U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 04:04 PM

8 posts, read 4,096 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are relocating from a very boring,cold, drug infested,sad,sunless, town in NE Ohio to Tampa area and are looking to find neighborhoods with modern apartments in safe neighborhoods with good opportunities for jobs. Although the original goal was Ft. Lauderdale due to having family there, the housing prices are highly out of our price range and we plan to buy soon with a budget of 250k. We are open to surrounding areas of Tampa as well and will not be moving until jobs are secure. Price range for apartments is up to $1100 its just the two of us and a pet. I have found many apartments online so I guess what I am truly seeking is safe, youthful,job opportunity areas to live in. Where are the jobs ppl? Where do we need to look for houses, or avoid if thats allowed on here? We are both graduates of business/nonprofit and psychology/finance if that helps regarding jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 08:40 PM

208 posts, read 130,731 times
Hello!

We relocated about 3 months ago to the area, and are still discovering it. I would definetely suggest you secure jobs before coming, at least one of you. An interstate move is expensive, and you'll need also a good amount of savings. We saved for about a year before the move. I suggest looking on Indeed or job search sites to find out what career opportunities are out there for you. We took a trip down here first a few months before moving to scout the area, and see the neighborhoods we liked, and those we did not. I recommend doing that if you are able to. We visited St Petersburg, Clearwater, Tampa, Town and Country, Carrollwood, Lutz, Brandon, Riverview, Apollo Beach, and Sarasota, and saw over a 25 apartments on our visit. We ended up getting our top pick, an apartment in a beautiful complex in Lutz. We love where we are. Home wise, you'll definetely find something in that budget. We love the Carrollwood/Lutz area, which is mostly suburby, and even country (some parts of Lutz). As for youthful, to us, Tampa/St Pete area as tons of young people all over. We are in our early and mid 30s, and in both our workplaces, have met tons of 20 and 30 somethings. Good luck with everything!

Old 11-03-2016, 12:38 AM

111 posts, read 84,138 times
Visiting is a good idea. My relatives (I'm a native ) are from Orlando but have settled around Lutz. It's a nice, little suburb mixed with country/somewhat rural. It's a good mixture, away from the city but also not far from it. I think I would cross out Town N Country, which is an old suburb, in Tampa. There has been some development (gas stations, apartments and condos). More traffic, crowded. Has had a lot of property crime in the passed year. Either way, a home security system can be a nice friend. The areas I would think about are off of Memorial, which has traffic, but also somewhat tucked away from the surrounding areas. I consider them pocket areas. Around Westchase is good also. Carrollwood is also another area. Not to mention Oldsmar area up to Palm Harbor.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:56 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,834,357 times
None of these places listed really cross off the "young family" vibe. Lutz, especially.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:19 AM

164 posts, read 225,520 times
This has been my experience:

Tampa isn't really a great place for younger adults. Every job I've had I've always been the youngest by 15-30 years and typically not seen many other youngsters. Most people have families and kids, etc - which is expected given their older age. Jobs in my field are very limited in terms of salary and opportunities.

I'm not knocking the town, but again I don't think it's a great place for younger adults.

To answer your question: Try South Tampa.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:30 AM

163 posts, read 134,139 times
I would see where you end up job-wise and then settle on a place to live. If you're just looking for an apartment, they are a dime a dozen, and you won't have a hard time finding one once you figure out what area you'll be working in. There are pockets of employers in different places across the Bay Area, so you wouldn't want to sign a lease in Lutz only to find out you'll be working in Clearwater or St. Pete. We chose St. Pete because it's really great for young professionals and is closer to my husband's job than South Tampa. His commute is about 20-25 minutes each way and would be 45 minutes to 1.5 hours if we lived in South Tampa.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
None of these places listed really cross off the "young family" vibe. Lutz, especially.
They are for "some" people.

Otherwise:
South Tampa
Seminole Heights
Or St. Pete

Old 11-03-2016, 06:01 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,834,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmsmb View Post
They are for "some" people.

Otherwise:
South Tampa
Seminole Heights
Or St. Pete
I guess if you're 60+, then everybody is a "young family."

That said, I do agree with South Tampa. I feel as though Seminole Heights, for as much as I love the area, will disappoint you greatly.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:36 AM

There are many people who move here every day and they will live where they want to live. Young adults vs young families. Young adults can be those without having a family yet.

South Tampa, Seminole Heights can be for some. It is considered "young adult." When those young adults have a family, they usually move to the above areas that have been mentioned by a few; or they stay where they move to. They move to where they consider a "young family" area.

Seminole Heights will be greatly disappointing as it has growth and being close to a developing downtown. I will say that if moving to Town 'n Country would be disappointing for some. But there are people moving to areas within it. But because I'm in my late 20s myself, I may not want to move there even though I grew up there. Because I'm gay doesn't mean I want to live in Ybor. There are areas where a "young family" will move to. Someone in their neighborhood may be 60.

Last edited by tbmsmb; 11-04-2016 at 12:14 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 11:47 PM

80 posts, read 57,289 times
If beachs and water stuff is your thing choose something in pinellas county, if sporting events, concerts (except rays) are your thing choose tampa, but of course live as near to your place of employmen as possible, commutes are he'll in this area during rush hour or if there's a event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay