Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:21 PM

29 posts, read 31,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post
I will check out Mustang Flea Market.

Do you mean that you grow 20 tropical trees?

Tell me more :-)
You can find sweet sop, sour sop (may be), sapopilla, mango, etc. there, probably jack fruit tree too. Also star fruit, star apple trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 10:12 AM

269 posts, read 607,466 times
What do you grow?

Please share some photos of your trees :-)

I dont have a garden yet. i am very curious what will grow in the Tampa area and how it will look

Old 12-03-2016, 06:15 PM

828 posts, read 691,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post
I will check out Mustang Flea Market.

Do you mean that you grow 20 tropical trees?

Tell me more :-)
Yes, I have 20 fruit trees, most of them tropical, in my yard in St Petersburg.

Soursop, my favorite fruit,
Jackfruit,
Banana, 3 types
Sugar Apple,
Papaya,
Kafir Lime,
Mango, 3 types
Lychee, 2 types
Guava, 2 types
Orange,
Lemon,
Coconut,
Thai baby eggplant (technically a vegetable but grows on a tree)
Dragon Fruit

Old 12-03-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logane View Post
You can find sweet sop, sour sop (may be), sapopilla, mango, etc. there, probably jack fruit tree too. Also star fruit, star apple trees.
Yeah Mustang Flee Market is one of Pinellas Counties best kept secrets

Old 12-10-2016, 06:45 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Yes, I have 20 fruit trees, most of them tropical, in my yard in St Petersburg.

Soursop, my favorite fruit,
Jackfruit,
Banana, 3 types
Sugar Apple,
Papaya,
Kafir Lime,
Mango, 3 types
Lychee, 2 types
Guava, 2 types
Orange,
Lemon,
Coconut,
Thai baby eggplant (technically a vegetable but grows on a tree)
Dragon Fruit
I heard that you have to be farther south, down by Punta Gorda or lower to grow tropical trees, but obviously that isn't true. We stopped by a friend's house in the Tampa area, and they had jackfruit trees and other tropical fruit trees in their back yard, on a city lot. Their neighbor had a mango tree that was huge, about 40 feet tall.

Growing tropical fruit trees is one of our dreams. But we would need enough land and the lack of HOA restrictions to allow growing tropical fruit trees. How many years did it take before serious fruiting occurred?

Old 12-11-2016, 10:40 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I heard that you have to be farther south, down by Punta Gorda or lower to grow tropical trees, but obviously that isn't true. We stopped by a friend's house in the Tampa area, and they had jackfruit trees and other tropical fruit trees in their back yard, on a city lot. Their neighbor had a mango tree that was huge, about 40 feet tall.

Growing tropical fruit trees is one of our dreams. But we would need enough land and the lack of HOA restrictions to allow growing tropical fruit trees. How many years did it take before serious fruiting occurred?
Coconut palms are growing 30 miles more to the north since 1981 since we have warmed up so much since 1990. Within 30 years they will be growing in Dixie county as the planet will see a rapid warm up. We just don't have winters anymore. We used to get super freezes back in the 80's that would kill them every other winter, but since 1990 that never happens anymore.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:42 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
There were 4 major freezes in FL in the in the 1980's. Before that freezes were pretty far apart since 1934.

Major freezes happened in 1835, 1894, 1895, 1899, 1934, 1940, 1957, 1962, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1985 and 1989.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:41 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
1984 was also cold , then we had a colder winter in 1995-96 and then in 2010. Since 2010 it has really warmed up at a much faster rate than anyone would have dreamed of.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:01 PM

472 posts, read 547,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

I started a few tropical fruit trees since we move here past 4-5 yrs:

- house had a logan tree that only yielded fruits in one year out of the four that we've lived here
- planted two sugar apple trees about two years ago and one yielded about 12 fruits last year, the other one is slow and got nada
- Only one fruit from our dragon fruit tree planted two years ago
- Added two guava tree a year ago (white and pink fruit) and got one fruit, both are still too small and seem prone to disease
- Papaya is growing like gangbuster and had so many fruits it tilted the tree almost fallen over - this seems to be the easiest one to grow and grow fast
- Sapodilla is slow growing and no fruit after two years and is still small in size
- 3 bushes of lime that yielded way more than what we can use
- two mango trees past 1.5 yrs that is getting big but no fruit yet -- our neighbor has a big mature one that has tons of mangoes and they're cutting it down next year because it was causing pest issues since they don't eat them

Old 12-18-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I started a few tropical fruit trees since we move here past 4-5 yrs:

- house had a logan tree that only yielded fruits in one year out of the four that we've lived here
- planted two sugar apple trees about two years ago and one yielded about 12 fruits last year, the other one is slow and got nada
- Only one fruit from our dragon fruit tree planted two years ago
- Added two guava tree a year ago (white and pink fruit) and got one fruit, both are still too small and seem prone to disease
- Papaya is growing like gangbuster and had so many fruits it tilted the tree almost fallen over - this seems to be the easiest one to grow and grow fast
- Sapodilla is slow growing and no fruit after two years and is still small in size
- 3 bushes of lime that yielded way more than what we can use
- two mango trees past 1.5 yrs that is getting big but no fruit yet -- our neighbor has a big mature one that has tons of mangoes and they're cutting it down next year because it was causing pest issues since they don't eat them
Not eating fresh mangoes from the tree in your yard? That is a shame. A shame to waste the mangoes and a shame to cut it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay