Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:40 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
I think a new international route is welcome. However, am not sure how the new routes are being chosen.

I wonder how much fees TIA is waving to attract the Iceland and Dublin route.

I know TIA waived approx $1.5million in revenue with Lufthansa to kick-start the TPA - FRA route. I don't agree with incentives for airlines but again, am not sure how these decisions are being made.

Again, I think the $154 million this is bogus number - You spend $1.5 Million and you get $154 million in annual economic output - Why not, spend several million dollars and get a Billion dollar in annual economic output ??
Does make you wonder. I believe they also had to waive money for the Zurich route. Obviously Tampa isn't at the point where they can attract these routes without providing incentives to the airlines, so Tampa isn't as big-time as some here like to claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 09:41 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Nope, sorry, settling for the status quo is not my cup of tea.

"There is no passion to be found playing small, in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela

Three cheers for Dublin!
What makes Ireland a better destination than Iceland?

Old 10-27-2016, 05:37 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
While your admiration for Iceland is, well, interesting, that nation does not receive anywhere near the number of visitors that Ireland (or the UK for that matter) does.

In fact, while the UK consistently draws many tens of millions of tourists every year, Iceland draws exactly 1/8 of that.
With this new route it's all about to change for the better for Iceland

Old 10-27-2016, 06:23 AM

28 posts, read 31,212 times
Tampa airport is very good, not perfect. All should be thankful because all are lucky to live in wonderful place and nation

Old 10-27-2016, 09:37 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What makes Ireland a better destination than Iceland?
Iceland has a lot of ice. Ireland has a lot of beer (practically a better destination).

Old 10-27-2016, 11:03 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Does make you wonder. I believe they also had to waive money for the Zurich route. Obviously Tampa isn't at the point where they can attract these routes without providing incentives to the airlines, so Tampa isn't as big-time as some here like to claim.
Well, it depends.

I read somewhere that the Frankfurt and Zurich routes are running at about 80 - 85% load meaning airline is able to fill-in between 80-85% of the seats(don't know the break down as in first class vs economy etc) but this tells me that the route is profitable so there wasn't a need to provide incentives to begin with. perhaps, a lot of market data and sales pitch might have been sufficient but then, as i said earlier, am not sure how these discussions are being done behind the doors!!!

I just read that Emirates is flying non-stop from Ft. Lauderdale to Dubai starting Dec 2016 since they seen a strong market but most of it has to do with Jet Blue presence and they have a tie up with Emirates.

Am sure if Jet Blue could increase their presence in the Tampa market then, international flights will start on their own..

Old 10-27-2016, 11:16 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Well, it depends.

I read somewhere that the Frankfurt and Zurich routes are running at about 80 - 85% load meaning airline is able to fill-in between 80-85% of the seats(don't know the break down as in first class vs economy etc) but this tells me that the route is profitable so there wasn't a need to provide incentives to begin with. perhaps, a lot of market data and sales pitch might have been sufficient but then, as i said earlier, am not sure how these discussions are being done behind the doors!!!

I just read that Emirates is flying non-stop from Ft. Lauderdale to Dubai starting Dec 2016 since they seen a strong market but most of it has to do with Jet Blue presence and they have a tie up with Emirates.

Am sure if Jet Blue could increase their presence in the Tampa market then, international flights will start on their own..
I flew the Zurich route quite a bit when I lived in Tampa. It was always full, I would say 90 percent at least on the flights I was on. And they have only increased the frequency of the Zurich route since it started. I agree that there was no need to provide incentives in the first place, but this was back when TPA only had the London route on British Airways. They had to prove that the numbers would be just as good as when the route was in Orlando. Now, other airlines are seeing the success of TPA-Zurich, thus we now have non-stops to Frankfurt and next year Iceland.

I do not see JetBlue increasing their presence in Tampa. They already have hubs in Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale, which as you mentioned was why Emirates chose FLL.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:17 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Iceland has a lot of ice. Ireland has a lot of beer (practically a better destination).
Reykjavik is definitely the hotter place to visit these days. Also, both are served by lackluster national airlines, and are a shorter flight from the US than the rest of Europe. Can't go wrong with either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay