U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 07:30 PM

33 posts, read 85,464 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family and I are looking into moving to the Tampa area this summer and I am trying to gather as much information on homeschooling groups as possible. I currently have my child in a 2 day a week school and am looking for the same in the Tampa/LOL/Lutz area. Are there any part time schools out there? Have been looking online, but in my experience some of the coolest things for homeschoolers haven't been listed on the traditional sites. Any help, suggestions, ideas, info would be most appreciated!!

Thanks in advance...

palmtreelover99
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:03 AM

3,913 posts, read 10,023,674 times
Would you please tell us how old your child is and/or at what grade level?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 AM

849 posts, read 3,133,930 times
Thumbs up Great!

now what are these "coolest things" you're looking for? My grands are far away so I'm not up on the school situation although I really believe in home schooling. If you clue us in maybe we can suggest where you can find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeLover99 View Post
Hello! My family and I are looking into moving to the Tampa area this summer and I am trying to gather as much information on homeschooling groups as possible. I currently have my child in a 2 day a week school and am looking for the same in the Tampa/LOL/Lutz area. Are there any part time schools out there? Have been looking online, but in my experience some of the coolest things for homeschoolers haven't been listed on the traditional sites. Any help, suggestions, ideas, info would be most appreciated!!

Thanks in advance...

palmtreelover99

Old 02-27-2008, 06:42 AM

Thanks for responding! My kiddo will be in 3rd grade next year.

I guess what I meant by the coolest things is just stuff that's not listed on the traditional homeschooling sites. Most of the things I have found where we're at now have been through friends or local publications. For instance the part time school I have him in now is online, but not listed with local homeschool directories. Found it solely through a friend at church. Was just wondering if maybe there were some of those hidden things in the Tampa region? Right now he goes 2 days and takes science, creative writing, art, spanish, history....even though they have grades and such I am still the one responsible for all of that as far as turning it into my umbrella school, etc. Am looking for something like that in Tampa. The ones I have found so far are either just 1 day (we might have to settle for that) or 2-3, but pretty much control what curriculum you use while the child is at home. Right now we use what we want for his other subjects he is not learning at school. Sorry if this is confusing!

Also, I did find two that look interesting...one is in Temple Terrace and the other in New Port Richey. If we end up in LOL/Wesley Chapel area what will my commute be looking like? Right now we're driving 30 minutes to get to school so we're accustomed to some travel.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:53 AM

Smile getting to

Temple Terrace from WC isn't bad at off hours. Some traffic but you can get on I-75 and zip down pretty easily but it'll still be a half hour. If he's getting out at rush hour, going home wil be miserable. It's just a few exits to Fowler Ave. NPR is west and that means using SR54 which is NOT expressway after Odessa. I don't know how traffic is others can tell you but by distance I'm guesstimating at least a half hr. maybe more. My gut, and that's all it is, says check out the NPR place first.

Quote:
Thanks for responding! My kiddo will be in 3rd grade next year.

I guess what I meant by the coolest things is just stuff that's not listed on the traditional homeschooling sites. Most of the things I have found where we're at now have been through friends or local publications. For instance the part time school I have him in now is online, but not listed with local homeschool directories. Found it solely through a friend at church. Was just wondering if maybe there were some of those hidden things in the Tampa region? Right now he goes 2 days and takes science, creative writing, art, spanish, history....even though they have grades and such I am still the one responsible for all of that as far as turning it into my umbrella school, etc. Am looking for something like that in Tampa. The ones I have found so far are either just 1 day (we might have to settle for that) or 2-3, but pretty much control what curriculum you use while the child is at home. Right now we use what we want for his other subjects he is not learning at school. Sorry if this is confusing!

Also, I did find two that look interesting...one is in Temple Terrace and the other in New Port Richey. If we end up in LOL/Wesley Chapel area what will my commute be looking like? Right now we're driving 30 minutes to get to school so we're accustomed to some travel.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Thanks jessiesma! What's funny is my gut is also telling me to check out the NPR place first! I found another option that would also be there last night.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:28 PM

Default I think if you are a

church oriented family, and this isn't to slam anyone else, but I think NPR is a better choice. That's just a gut reaction. TT has a very diverse population and there are mosques and a Hindu temple so whichever makes you more comfortable.

Quote:
Thanks jessiesma! What's funny is my gut is also telling me to check out the NPR place first! I found another option that would also be there last night.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM

8 posts, read 36,175 times
Default Tampa Bay Ballet Teacher Available for Homeschool Groups and Co-ops

Hello to all! My name is Lindsay Latham, Director of the Tampa Bay Ballet. I have been teaching all forms of dance to all ages at all levels for ten years now and I am seeking out homeschooling groups and co-ops to give intructions in ballet, lyrical and jazz dance. I currently teach for the St. Pete Co-operative Homeschoolers, Homeschoolers of Pinellas (HOP) and Caryl's Studio of Performing Arts. If you are interested in holding classes with your homeschool group, or you feel that you or your child would benefit from private instruction, please contact me at (727) 688-7670 or email me at twinkletoes7997@yahoo.com. You may log on to Tampa Bay Ballet > Home for the instructor biographies and for more information about all the classes offered in the Tampa Bay area. Thank you. I hope to hear from you soon.

-Lindsay Latham
-Director-Tampa Bay Ballet
Tampa Bay Ballet > Home
twinkletoes7997@yahoo.com
(727) 688-7670

Old 08-23-2008, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 7,322 times
Default part-time schools for homeschoolers in the Tampa area

I would love to know about the school in Temple Terrace that you can go part-time. I've heard about it before but forgot the school's name. What is the name of the school? Thanks for any info. you could give me. I think that situation sounds ideal.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:50 AM

8 posts, read 36,175 times
That school is Class Source. Dina Fox is the Director. There is a link to their school from our website www.tampabayballet.com under class schedules and locations. It is located on Fletcher Ave now at the Lake Magdeline Church on Tuesday and some classes meet on Thursday too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay