Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 AM

4 posts, read 8,435 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are moving to Tampa from Orlando. We will be staying with family in Tampa while we search for jobs and an apartment. We are moving because I have been laid off my job. So we want to start searching for apartments and jobs now so we don't have to stay with family too long.

Now I've visited Tampa and St. Pete before but I have no clue about where to live. Reading this forum I hear NE is good S is bad. Can anyone give me any advice on how I can begin my apartment search so I don't end up in a bad area? We can afford to spend around 700-800 for a 1br/1ba.

Any advice or words of wisdom you can give are appreciated. I will keep reading through this forum.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by TampaBound1; 02-26-2008 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM

46 posts, read 100,370 times
Hey TampaBound, I will also be moving from Orlando To Tampa in a week or two. I will be driving over on Sunday and/or Tuesday to check out the area and find an apartment. It hard to say because I dont know the area to well. But from what I understand NE St. Pete. and S. Tampa are good locations. I also need to be in the 600-800 range. Good luck on your search.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 PM

849 posts, read 3,527,969 times
Unhappy not on your budget

unless you can manage a studio. Even the OP doesn't have budget for more than a 1 br in those areas and that's a stretch. It won't be fabulous. Sorry
Both of you, try the area of St. Pete just around the Gandy bridge. it will be an ok area and very central while you're trying to get settled. Not a horrible commute to Tampa. What do y'all do?
The location thing is easy because St. Pete is a grid. Stay NORTH of Central Ave. The Streets run N-S and say which direction they are. Avenues are E-W. there are pockets running East/West, nothing as bad as South but if you pick up an Apartment Guide or Apartments For rent, one of those, you'll get an idea of areas. Don't assume that if they're old they're bad. We live in a complex from the 70's and it's find. Very solid, renovated, well maintained, good neighbors. Prices start at 775 for a 1 br that's large and well laid out. A full queen set fits in the br which is on the small side but great living space. Good storage. Pool, fitness room, public trans. close to malls and only 10 min from the beach. We go to Tampa a lot and it's not too bad because it's a straight shot on the avenue to I-275 and then up to the Gandy or "Frankenstein" depending which part of Tampa you're headed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlxin View Post
Hey TampaBound, I will also be moving from Orlando To Tampa in a week or two. I will be driving over on Sunday and/or Tuesday to check out the area and find an apartment. It hard to say because I dont know the area to well. But from what I understand NE St. Pete. and S. Tampa are good locations. I also need to be in the 600-800 range. Good luck on your search.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
unless you can manage a studio. Even the OP doesn't have budget for more than a 1 br in those areas and that's a stretch. It won't be fabulous. Sorry
Both of you, try the area of St. Pete just around the Gandy bridge. it will be an ok area and very central while you're trying to get settled. Not a horrible commute to Tampa. What do y'all do?
The location thing is easy because St. Pete is a grid. Stay NORTH of Central Ave. The Streets run N-S and say which direction they are. Avenues are E-W. there are pockets running East/West, nothing as bad as South but if you pick up an Apartment Guide or Apartments For rent, one of those, you'll get an idea of areas. Don't assume that if they're old they're bad. We live in a complex from the 70's and it's find. Very solid, renovated, well maintained, good neighbors. Prices start at 775 for a 1 br that's large and well laid out. A full queen set fits in the br which is on the small side but great living space. Good storage. Pool, fitness room, public trans. close to malls and only 10 min from the beach. We go to Tampa a lot and it's not too bad because it's a straight shot on the avenue to I-275 and then up to the Gandy or "Frankenstein" depending which part of Tampa you're headed to.
Thanks for the reply. Thats kinda disheartening that I won't be able to find much decent for 800 and under but we only need a 1 br. I have a BS degree in Business and I was an analyst for utilities company. I also have no clue where the majority of jobs are so that is another reason why I want more info where I choose to move to. I want to be closer to areas that I might be more likely to find a job.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can answer that might help give me some advice. I do thank you for your advice though. I will definitely check out the st. pete area in the mean time.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:52 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBound1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Thats kinda disheartening that I won't be able to find much decent for 800 and under but we only need a 1 br. I have a BS degree in Business and I was an analyst for utilities company. I also have no clue where the majority of jobs are so that is another reason why I want more info where I choose to move to. I want to be closer to areas that I might be more likely to find a job.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can answer that might help give me some advice. I do thank you for your advice though. I will definitely check out the st. pete area in the mean time.
Sweetie,

Don't be disheartened. I live in SoHo off of Bayshore (argueably one of the trendiest neighborhoods in the bay) and my complex is new, clean, with a gorgeous courtyard and swimming pool! Guess how much I pay for a 900 sq ft two bedroom?

$975

A one bedroom in my complex?

$725

One bedrooms in "private buildings" down the road?

$650

Old 02-27-2008, 04:00 PM

127 posts, read 427,434 times
Agree with the above poster - you can esaily find a decent 1br in a nice part of S Tampa for $800

Old 02-27-2008, 05:02 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Yes, check out Craigslist.com, tbo.com, or even a realtor that specializes in rentals, $800 is doable for a one bedroom in South Tampa areas like SOHO and Hyde Park.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:26 PM

849 posts, read 3,527,969 times
Default Really??

Then prices have fallen since last Summer or we were being discriminated against. We were told 975 for a 1 br. in a complex in SOHO. It wasn't new. It was renovated, have a courtyard and a Pool right on Howard Ave. If it's the same place, we were quoted over 1K for 2 br. does maturity = $$$$ in that area and is that legal. No to the first question I guess and not to the second. The private buildings??? at least that much. WE were offered a converted gaarge, one tiny 1 br. for $850. The only thing we found for 750 was right near the air base and garbage. Just great! one more strike against Tampa in our eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Sweetie,

Don't be disheartened. I live in SoHo off of Bayshore (argueably one of the trendiest neighborhoods in the bay) and my complex is new, clean, with a gorgeous courtyard and swimming pool! Guess how much I pay for a 900 sq ft two bedroom?

$975

A one bedroom in my complex?

$725

One bedrooms in "private buildings" down the road?

$650

Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Ok so what you are telling me is that I should just check SoHo out for myself since there are conflicting opinions??

Old 02-27-2008, 05:42 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Well you know 'opinions' we all have them

I would check out the locations and see what appeals to you and GF. Your family might also know of other options that would work for you both. I think you have gotten several good opinions here on places and prices. If one place interest you and you want the name of a place, ask the poster either here or use DM.

Since you don't know where you will be working yet, it makes recommending an exact location difficult. I know traffic in Orlando is bad, but it isn't great in Tampa either during rush hour.

The folks here are really good about helping folks so if you have more questions... ask away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: