Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 02:10 PM

9 posts, read 20,151 times

Advertisements

We are considering taking new jobs in the Tampa area and are driving up to explore for a weekend. Where would you suggest we look? We want to look at neighborhoods for potential homes and explore things to do/shopping/activities/etc.

About us: My job would be in Lakeland and my husband's job would be in downtown Tampa. We are in our 30s with a very young baby. We have two dogs and prefer to be outdoors. We want a safe neighborhood with good schools and our house budget would be $400-600k.

My research has initially led me to the New Tampa and Fish Hawk neighborhoods. Thoughts on these? Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 02:14 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,652,999 times
New Tampa would suit your husband but for you it would be travel. I am in Wesley Chapel which has really grown as traffic.

Seven Oaks in New Tampa seems to be the place young people like to be.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:14 PM

5,933 posts, read 7,278,490 times
New Tampa would be unpleasant from a commute standpoint for both of you. Fishhawk not much better, but better, depending on where in Lakeland you need to go. It's also far more friendly from a outdoors standpoint.

You might want to consider looking in Plant City.

RM

Old 09-26-2016, 03:07 AM

76 posts, read 107,977 times
Make a list of your must have's:

Neighborhood - new / old / average income levels / city or country?
Conveniences - nearby shopping, access to highway
Commuting time - going into Tampa during rush hour means substantial delays, same on the return. Commuting to Lakeland not so much.

Between Tampa and Lakeland there are a lot of places that may suit you, take a look in Thonotosassa.

Good Luck.

Last edited by just_visiting 9; 09-26-2016 at 03:16 AM..

Old 09-27-2016, 08:32 AM

9 posts, read 20,151 times
What is Thonotosassa like? I have not seen much information on that area. What about Plant City?

Some friends have recently recommended Brandon and Wesley Chapel. These seem to be more doable commutes.

I have spoken to a realtor about neighborhoods and she seems to be suggesting neighborhoods much farther from Lakeland (South Tampa, Temple Terrace, etc.).

I feel even more lost than before as to the two or three neighborhoods to narrow our search. Any help is appreciated!

Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 AM

5,933 posts, read 7,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestInMiami View Post
What is Thonotosassa like? I have not seen much information on that area. What about Plant City?

Some friends have recently recommended Brandon and Wesley Chapel. These seem to be more doable commutes.

I have spoken to a realtor about neighborhoods and she seems to be suggesting neighborhoods much farther from Lakeland (South Tampa, Temple Terrace, etc.).

I feel even more lost than before as to the two or three neighborhoods to narrow our search. Any help is appreciated!
Plant City and Thonotosassa would be good for your commute. Both are rural areas for the most part. Plant City is a somewhat small and conservative town mostly based around agriculture, primarily strawberry farms. It's a nice place but a bit rough around the edges and somewhat inclusive. There are some higher end areas there but they are limited.

The realtor is steering you to areas they like, not you. Unless you're looking for the hipster/millennial thing with bars and small restaurants, South Tampa is not for you. Temple Terrace isn't bad, it's a nice stable enclave surrounded by some sketchy areas. It's also somewhat dated, having been developed in the 1950s and 60s. The architecture reflects this, but there are some parts that are park-like and nice, I think.

Brandon doesn't really have areas that would fit your choice of home and is hit or miss as far as upscale living spaces.

Wesley Chapel would fit your home choice, but I question the commute to Lakeland from there. The area is seriously overdeveloped and as a result traffic is difficult even on the best days. I don't know if there is a "back way" to Lakeland from there, but going down I-75 and then east on I-4 would not be fun. At all.

Again, Fishhawk would be great depending on where in Lakeland you have to drive. If it's south or west it wouldn't be bad, maybe 40 minutes and mostly rural highway.

RM

Old 10-02-2016, 05:56 AM

76 posts, read 107,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestInMiami View Post

The down & dirty is, if you want to split the commuting distance equally then you'll be in the rural area. Lots of trailer parks and country folk. There are also pockets of upper income neighborhoods as well but practically speaking you'll be 20+ minutes from food stores. The smaller and older towns like Plant City are still suffering economically with all the associated problems.

However, all things are not equal on the commute, so locate yourself closer to Tampa. The rush hour traffic is heavy but going towards Lakeland it would be much lighter, same for the evening. 30 minutes in Tampa rush hour = 10 miles covered if you're lucky, 30 minutes going to Lakeland = you have arrived!

Take one of the newly built apartments in Brandon, off Falkenburg Road and close to the Selmon Expressway. You'll have good access to Tampa and be close to stores and the coastal areas. Just rent for a year and build your own new house, property values are rapidly appreciating.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:19 AM

261 posts, read 259,415 times
I would suggest no where in Tampa Bay . Reconsider! Good access to Tampa and the coastal areas from Brandon, thats hilarious. Great advise if you want to sit in traffic for the rest of your life!
The rent in Tampa is getting more expensive faster than anywhere else in Florida, report says | Tampa Bay Times

Old 10-03-2016, 12:32 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,987,963 times
I wouldn't suggest the bay either... Yachts are expensive!

Old 10-04-2016, 05:51 AM

29 posts, read 36,116 times
Riverview area in one of the newer communities and travel the Selmon to downtown. The commute for you would be Hwy 60 or I-4 East which sometimes gets congested.

Budget wise you are good! that can buy you alot of house compared to Miami!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay