in Orlando so I've been there about 10 times in the past 10 years. Do you know how Orlando compare to Tampa?
I would say yes, the biggest difference was in the rent cost, everything else cost about the same compared to NJ. (Utilities, food etc.) The produce seem to be a little pricier here than up north. I overheard parents stating that childcare was a little more affordable too.

I've been to Orlando a couple times, the only thing I can say about Orlando is that there is lots of traffic, which can get very annoying when you're trying to go around and take care of your business. Orlando is still nice though, lots to do, and seems to have a big job market.

I have to say I like Tampa better, it's more laid back and feels a little less "man made"

Old 09-03-2016, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 411 times
Moved down here from NJ in 2014. We make about the same as we did in NJ, but our standard of living is vastly improved. We rent an apartment in a beautiful complex with pool, hot tub, gym, car care station for about 40% less than our small apt in NJ. The work ethic of native Floridians leaves much to be desired. If you have that Northern work ethic, finding good work should be no problem. You should check out Pinellas county, as it has a much different vibe than Hillsborough, yet it's right across the bridge. We live in St Pete and you can't beat the access to the beach, the downtown scene, or the weather. Tampa is nice, but dead at night. Downtown st Pete is vibrant. Our combined salaries of about 80k a year allow us to live a comfortable life here. Good luck to you

Old 09-03-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candh07 View Post
I would say yes, the biggest difference was in the rent cost, everything else cost about the same compared to NJ. (Utilities, food etc.) The produce seem to be a little pricier here than up north. I overheard parents stating that childcare was a little more affordable too.

I've been to Orlando a couple times, the only thing I can say about Orlando is that there is lots of traffic, which can get very annoying when you're trying to go around and take care of your business. Orlando is still nice though, lots to do, and seems to have a big job market.

I have to say I like Tampa better, it's more laid back and feels a little less "man made"
Ok the cost of living gives me a better perspective and a cheaper rent/mortgage has a huge impact for sure.

You're right about Orlando traffic because I've seen it first hand and it is pretty bad.

The vibe in Tampa sounds more like something we'd be geared toward.

Thank you so much! You've been very helpful.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davestpete2014 View Post
Moved down here from NJ in 2014. We make about the same as we did in NJ, but our standard of living is vastly improved. We rent an apartment in a beautiful complex with pool, hot tub, gym, car care station for about 40% less than our small apt in NJ. The work ethic of native Floridians leaves much to be desired. If you have that Northern work ethic, finding good work should be no problem. You should check out Pinellas county, as it has a much different vibe than Hillsborough, yet it's right across the bridge. We live in St Pete and you can't beat the access to the beach, the downtown scene, or the weather. Tampa is nice, but dead at night. Downtown st Pete is vibrant. Our combined salaries of about 80k a year allow us to live a comfortable life here. Good luck to you
If you don't mind me asking, what are your occupations? I want to get a sense of what I should expect in terms of my career (construction management).

There is nothing like the work ethic of the Tristate area lol we are a hustling bunch so I know that would take some getting used to down there in Florida.

When you say that's Tampa is dead at night, are you referring to the "party" scene or just general movement? We aren't the partying type so that wouldn't be a bad thing as long as we could go to a bar or lounge every once in a while.

If you don't mind me asking, in the area you live, what are the rent rates?

Old 09-06-2016, 09:14 PM

50 posts, read 24,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethjv View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what are your occupations? I want to get a sense of what I should expect in terms of my career (construction management).

There is nothing like the work ethic of the Tristate area lol we are a hustling bunch so I know that would take some getting used to down there in Florida.

When you say that's Tampa is dead at night, are you referring to the "party" scene or just general movement? We aren't the partying type so that wouldn't be a bad thing as long as we could go to a bar or lounge every once in a while.

If you don't mind me asking, in the area you live, what are the rent rates?
He must be talking downtown specifically. Nightlife wise Ybor city and SoHo are a great time

Old 09-09-2016, 04:35 AM

697 posts, read 420,196 times
Moving here from New York, can we just make this a sticky thread already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or