Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 33,323 times

Advertisements

our serach finally ended last week. we got a 5/4/3 in a gated meadow point community. we just fell in love with meadow point.it has best of everything...low CDDs, proximity to new malls, good roads and excellent community programs, onsite day care etc...plus pasco county so means low low taxes..

good luck in your search !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,547,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thakers View Post
our serach finally ended last week. we got a 5/4/3 in a gated meadow point community. we just fell in love with meadow point.it has best of everything...low CDDs, proximity to new malls, good roads and excellent community programs, onsite day care etc...plus pasco county so means low low taxes..

good luck in your search !
Congratulations! Which sub in Meadow Point did you buy your house? Close to where to new road is going to be extended?

Old 07-01-2008, 07:55 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,063,783 times
http://www.free-blinkies.com/blinkie-maker/img/771460001214916992.gif (broken link)

Old 07-01-2008, 07:00 PM

6 posts, read 33,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Congratulations! Which sub in Meadow Point did you buy your house? Close to where to new road is going to be extended?
thanks..
its in sheringham..is that where new road(which road) is going to be extended? can you provide more information?

Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakers View Post
thanks..
its in sheringham..is that where new road(which road) is going to be extended? can you provide more information?
I know most subs in Meadow Point but I'm not sure where this one is located. If it is one of the newer subs and in between Wrencrest and SR 54, than the new road will be in the middle and go all the way to where JC Penney is located on the Bruce B. Downs.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 AM

53 posts, read 258,733 times
Default Grand Hampton

I own a home in Grand Hampton (1/3rd of an acre) on a conservation and cannot even see my neighbors in the back as we are on a pie shaped lot. GH is more expensive but is also truly private, whereas many communities are gated but not private meaning development can encroach onto those communities. Yes, Pasco has lower taxes; however, Pasco does not have adequate police services as they are incredibally understaffed (recent article in the Tampa Tribune to confirm) and if your road has an issue, you will pay for it, not the county. Also, Pasco has the highest homeowner's insurance rates in the region due to sinkholes. In fact, the community of Wilderness Lake Preserve and Connorton were constructed on ancient artisian underground caverns. I do not have anything against Pasco, but it is different from Hills or the Tampa area. It also has had a huge spike in crime while Tampa's crime rate has fallen 27% as the crime has simply shifted locations due to a LARGE police presence in Hills County. Heritage Isles has a very high rate of rentals and Live Oak is partially zoned for Section 8. I like Seven Oaks, but would not care for the 41 lanes that are to be constructed at BBD and SR56 in the next 2 or so years (will be the 2nd largest intersection in the country, do a search to confirm). So, you really need to ask the realtor about rentals, whether the HOA is strong and talk to the people that live there to get an idea of what life is really like. GH has its fair share of issues with the housing crisis, but is nowhere near the problems most new communities are facing. Sorry for spelling errors!
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOFFITTF View Post
We decided to remove Live Oak Preserve from the list. From the listing numbers and listing prices, the whole community seems to fall apart. We don't want to catch the falling knife.

We spent the last a couple of weeks looking at Easton Park and Grand Hampton. For easton park, we can get a lot of sq ft for the money. But we dont' think the neighborhood is as nice.

For Grand Hampton, the price seems pretty high, although it's master planned. And the distance between houses seems very small. We feel like we can even shake hands with our neighbor from inside the house. :P

As someone mentioned, the future of the house market still looks not promising, at least to us. So we decided to take our time. We don't have to buy a house now.

One more question, someone told me Spring is seller's market. It's better to buy in Fall/Winter. I'm curious whether that's true and what's the rationale?

Thanks for all the input. I really learned a lot here.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristimc25 View Post
I own a home in Grand Hampton (1/3rd of an acre) on a conservation and cannot even see my neighbors in the back as we are on a pie shaped lot. GH is more expensive but is also truly private, whereas many communities are gated but not private meaning development can encroach onto those communities. Yes, Pasco has lower taxes; however, Pasco does not have adequate police services as they are incredibally understaffed (recent article in the Tampa Tribune to confirm) and if your road has an issue, you will pay for it, not the county. Also, Pasco has the highest homeowner's insurance rates in the region due to sinkholes. In fact, the community of Wilderness Lake Preserve and Connorton were constructed on ancient artisian underground caverns. I do not have anything against Pasco, but it is different from Hills or the Tampa area. It also has had a huge spike in crime while Tampa's crime rate has fallen 27% as the crime has simply shifted locations due to a LARGE police presence in Hills County. Heritage Isles has a very high rate of rentals and Live Oak is partially zoned for Section 8. I like Seven Oaks, but would not care for the 41 lanes that are to be constructed at BBD and SR56 in the next 2 or so years (will be the 2nd largest intersection in the country, do a search to confirm). So, you really need to ask the realtor about rentals, whether the HOA is strong and talk to the people that live there to get an idea of what life is really like. GH has its fair share of issues with the housing crisis, but is nowhere near the problems most new communities are facing. Sorry for spelling errors!
Kristi
I owe a couple of homes in Pasco and except for one in a gated community, Pasco county is responsible for the roads...so that is not true!
If we have to call the police they come pretty fast and since Pasco County is very stretched out it might be so in other parts of Pasco, but for sure not in Wesley Chapel....true there is vadalism, but so is it else where, if you read the local paper, the crimes aren't very high, and most reports are happening in Zephyrhills, or shoplifting on the B.B. Downs or in Zephyrhills.

Property taxes are proved to be much higher in Hillsborough County.

Grand Hampton is beautiful but just like every where else it has their housing issues and many homes are for sale. The location is great and I remember in the past having been at the builders sales offices. We didn't buy because of the high CDD and HOA fees, IMO you have a nice community nearby in Pasco with lower taxes, lower CDD and lower HOA (which comes back every year/month) and is very beautiful and the location is great. So IMO is more for less money.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:04 PM

53 posts, read 258,733 times
Default Facts

Yes, in Pasco where there is not a CDD; residents are responsible for repairing roads. There is information at your local library and government offices. If a home is located in a non deeded area, and the road is in disrepair, the county may and has in the past year, require an assessment by the people living on that street.

According to the latest crime reports, Pasco has had a sharp increase in crime as the crime in Tampa has simply moved farther north. These are simply facts, not an opinion. Because Pasco is cheaper, it has relocated some criminal elements. And cops are not as available in Pasco as they are very short handed. My father runs a police academy and I have first hand knowledge. Wesley Chapel does not have city cops and have to rely on the FHP. You can see what happen when an accident occurs North of County Line Road.

Additionally, I have spoken with the Pasco county police dept about issues with adolescents racing on BBD and 56 on Wednesday nights. They would gather at Target (100-400 teens) and race from there. I had to stop driving that area by 10 or I could be the victim of street racing. I call the police at least 3 weeks in a roll, and received the same response. "We are short handed and will try to get someone out there as soon as someone comes available." This call was placed as people were actually racing down Cypress Creek road using both lanes and traveling around 120 mph. It took the police 45 minutes to respond and the dispatcher told me that I was the 12th person calling to report it. The racing has stopped for now only because I confronted the heads at Target.

It is nothing personal. I like Wesley Chapel, but do not care for the lack of police presence and the high insurance. I do not have a stake in the county, so I am speaking from a nonbiased approach. In fact, we are leaving the New Tampa area as my husband now works in Carrollwood and we have a 2 month old. I just give facts. It is why I joined this forum to be honest with people about the facts of every area in Tampa and the region. I teach college students, so it is important to me to pass on correct info and when I am wrong, I am the first to admit that I was wrong. Also, my husband worked in WC and Port Richey for a couple of years, so we have a different perspective.

Kristi (Criminologist in case you were wondering why I know some of this stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I owe a couple of homes in Pasco and except for one in a gated community, Pasco county is responsible for the roads...so that is not true!
If we have to call the police they come pretty fast and since Pasco County is very stretched out it might be so in other parts of Pasco, but for sure not in Wesley Chapel....true there is vadalism, but so is it else where, if you read the local paper, the crimes aren't very high, and most reports are happening in Zephyrhills, or shoplifting on the B.B. Downs or in Zephyrhills.

Property taxes are proved to be much higher in Hillsborough County.

Grand Hampton is beautiful but just like every where else it has their housing issues and many homes are for sale. The location is great and I remember in the past having been at the builders sales offices. We didn't buy because of the high CDD and HOA fees, IMO you have a nice community nearby in Pasco with lower taxes, lower CDD and lower HOA (which comes back every year/month) and is very beautiful and the location is great. So IMO is more for less money.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristimc25 View Post
Yes, in Pasco where there is not a CDD; residents are responsible for repairing roads. There is information at your local library and government offices. If a home is located in a non deeded area, and the road is in disrepair, the county may and has in the past year, require an assessment by the people living on that street.

According to the latest crime reports, Pasco has had a sharp increase in crime as the crime in Tampa has simply moved farther north. These are simply facts, not an opinion. Because Pasco is cheaper, it has relocated some criminal elements. And cops are not as available in Pasco as they are very short handed. My father runs a police academy and I have first hand knowledge. Wesley Chapel does not have city cops and have to rely on the FHP. You can see what happen when an accident occurs North of County Line Road.

Additionally, I have spoken with the Pasco county police dept about issues with adolescents racing on BBD and 56 on Wednesday nights. They would gather at Target (100-400 teens) and race from there. I had to stop driving that area by 10 or I could be the victim of street racing. I call the police at least 3 weeks in a roll, and received the same response. "We are short handed and will try to get someone out there as soon as someone comes available." This call was placed as people were actually racing down Cypress Creek road using both lanes and traveling around 120 mph. It took the police 45 minutes to respond and the dispatcher told me that I was the 12th person calling to report it. The racing has stopped for now only because I confronted the heads at Target.

It is nothing personal. I like Wesley Chapel, but do not care for the lack of police presence and the high insurance. I do not have a stake in the county, so I am speaking from a nonbiased approach. In fact, we are leaving the New Tampa area as my husband now works in Carrollwood and we have a 2 month old. I just give facts. It is why I joined this forum to be honest with people about the facts of every area in Tampa and the region. I teach college students, so it is important to me to pass on correct info and when I am wrong, I am the first to admit that I was wrong. Also, my husband worked in WC and Port Richey for a couple of years, so we have a different perspective.

Kristi (Criminologist in case you were wondering why I know some of this stuff)
At HOA meetings I have heard that only gated CDD communties are responsible for road repairs, light poles, etc...
If a community only has a HOA or isn't gated than Pasco County is responsible for the roads. I'm not sure about Hillsborough County but assume that will be the same since some volunteers who moved from Hillsborough County have told me this.
So as far as I know the people living in Grand Hampton are responsible for the road repairs.

As far as the racing is concerned...this is very bad and I hope something wil be done about that...I never read about or heard about it other than Hogans son was involved in that terrible crash and it should be a warning to others that people can end up in jail and others life can be in danger.

Every where that crime is, is horrible and I feel for the police officers who have to deal with these scumbags, although it is their job, but neither home owners or police officers should have deal with it so much...if parents just would look after their kids and show a little bit more responsibility that could change a lot for the future...because it start at a young age when the kids are wandering the street because they are so bored and not looked after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay