Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 13,806 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I currently live in Port St. Lucie,FL. and have for a few years. I was raised in West Palm and lived in Orlando. I'm a single 37 yr. old male looking for a city to live in for four nights a week. The other three will be spent working in the Lucie. Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce area doesn't have the culture or type of people I'm drawn to. Tampa or St. Pete seems like a good option. It would be a 3 hour drive twice a week. I figured I'd explore the area and hopefully meet some artistic or culturally-minded people. It would be about a six-month adventure which I'd extend if I made many friends or found a lovely single girl.

I know the Tampa film festival is currently happening, but is it HAPPENING? I want to write a screenplay and make a film this year. Do you feel Tampa or St. Pete would be a good place to meet fellow filmmakers or people who might want to assist on an independent production? Would you recommend Hyde Park/South Tampa area over St. Pete? I can't spend over $700 a month for rent. I may get a part-time job somewhere, but probably won't have to deal with many rush hour commutes so location for work isn't an issue. I'm not sure which city I should lean into or if I should just stand straight and endure further yawns of the Treasure Coast and its lackluster inhabitants. Hopefully I'll be persuaded by your helpful comments.

Thanks and take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Regarding the Film Industry in the Tampa Bay area, I would contact the Tampa Bay Film Commission which is VERY strong for this area..

Tampa Bay Vacations, Tampa Hotels & Attractions : Tampa Bay & Company

Tampa has many Film Festivals and Events throughout the Year(currently Gasparilla Film Festival - 81 films, very happening according to ticket sales, sponsors, and the number of outside people coming to town to review the 20 films that have local ties, next month is the Tampa Jewish Film Festival, and Tampa is also home to the third largest Gay and Lesbian Film Festival(called Clip Festival), there is a large network that many do not know exist about the local film industry. ALot of local small theaters show screenings of local film, one place in Ybor City , International Bazaar, even has a local film night for local screenwriters, directors, etc. to showcase their work.

Check this site for some contacts: Tampa Film Fan
She list's all the film events in the Bay area and also contacts

Also this site for Artists and Cultural - CreativeTampaBay.com

Regarding $700/month, look at Craigslist.com, tbo.com, local realtor sopecializing in rentals, or just asking around the people you meet. There are provately owned studio's and one bedrooms in the South Tampa area you may be able to find.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 13,806 times
Tampaguy, thank you very much for taking the time to reply and for the great info. and links.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
I work with the Sarasota Film Festival, one of the top ten in the United States. We had our press party kick-off last night on Longboat Key and if you really want to get involved in the culture of film, this is the festival to get with...go to either bradentonherald.com and/or sarasotaherald.com (click on "entertainment" and you will get a brief synopsis of what we have going this year. William H. Macy has joined forces with our film festival and well, you can read the rest at either of those newspapers. From what I heard at the party last night , if you're in Florida, this is the festival to be involved with....Sarasota will be adding the Waldorf Astoria to our list of fine accomodations even though we just welcomed the Ritz Carlton a few years back....Not sure if it works with your St. Lucie gig, but it's worth a look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay