Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 08:16 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,785 times

Advertisements

"....before moving to Tampa Bay in 2008, no one in Germany has ever heard about the area, literally no one...."

Well, things have sure changed. If you consider St Pete to be part of the Tampa Bay area (and I consider us our own entity, so I guess that depends), this place is booming like gangbusters. Everywhere I go in this city there is new development going on, and there is a real sense that we had better enjoy it while we can before it gets out of hand, as much of downtown is getting. There is an influx of New Yorkers and other East Coast people (which I could do w/o, but they can come here just like anyone else. I guess) who are fed up w/ the extreme amount of money that is needed to live up there, as well as the frigid winters. They seem to love it down here, and I have to admit, St Pete has so much to offer it's not funny. That's why I moved here. It's a happening place (for what it is, and it's getting more densely populated every day).

So someone is apparently getting the message that this a great place to live. Now whether or not that translates into any awareness in Germany is sort of a moot point, since where we are geographically is more about Cuba and other places in this hemisphere.

Tampa seems to be taking a different direction, and I haven't a clue as to what is happening over there. This is very much like I operated when I lived in 'frisco. I, and most of the city, thought that there wasn't anywhere else we needed to go, so I lived in S.F. for a few years before even venturing over to Oakland and Berkeley. Once I went, I honestly didn't see much reason to go again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 05:47 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,626 times
smarino: exactly. looking for a place to buy close close to downtown that's affordable (south sp?) and finding little if any.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:05 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,019,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
smarino: exactly. looking for a place to buy close close to downtown that's affordable (south sp?) and finding little if any.
Close to downtown St. Pete or downtown Tampa? South St. Pete to downtown Tampa could be a slow tough commute during rush hour, maybe an hour's drive one-way. South St. Pete is notorious for its impoverished high-crime drug and prostitute-infested neighborhoods, especially an area called Mid-Town that is just west and a little south of downtown. There are a few small pockets of OK neighborhoods in South St. Pete, but I'd want to scope them out thoroughly (at night) first.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:10 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,626 times
St pete and i agree. Not sure which of the south st pete areas to start the scope in but thanks.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:15 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,019,578 times
A commute from South St. Pete to downtown St. Pete should be a piece of cake, compared to frickin' stupid Tampa. Makes me jealous. But lately, I have noticed the Carillon area is worse than it used to be a few years ago. That place has really grown.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:03 AM

133 posts, read 131,013 times
Frankly I'm glad no one in GERMANY has never heard of TampaBay. Lots of US citizens don't give a damn about cities in Germany either.

Florida's population is attracting new residents, remote workers, entrepreneurs, students, retirees every year.

I'ved lived in Tampa Bay (TPA, Clearwater and St Pete), now I'm over the Skyway, and I can tell you for a fact, there are lots of GERMANS who visit and live in Sarasota all the way down to Naples and Bonita.

TampaBay in many ways is already becoming a "global city"...new ports in Tampa, Port Manatee, direct flights and connections to CUBA and even Iceland. It will never be a "Miami"...thank god, but the Bay area is quite a booming area, from Pasco to Manatee-Sarasota. We in TampaBay don't even "relate" to Orlando, and most of us can't stand Orlando OR Miami...LOL.

Professional Football, SOCCER, Baseball, Hockey, The Arts, boating, great food, great beaches from Clearwater to Siesta key, good boating and fishing, and sorta "hurricane proof" LOL LOL

Old 07-07-2022, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 1,565 times
Yes, Tampa will be a global city one day soon as the population continues to grow and diversify I will elaborate more. In 2013 Tampa Bay (was picked) to join the “Global Cities Initiative” - A program developed by the Brookings Institution and JPMorgan Chase, It equips metropolitan leaders with the information, policy ideas and global connections they need to bolster their regions' positions in the global economy to increase a metro area’s global trade and economic competitiveness. Since 2013 I can honestly say that the Tampa area started to turn a new leaf since as early as 2015/16, It’s only been up from there which at times is bittersweet. Increase in density, Increase in construction of roads and buildings etc, increase in population which is seen in the increase in traffic, increase in jobs, increase in cost of living, (area wide) increase in rents, increase of homelessness, increase of crime, increase of start up businesses, increase of headquarters relocating here, increase of renovations of businesses all over the area, increase of new homes/apartments being constructed, and the list goes on. A few days ago Tampa Int’l Airport added direct flights from Tampa to London and new direct flights from various global well known cities are being added on a weekly basis. In 2021 Tom Brady took Tampa Bay to the Super Bowl and won, The Buccaneers became the first team to win a Super Bowl in their host stadium. This gave Tampa even more recognition. The facts I have given in my excerpt are credible and can be researched, So again I say yes to your question.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:39 AM

146 posts, read 123,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio656 View Post
A few days ago Tampa Int’l Airport added direct flights from Tampa to London and new direct flights from various global well known cities are being added on a weekly basis. .
Correction: They have added NON-STOP flights.

Old 07-09-2022, 12:59 PM

2,338 posts, read 2,286,565 times
I can see Tampa evolving into a city like Houston or Dallas, but it probably won’t be the next NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. It has a lot to offer, but I think Miami may have a better offering in most respects so that’s the city emerging as a genuine global city.

Old 07-09-2022, 01:44 PM

17,163 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I can see Tampa evolving into a city like Houston or Dallas, but it probably won’t be the next NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc. It has a lot to offer, but I think Miami may have a better offering in most respects so that’s the city emerging as a genuine global city.
Right. Miami is THE Florida city. Unless something drastic happens, Tampa will always be a second-tier city, as Miami continues to steamroll its way through the Southeast.
Tampa is kind of still stuck in the backwoods to be honest... Little to no interest in investing in rapid transit, commuter rail lines, etc. Can't evolve much without those crucial things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay