Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 08:29 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is OK to post here but here goes. I am a recently relocated to the area man and am semi retired and looking for part time work. I am reliable, always on time and very honest. I am retired from machine shops but have experience in carpentry and light maintenance too. I have a reliable pick up truck as well. Any help will be appreciated....just an older guy trying to make some extra dough in the Dade City/ Wesley Chapel/ Zhills areas.
Thanks folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 09:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Try some of the local golf courses they are usually looking for spare grounds maintenance personel.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:23 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Do you want be self employed, and set your own hours and have no boss to report to ?

Scrap metal, or recycle old computers and electronics for e scrap. Find out what day the home owners put out their stuff.

Clean dryer vents using a electric yard blower, and a mesh catch bag attached to the outlet pipe on the outside of the house. That one is a easy sell to just about any homeowner over age 50.

Dog waste clean up, backyards. Use a yard vacuum and heavy duty trash bags.

Retail store window cleaning. Very low start up, and if you ride a pedal bike, you get a free work out.
Water, vinegar, squeegee, a reach pole, a bucket, and rags. Total cost under 100 bucks.

Like dogs ? Dog walker, pet sitter. Check and see what others charge, make your rates 20 percent less. Advertise at places where dog owners but pet food and or local dog parks.

Pick up truck ideas. Many people today have VERY small cars, but they also buy VERY large TV's and sofas, usually on a Saturday. You park in the shade and watch the store front door. As they struggle to load the "too large to fit in my car " item, walk over and see if they would like to get it home for a small cash amount like 20 or 30 bucks. They carry, you drive, nothing more. Pure profit, less gas. Your time is free.

If your truck has a tow hitch, and wiring harness, advertise local boat and or trailer moves, on Craigslist . Pay half up front in cash, balance at delivery point, BEFORE you unhook the item.

Now sit back and wait for all the negative people show up on here with a hundred reasons why you should get a job at Lowes. The same ones who never actually have had a small business of any kind , unlike me. At age 70 I still have a computer recycling business and I also buy and sell things that I get at local auctions. Full time and profitable.

Jim b.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:48 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
Good ideas Jim B...thanks!

Old 08-13-2016, 12:21 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Namder 1.

You are most welcome. A couple of questions for you....

Are there any golf course around where you are ? There are online companies that will sell you barely used top quality balls, with mail delivery to your door, for so much a ball. I'm taking the ones that cost over $60 a dozen for about 2 dollars each....... See a possibility there ?

They also sell grade two or three balls, that are good for practice use, for much less.

How about a system to rejuvenate tired golf cart batteries that won't hold a charge....... that costs you about $10 a battery, and uses common household materials ? Those cart batteries cost hundreds of dollars each and most courses have dozens of them. A ready made market in Florida. Do some looking around on youtube there are quite a few how to do it videos that tell you all about it and what to use it, too.

Boats need their bottoms cleaned periodically ..... A new way to do it is with a blaster that uses dry ice pellets that the machine makes as you use it. It works better than chemicals, is non toxic and as it dries it leaves nothing behind. Investment is about $5,000 but you all ready have the truck.......That machine can ALSO blast car bodies down to the clear metal before painting, and clean brick and metal roofs, depending on how you set the nozzle. Compared to sand blasting there is nothing left behind. The dry ice melts with in 15 minutes no clean up required. Self contained and mounted on a trailer, it can go anywhere.

BTW I don't sell any of these things, I do keep my eyes and ears open.

Jim b.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:05 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I'd check with Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:50 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Might sound stupid but considering all the retiree's that move down here like yourself has, a "Handy Man" business might really be something to consider and only requires a business license ($65) and general liability insurance (around $500 year).
You could advertise in a few of the nicer communities newsletter's. Westchase for example has a newsletter called westchasewow.com

All you have to do is be there when you say your gonna be there and do a good job and you will get as much work as you want.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I presume in retirement you want to take on a more leisurely pace in life, my suggestion of Golf course maintenance would definitely fill that need as you basically sit on a machine and cut grass or rake sand traps also grounds maintenance personnel get free use of the golf course and carts after work so if you are into golf its a cheap way to participate. and you get to work in this environment everyday=
https://www.google.ca/search?biw=853....0.HwUGC_hO454

Old 08-14-2016, 12:53 PM

622 posts, read 410,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Might sound stupid but considering all the retiree's that move down here like yourself has, a "Handy Man" business might really be something to consider and only requires a business license ($65) and general liability insurance (around $500 year).
You could advertise in a few of the nicer communities newsletter's. Westchase for example has a newsletter called westchasewow.com

All you have to do is be there when you say your gonna be there and do a good job and you will get as much work as you want.
I agree with this suggestion if you have handyman skills.

Having moved to the Tampa area just over a year ago, I can tell you that getting a reliable, competent handyman who charges reasonable prices is a rarity.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 3,947 times
I lived in Pasco county - Wesley Chapel for nearly 4 years. With your skills I would just start doing odd jobs for the area around where you live. The toughest part of finding good help in that area is dependability. People show up one day and never see them again. With your work ethic you should be able to build a nice little clientele in no time. Remember the salt air in Florida literally destroys door hardware and locks. You could make a living just replacing those items. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay