Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 08:29 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ce-102016.html

Pinellas County voted to take the cameras down.

Hillsborough County voted to keep them. Hopefully nobody was doing as the article is saying happened as that is very bad.

From my experience in Europe the safety due to cameras is not really what was the result. Only the public paying more to pay for the shortage the local governments had so it was a nice milk cow for the government.

Over there the cameras not only check on red light but at the same time check on speed as many speed up to make the yellow/orange light.

The amount of accidents due to cameras is also up due some drivers breaking all of a sudden to avoid a ticket. Therefore this type of accidents went up tremendously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ce-102016.html

Pinellas County voted to take the cameras down.

Hillsborough County voted to keep them. Hopefully nobody was doing as the article is saying happened as that is very bad.

From my experience in Europe the safety due to cameras is not really what was the result. Only the public paying more to pay for the shortage the local governments had so it was a nice milk cow for the government.

Over there the cameras not only check on red light but at the same time check on speed as many speed up to make the yellow/orange light.

The amount of accidents due to cameras is also up due some drivers breaking all of a sudden to avoid a ticket. Therefore this type of accidents went up tremendously.
Ive seen many more t-bone accidents at intersections than rear end collisions at intersections.

Just because on corrupt business person created a fraudulent situation it does not dismiss the usefulness of red light and/or speed monitoring devices. The laws governing our roadways are there for a purpose, to wit: to identify and fine law breaking drivers who's actions put everyone else, driver and pedestrian in harms way.

Yes, of course the system generates money flow to the jurisdictions they are used it but it is cheaper than posting police officers at intersections dressed as homeless people, utility workers, etc. and does not take those police officers from doing their primary functions.

I feel those who are against red light cameras or any type of law enforcement of the roadways are the first to commit infractions and/or would be the first to launch lawsuits when someone in their family has the body of a family member extracted from a crushed vehicle with the Jaws of Life.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:12 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times
These cameras cause more accidents than they prevent I have seen it first hand in NYC. It has nothing to do with safety. Its all about generating revenue. Still there are less cameras here than LI and NYC. It seemed like they were at every high volume intersection there was. Look at NYC now they have speed cameras. Its a big brother society.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:29 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
They were proven to cause more accidents, thus why Pinellas voted to take them down. Bob Buckhorn must be getting a very nice paycheck from them, as he was caught flubbing the numbers. Luckily we can send the revenue from the cameras to Arizona and ensure that Tampa never sees it!

Crashes have increased at red light camera intersections - Story | FOX 13 Tampa Bay
Crashes up 39% at intersections in Tampa with red-light cameras since 2010 | TBO.com

Old 10-24-2016, 07:18 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
These cameras cause more accidents than they prevent I have seen it first hand in NYC. It has nothing to do with safety. Its all about generating revenue. Still there are less cameras here than LI and NYC. It seemed like they were at every high volume intersection there was. Look at NYC now they have speed cameras. Its a big brother society.
Same here. They put them into Philadelphia about 5-6 years before I moved down here. They caused the most dangerous intersections in the city to see an increase in the number of traffic accidents.

In my area, they have them over in Brooksville but if you go to court the judge will dismiss the case.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:41 AM

28 posts, read 31,163 times
Cameras are everywhere anyway. Just look at NYC as only one example. In Times Square alone there must be 200 of them, Cameras now in car, police car and on uniform. Camera even in car to backup..ha !

Old 10-25-2016, 04:05 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Pasco still has them.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
So the reverse position is people should be allowed to run red lights or stop signs with no accountability for their actions? Traffic lights by their very nature could potentially turn red so drive prepared for that possibility.

Last edited by jambo101; 10-25-2016 at 05:28 AM..

Old 10-25-2016, 07:31 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Ive seen many more t-bone accidents at intersections than rear end collisions at intersections.

Just because on corrupt business person created a fraudulent situation it does not dismiss the usefulness of red light and/or speed monitoring devices. The laws governing our roadways are there for a purpose, to wit: to identify and fine law breaking drivers who's actions put everyone else, driver and pedestrian in harms way.

Yes, of course the system generates money flow to the jurisdictions they are used it but it is cheaper than posting police officers at intersections dressed as homeless people, utility workers, etc. and does not take those police officers from doing their primary functions.

I feel those who are against red light cameras or any type of law enforcement of the roadways are the first to commit infractions and/or would be the first to launch lawsuits when someone in their family has the body of a family member extracted from a crushed vehicle with the Jaws of Life.
You are so right and you are not seeing them due to most Counties don't have the cameras. Very good observation! but if cameras would be installed than these rear end collisions will triple or even more.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:31 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So the reverse position is people should be allowed to run red lights or stop signs with no accountability for their actions? Traffic lights by their very nature could potentially turn red so drive prepared for that possibility.
Just as any driver should be held accountable for their action in any driving situation, there is no process in place to catch someone everywhere they drive. That is, there aren't law enforcement officers on every inch of roadway looking for infractions.

While the concept of red light cameras is understandable, the actual execution has shown in any number of ways that not only do they not decrease the number of accidents, they have become a revenue generating resource that politicians don't want to let go of.

Much like property seizures have become a budget item for many municipalities, red light cameras are increasingly considered a revenue stream rather than a safety issue.

I live near one of the intersections where there is a red light camera, and I can assure you that I have my foot firmly positioned over the brake pedal when I begin to move through the intersection. I'll jam on it at the last second to avoid that $150+ ticket, believe me.

I think it's important to understand that in many municipalities, Hillsborough County being one of them, that the system was initially "gamed" to catch people by having yellow lights that were too short or below the state mandated time to allow the intersections to properly clear. This is just another indicator that safety wasn't the intent of these cameras, rather it was to generate revenue.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: