Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:07 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Red light runners caught on camera receive citations - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2009/6/22/487710.html?title=Red+light+runners+caught+on+came ra+receive+citations - broken link)

At least over here you have a chance to see the images...something that in many countries is not an option and you just have to pay...here you know there is proof. I hope it will help a lot towards safety of others....we all see how many times people drive through red lights and most likely it are the same offenders over and over. The other day I was passed by a car who was going at least 70 in a 45 area...soon after the left turn signal was on red and the car just went through the red light...2 offenses in less than minutes and of course no police any where...This was in St. Pete...luckily no accident occured just some drivers like me who were shocked because you didn't expect some one flying by on that road and than going through a red light in the middle of the day when a lot of traffic is on the road...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
They need to do that all over Florida. These idiots need to be hit in the wallet or purse. It's not their right to drive. Get them off the road!!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i have 1 complaint. in this state we can turn on red. but if your bumper is not lined up just right on the white line you got yourself a non contestable ticket for 370 bucks. it happens alot.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:13 PM

552 posts, read 592,129 times
I have been to and from many cities throughout the Southeast, born in FL but lived in another state in the Southeast for a while, and even in cities as large or larger than your Tampa's and your Orlando's, I DO NOT SEE the same mentality of just running through a red light like I do here in my home state. And it wasnt even an issue when I was young, back in the old FL days, when people knew eachother and waved to one another. Also, in places like Charlotte NC where I lived close to and traveled to many times, there are TONS of Floridians there, but they dont do it up there. So WHO is doing it down here? The all about "me-me-me's" are the ones, the ones that will run a red light to save themselves 5 seconds, the people that will honk at you if you come to a complete stop at a stop-sign, etc... FL is FILLED with them now, so my question is, are they gonna go home or are they gonna make every last FL cracker native leave because we just cant take it anymore?

End Rant...

Old 06-23-2009, 04:53 PM

132 posts, read 325,190 times
This may help protect you from the government's unending appetite for your money.

PhotoBlocker

Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
I think it is not a matter of who is passing the red light. It's about the enforcement of the rules by the authorities. I have driven in many states and other countries and when you see that every body obeys the law you tend to do it or risk getting ticket, then YOU WILL DEFINIETLY obey the rule. If the place is loose, then people also become loose on the rules. I have seen even a police car changing lanes without a signal, or turning onto the outer lane when they should get into the inner lane, which would get you ticket or at least a stop in some other places.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Sorry Scientific Madness, but FL has very poorly trained drivers. Look at the teens here , Tampa Bay leads the nation in deadly teen crashes.

Lived in CA for 20 years and you would be hard pressed to find any natives in that state, yet you don't see the amount of poor drivers like you do here. They are much better drivers.

For one thing you don't get away with much in CA on the roads. The "stunts" I have seen pulled down here on the roads wouldn't fly in CA.

A driving test here doesn't even involve driving in the street. Someone who grew up here told me that back in the 70's all a teen needed was a note from their parent and they got a driver's permit.

Today a road test here consists of going around a couple of orange cones in a parking lot. And I never seen so much tailgating as there is here.

Between the really old here and the really young, driving in FL is a nightmare.

And 40% here drive with no car insurance.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:28 PM

552 posts, read 592,129 times
Default reponse

[quote=seain dublin;9433625]Sorry Scientific Madness, but FL has very poorly trained drivers. Look at the teens here , Tampa Bay leads the nation in deadly teen crashes. Not only teens. Teens are probably going to be average (at best) drivers for a while anyway. But the Angry and aggressive types that FL gets from other states is what worries me. I'm a good driver, as is my wife and our family members, many of which born and raised in FL. But I have some neighbors (almost all are from NY or NJ), and I kid you not, they will honk at you if you come to a complete stop at a stop sign. And then on the roads/highways it only gets worse. I have seen some NJ/NY drivers (many of which still have their NJ/NY tag on the front of their car which is soooo tacky) pull some of the craziest and insane stunts I never saw in rural FL or in NC (where thousands of native Floridians now call home). FL is a magnet for transients, bad drivers, people hiding from the law...

Lived in CA for 20 years and you would be hard pressed to find any natives in that state, yet you don't see the amount of poor drivers like you do here. They are much better drivers. I wouldnt know. But I believe you. Like I said above, FL attracts a lot of bad apples... or should I say ticked off apples.

For one thing you don't get away with much in CA on the roads. The "stunts" I have seen pulled down here on the roads wouldn't fly in CA.

A driving test here doesn't even involve driving in the street. Someone who grew up here told me that back in the 70's all a teen needed was a note from their parent and they got a driver's permit. I wasnt alive in the 70's, but have family members here before then, so I'd have to ask about that one. People living in FL, imo, when I was a kid, were more responsible and you didnt see the stunts you see nowadays back then. Back then people had lived here for years and waved back to one another. Now I got people in my subdivision who wont even wave back to you. FL wasnt like this in the past.

Today a road test here consists of going around a couple of orange cones in a parking lot. And I never seen so much tailgating as there is here. Impatient people in a hurry to go nowhere. Have you ever seen the sign "slow down, your here already?"

Between the really old here and the really young, driving in FL is a nightmare. I agree. And then you add in the angry people between the two and it's a real pleasant experience.

And 40% here drive with no car insurance. That is scary, and something needs to be done about that.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesandbeachbum View Post
This may help protect you from the government's unending appetite for your money.

PhotoBlocker
In Europe people bought things like you suggest and if they get caught, which happens more than you think...the ticket was more than double....and I guess that will happen over here sooner than later.

The other thing is why do people want to buy stuff and spend money on it just to do something illegal which can and will cause accidents like going through a red light...

I also believe just as others that the driving test over here is a joke and is one of the causes of the bad driving habits...on top of that the eye test at the DMV is even worse. I have seen elderly people who got to borrow glasses from people working at the DMV so finally the could pass the exam...after that they walk out get in their car and drive...without having the glasses and only when they get stopped by an officer they might end up with a ticket since on their license is stated they neeed to drive with glasses, up till than they are almost legally blind and driving!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 AM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry Scientific Madness, but FL has very poorly trained drivers. Look at the teens here , Tampa Bay leads the nation in deadly teen crashes.

Lived in CA for 20 years and you would be hard pressed to find any natives in that state, yet you don't see the amount of poor drivers like you do here. They are much better drivers.

A driving test here doesn't even involve driving in the street. Someone who grew up here told me that back in the 70's all a teen needed was a note from their parent and they got a driver's permit.

Today a road test here consists of going around a couple of orange cones in a parking lot. And I never seen so much tailgating as there is here.

Between the really old here and the really young, driving in FL is a nightmare.

And 40% here drive with no car insurance.
The state of Florida is very lax about giving drivers licenses. Anyone can get one. It seems all you need is a pulse. Broken tailights and signals (no one uses them anyways) don't worry about it. And the streetlights don't mean a thing. "Just do whatever you feel like"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay