Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 05:43 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times

Advertisements

I've noticed some posters mentioning kayaking. I love to kayak but have only done it in the waters around Hilton Head Island, Dominican Republic, Canada, etc.
Where do people go to kayak around the Tampa Bay area? Is anywhere safe or are there specific areas? I think I've read people kayak to certain small islands? Anyone have experience with this, know the names of the islands or havepics to share?!

Also- I apologize in advance for my ignorance- but is it safe in the rivers or do people stick to ocean waters? I think I've read too much about the alligators on this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 05:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
You can Kayak from Dunnedin to Caladesi island or along the shore line. There are many little spoil islands around there too, that aren't on the gulf side. No alligators, but there are big boats!!!

Some ppl kayak in Rocky Creek, off hillsbourgh Ave and Memorial . There are manatee in there during certain times of year.

Also some ppl kayak down the Hillsboro river, even though there are alligators in parts of the river, I don't recall anyone ever having a problem with them. On a nice day there are usually lots of boats, canoes and kayakers around.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:15 AM

Thanks Keeper, I saw pics of the Dunnedin Islands on the photo thread. Beautiful! I can't wait to visit!

We will have to look into Rocky Creek as well, I'm not familiar with that at all. Hillsboro River, Im still not so sure

Now I'm even more excited about our move, though it may be b/c it's 22 degrees here today!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:22 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,211 times
My fav Kayak places in the Tampa area are Hillsborough River, Little Manatee River, Tampa Bay near Weedon Island, Picnic Island, Cypress Point(lots of little islands in the Bay to explore), Fort DeSoto, the Intracoastal.

Meetup.com has great trips to Homosassa River and Springs, Weeki Wachee.

The gators in the river dont bother you, there is so much wildlife out there to see, and its so peaceful.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,384 times
Kayaking here is fun, but not as exciting as some of the areas you mentioned.

These sites may be of interest.

Tampa Bay Sea Kayakers
Canoe Escape: Canoeing the Hillsborough River near Tampa, Florida

Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 AM

Thanks tampaguy, for the suggestions. I can't wait to explore the islands!

And thanks sspiro, the second link about the Hillsborough river looks pretty exciting with all the wildlife to see! I actually have kayaked/canoed around rivers near Sarasota when I was late teens/20 and was never bothered by alligators so I should stop being so paranoid. That's what happens with age

Old 02-28-2008, 07:28 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,384 times
I wouldn't worry about alligators. They won't bother you if you don't bother them.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 15,151 times
Default kayak

Hi, this is a first for me to use "forums" but I kayak and one of the nicest places is the Hillsborough River. We put in in North Tampa, it is one of the most peaceful, idyllic trips you could imagine. Also, in Pinellas County, in Fort DeSoto Park, you go to the left when you enter the park itself and there are lots of spots to park and put your boats in. That is also awesome. Not sure what county you live in, but hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I've noticed some posters mentioning kayaking. I love to kayak but have only done it in the waters around Hilton Head Island, Dominican Republic, Canada, etc.
Where do people go to kayak around the Tampa Bay area? Is anywhere safe or are there specific areas? I think I've read people kayak to certain small islands? Anyone have experience with this, know the names of the islands or havepics to share?!

Also- I apologize in advance for my ignorance- but is it safe in the rivers or do people stick to ocean waters? I think I've read too much about the alligators on this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay