Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 AM

8 posts, read 25,617 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to the St Petersburg area and have read alot of the threads in this site. Alot of people are saying to stay away from south St Pete. Where exactly does south St Pete begin and end? What area is considered "downtown"? I am a 35 yr old single male with no children and would like to be around other singles. Can anyone give me actual names of nice apartment complexes with one bedrooms in the 700-900 dollar a month range? Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:16 AM

944 posts, read 3,847,814 times
The Old NE is awesome, but you'll have to be careful. Downtown is mostly great by day, can be sketchy at night. Typically Central Ave. is the dividing line, but I'd say 5th Ave S. is for sure the start of South St. Pete. It really depends on where you are east-west wise. Check this, Papa John's has redlined a whole section of St. Pete and won't deliver there.

You'll have no problem finding an apartment in that price range. I don't have specific names, sorry. I've found all of my rentals on craigslist or by driving around. You can get some sweet rental deals now, but be careful and avoid renting from an upside down owner.

One last thing, if I were a single male, I'd live in St. Pete Beach or Clearwater Beach. I don't know if you like to party, but that would be my preference. There are a few complexes in the Gateway area that function like adult frat houses; I've heard some crazy stories about community pool parties and whatnot. Some of the Bucs keep rentals there just for partying on the weekends.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:56 AM

8 posts, read 25,617 times
Thanks Muggy...

Old 06-10-2008, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 65,465 times
The south side starts at Central avenue. if your looking to avoid the hood, stay away from 18th avenue south and 34th st south.

also, even on the north side, there is a lot of Asian Gangs. Parkside(a type of plaza) on Fridays is full of Asian gangs. their is constantly bad neighborhoods and even on the North Side, there is drug dealers who relocate to the North side, attract people, and still do their business.

but if you mind your buisness, youll be fine, and since you have no kids, no problem.

Last edited by St.Pete727; 06-10-2008 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 08:56 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Pete727 View Post
The south side starts at Central avenue. if your looking to avoid the hood, stay away from 18th avenue south and 34th st south.

also, even on the north side, there is a lot of Asian Gangs. Parkside(a type of plaza) on Fridays is full of Asian gangs. their is constantly bad neighborhoods and even on the North Side, there is drug dealers who relocate to the North side, attract people, and still do their business.

but if you mind your buisness, youll be fine, and since you have no kids, no problem.
Man, I remember some of those gang kids growing up in the Asian communities there and I couldn't believe their parents allowed them to be like that. What a bunch of dumb people to come to this country just to let your kids and your grandkids erase any good you might have gotten from a free society. I even had a few friends from high school that were just lazy kids and their parents babied them constantly. They grow up to be a part of this entitlement society where they think things should be given to them for free or taken by force. It's all so senseless.

Well, back ontrack. Mainly anything around Haines Road in the northern central area of St. Pete is pretty bad, but St. Pete bad is nowhere near Miami bad. If you think your area is bad, please driver through Miami's Liberty City and Overtown area and feel better about your slum.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 PM

38 posts, read 163,449 times
Where do the while-collar professionals live in St. Pete? I'm not talking about the wealthy. More like CPAs, dentists, engineers and such. Frankly, most of what I've seen of St. Pete seems rundown and scary. Surely there must be neighborhoods that are both safe and clean without costing upwards of half a million.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:02 PM

90 posts, read 352,982 times
I'm going to look at a house for rent on Delaware Ave NE. I'm clueless...is that a good area or a bad one? Help, I'm askeert now!

Old 06-11-2008, 05:50 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoDiva View Post
I'm going to look at a house for rent on Delaware Ave NE. I'm clueless...is that a good area or a bad one? Help, I'm askeert now!
EXCELLENT area, nice...shore acres, northeast st pete. Its good that you are renting so you can check out the areas, but its a very desirable location.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 AM

381 posts, read 1,685,736 times
Shore Acres is a wonderful area (I live here), but it's a major flood zone and first level evacuation zone. Even when the tide is high and there's no storm, sometimes we get minor street flooding.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:10 AM

38 posts, read 163,449 times
Can someone suggest a "desirable area" that does not flood regularly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay