U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,356 times

Advertisements

hey everyone....I know a thread like this has been done a MILLION times...so my apologies now

I just moved down to the Tampa area recently.....I basically uped and left NYC to come down here....being a 25 year old woman & not knowing a soul.... I feel like a fish out of water & being this age it is a bit difficult to meet new people....has anyone else been in this situation? I have no idea where to go or what to do....anyone else feel my pain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,491,737 times
Volunteer, you can meet lots of decent people through volunteering at a place and doing something you really enjoy doing that not only makes you feel good about yourself, but meet someone with similar qualities.

Meetup.com is a great site, there are a variety of different meetups, like outdoor adventurists(kayak, canoeing, rock climbing, hiking, biking, etc.), to movie meetups, to social meetups. Check that one out.

Go to one of the numerous art gallery walks, a festival(like this weekend Hyde Park Village Art Festival, or Fiesta Day down in Ybor City), Saturday Morning Fresh Markets in Ybor, Hyde Park, St. Pete....you never know who you may strike up a conversation with.

Co-workers - im not sure what you do for a living, but lots of times its co-workers that can introduce you to their friends, and the area.

Anything in particular you really enjoy doing?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,125,829 times
I'm 27 and moved to Tampa in August and am in the same boat.

I would suggest joining groups on meetup.com. They have one for every interest. I'm a member of TAG, the social club, and Let's go out.....they have activities nearly ever weekend and some week days. They are free to join and everyone is there to meet people.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:13 AM

30 posts, read 99,662 times
jessiegirl_98
Quote:
I'm a member of TAG, the social club, and Let's go out.....they have activities nearly ever weekend and some week days. They are free to join and everyone is there to meet people.
Hi,

I live south from Tampa, moved about a year ago from Brussels (Belgium) and I am not familiar with meetup groups etc. But I am interested to meet new people or join a group.
What exactly is "TAG" ?

Have a nice one,
San

Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,125,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by San72 View Post
jessiegirl_98

Hi,

I live south from Tampa, moved about a year ago from Brussels (Belgium) and I am not familiar with meetup groups etc. But I am interested to meet new people or join a group.
What exactly is "TAG" ?

Have a nice one,
San
Tag is Tampa Bay Adventure group. You can find them on the list of Tampa Bay area meetups at meetup.com. Here you can find the list for the area
Meetups near Tampa, FL - Meetup.com
Tampa Bay Adventure Group also has its own website at www.tampaadventuregroup.com

There are meetups for about everything you can imagine

Old 02-23-2008, 05:35 PM

30 posts, read 99,662 times
Thx jessiegirl_98, I definitely gonna have a look at it!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,482,025 times
Not sure how busy you are but my cousin moved her at 24, also all alone. She took up serving at Applebees and met tons of friends. She's more on the quiet side too. You can make some extra cash too, just make sure its at a fun place, and work Friday and Satruday nights..She had no experience and still got the job

Old 02-25-2008, 09:44 AM

48 posts, read 222,026 times
I'm also 25 and headed down to Tampa/St. Pete this fall. I moved to Minneapolis a few years ago and didn't know anyone either. I echo many of the thoughts already posted on here. Met most of my friends through volunteering (Big Brothers/Big Sisters has been great), sports leagues, and work. I plan on doing those same things when I move to Tampa. Good luck with everything. I'm sure you'll end up meeting some great people if you put yourself out there a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or