Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times

Advertisements

I think Tampa/STP being a big "global city" would be one reason to get the heck out of Dodge......don't need the headaches that we see in the news with crime, traffic, population density, etc etc etc. You can have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 07:53 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
I think it depends, and of course there are positives too, if the growth is managed well. For example, Tokyo, the world's largest city has also been voted as most livable two years running, and has a reputation for being pleasant/safe/navigable. But, the managing growth part is difficult, and Sun Belt cities haven't always been the best at doing so (see: Miami).

Old 09-22-2016, 08:36 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I think it depends, and of course there are positives too
For every growing city, there's a pretty sizable population who "liked it better 'back in the day.'" They will find the negative to any growth and complain the second something changes. My favorite complaint so far has been that Picnic Island sucks because, and I quote, "they used to have more palm trees."

Old 09-25-2016, 11:36 AM

107 posts, read 110,577 times
Without a good sewage system, it will only be known as St Sheete.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:23 AM

76 posts, read 108,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Tampa is too lame to ever become a real city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I would say No. I don't find the area giving the impression, that there is any interest in being more than it is now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
No. the geography is not conducive to major development so Tampa will never be a global city in that sense.
Spot on each of you!!

Old 09-26-2016, 08:16 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
The OP is asking if "Tampa Bay" has potential to become a global "city." Obviously Tampa Bay is a geographical metropolitan area; Tampa is a city.

I think the Tampa Bay metro area has the ability to become a major metro area, similar to the DC-metropolitan area.

DC-Metro, which includes various cities, counties and towns within Maryland, Virginia and the entire District of Columbia, was able to become a major metro area through the cooperation of all these political entities.

Up until the late 1960s, there was very little cooperation among the various cities, counties and towns. It was the dream of Metro (the subway system) that brought everyone together (or left them behind for those localities that chose not to join in).

Work on the subway began in 1969 and it didn't open until 1976. But it was well-planned and participating jurisdictions did a lot of smart urban planning around the subway stations, long before these stations opened. The system started small, but had expansion plans in its original design, many of which have since been built. The Metro transit system made the DC-Metro area what it is today.

While underground transit isn't an option in FL, light rail that goes through Pinellas County, the Cities of Tampa and St. Petersburg, Hillsborough County is something that out to be on the drawing boards now with regional boards getting their acts together.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:33 PM

22 posts, read 22,977 times
Idk. I used to live in the Tampa Bay Area but it didn't feel like a real city to me. Much of it is trashy. However, I feel like most people who are familiar with the state of Florida know of it, and it definitely draws in the tourists.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:35 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,019,803 times
If you watch Sunday or Monday night football, they show those aerial overhead videos from the blimp showing all the big city lights and tall buildings and cool stuff going on. But in Tampa? Everything is dark and covered in trees and there's almost nothing going on.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:39 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
If you watch Sunday or Monday night football, they show those aerial overhead videos from the blimp showing all the big city lights and tall buildings and cool stuff going on. But in Tampa? Everything is dark and covered in trees and there's almost nothing going on.
I take it you've never been here?

Old 10-16-2016, 03:52 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,976 times
Hmmmm..................yes and no. Yes, because it is the closest deep water port to central America. No, because our manufacturing needs to come back so we have something to export.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay