U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:08 AM

7 posts, read 9,703 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I will really appreciate as much info as I can get on this, because I have to make this decision in a big hurry.
The background on me is: I grew up in small town Ohio, then moved to the Detroit, MI suburbs after college. However, I have always loved warm weather, the ocean, palm trees, etc. and absolutely hate the cold and snow. I am a field marketing rep, and our market in Tampa has opened up, and I can transfer if I want, but have to decide very quickly, and move within the month of March. I currently live in downtown Rochester, which is a very nice, well off suburb of the D with cute little bars, shops, restaraunts, etc. on Main Street. I would like to live somewhere comparable to this in Tampa. I am 29, and am into bars/dancing at clubs, dining at nice restaraunts, SHOPPING, and being in the middle of everything. I want to live somewhere trendy and safe, but I can't afford to pay a ton on rent for an apartment. I have looked an realized for what I want I will be looking at $700-900 range at least. I am in love with the Post Harbour Place from what I have seen online. My job requires me to travel all over the greater Tampa area, mostly to the south, commute time doesnt't really matter due to this flexibility.
So- what I'm asking is: for those people who live in Tampa, and if there are some from MI that live there now- is it a chance worth taking? What areas or specific apartment complexes would you recommend based on what I have said about myself and situation? Any enlightenment would be great! I visited Clearwater for 2 spring breaks in college and liked it a lot. I also was in the Tampa area in grad school for vacay as well. PS- I love baseball, and no team would ever be the Tigers, but how are the Devil Rays?
THANK YOU in adavnce for quick and helpfull responses!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 01:19 AM

4,679 posts, read 5,191,448 times
If your job will afford you the luxury to be able to pay for your lifestyle in Florida then it's always worth taking the chance.

Florida is the greatest place in the world to live if you have money.

If you don't it really kinda sucks.

The Rays are the Rays, finished in last place in 9 out of 10 seasons.

The Tigers usually make a road trip or two down to the Trop though and nothing beats watching baseball in Florida in July in a Dome.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:56 AM

ell, I have done a few cost of living comparisons, and strangely, Detroit is more expensive than Florida. So, Staying at my same salary, it looks like I would be ahead making the move. Though- this doesn't do cost of beer/alcohol comparison, which is important!!

If you move from Detroit MI to Tampa FL...

Groceries will cost:1.371%lessHousing will cost:12.11%lessUtilities will cost:11.484%lessTransportation will cost:5.852%moreHealthcare will cost:4.223%less

Old 02-29-2008, 02:16 AM

4,679 posts, read 5,191,448 times
Tampa is pretty expensive but according to the stats it looks like you'll pay less to live in the Bay Area.

That's definatly a bonus. Tampa was voted as the 4th most expensive city to commute in, but that shouldn't both you because Detroit was voted as the 3rd most.

Good luck moving to Tampa

Old 02-29-2008, 08:34 AM

1,824 posts, read 5,801,730 times
Your 29, I say make the move, since by the sound of your post, it sounds like you already have amde the decision to move...life is all about taking risks, and you'll never know unless you take such risks, espeically at 29 yo and single. You have what sounds to be a good paying job, which is very important in making such a move.

Since most of your work is in Tampa, i'd look into areas of South Tampa like Hyde Park/SOHO/Palma Ceia/Davis Islands...check out craigslist.com for privately owned condos and townhomes in those areas, not just the apartment complexes, although Post does a good job, and there is also Camden communities...very doable at $700-900/month budget.

You'll have areas like Hyde Park Village, South Howard Avenue(SOHO), and little neighborhhood areas like Bay to Bay Blvd and MacDill Ave or MacDill Ave just south of Euclid Ave and Bayshore Blvd to shop, eat, walk, people watch, etc.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:42 AM

48 posts, read 175,191 times
I think you should make the move. I'm about your age and moving down there this fall. As Tampaguy said, life is about taking risks! Worst-case scenario, you move down there and it doesn't work out. You can always move back or somewhere else. Plus, if you don't do it, it'd be tough a couple years from now to look back and realize what could have been. Good luck!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 AM

Thank you everyone for the input! I did decide to take the transfer. I'm scared/excited and definitely stressed on the logistics of the move. I have heard mostly rave reviews from friends who know people who live there. I have also heard and read about crime in Tampa, and I was excited about partying in Ybor, but it seems like it might be scary now? My big concern now is having to pick an apartment without seeing it first and really knowing areas! I am looking at the Post Harbour Place which I think is Harbour Islands? Is the surrounding area safe? I'm also looking at the Georgian in Hyde Park. Again- safe surrounding area? Like I said before- I want to be in an area with lots of other young people and lots to do- shops, restaraunts, bars, culture, etc. but not at the risk of being mugged or whatnot if I wander outside of my little bubble! Even though I'm in Detroit metro- where I live now is far from the "scary D" and very very safe/nice. And I am also reading a lot about traffic being bad. Bad compared to what? Small towns? I consider rush hours in Detroit to be pretty bad (evening starts at 3:30 I swear!)- but I know it's nowhere near east coast, LA, Atlanta or Chi-town. How is the "trolley" I read about on the Harbour Place site? Scary or safe? I'm all about avoiding drinking and driving at all costs! I also read another post from someone asking about getting their Florida license and where to take the road test. Do you REALLY have to take your road test all over again there?!? YIKES!!! Okay, I wrote a novel!! Again- thanks for all the great advice and info.......

Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 AM

1,824 posts, read 5,801,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andianderson825 View Post
Thank you everyone for the input! I did decide to take the transfer. I'm scared/excited and definitely stressed on the logistics of the move. I have heard mostly rave reviews from friends who know people who live there. I have also heard and read about crime in Tampa, and I was excited about partying in Ybor, but it seems like it might be scary now? My big concern now is having to pick an apartment without seeing it first and really knowing areas! I am looking at the Post Harbour Place which I think is Harbour Islands? Is the surrounding area safe? I'm also looking at the Georgian in Hyde Park. Again- safe surrounding area? Like I said before- I want to be in an area with lots of other young people and lots to do- shops, restaraunts, bars, culture, etc. but not at the risk of being mugged or whatnot if I wander outside of my little bubble! Even though I'm in Detroit metro- where I live now is far from the "scary D" and very very safe/nice. And I am also reading a lot about traffic being bad. Bad compared to what? Small towns? I consider rush hours in Detroit to be pretty bad (evening starts at 3:30 I swear!)- but I know it's nowhere near east coast, LA, Atlanta or Chi-town. How is the "trolley" I read about on the Harbour Place site? Scary or safe? I'm all about avoiding drinking and driving at all costs! I also read another post from someone asking about getting their Florida license and where to take the road test. Do you REALLY have to take your road test all over again there?!? YIKES!!! Okay, I wrote a novel!! Again- thanks for all the great advice and info.......
Post Harbour Place and the Georgian are in VERY desireable areas of Tampa, and safe, but what is exactly safe when you have people going into suburban Wendy's restaurants and pulling out a gun, or shopping malls in rural America and going on a shooting spree...anyway, yes, those areas are full of young professionals and near everything...the trolley and streetcar are mostly used by tourists, conventioneers and locals when there are events downtown(I just read today that there is an electric car service starting on the weekends to take people all over downtown for free on the weekends).
Regarding traffic, of course its here between the typical rush hour times, but I dont see it nearly as bad as larger metro areas like Miami, DC, Houston, NY, LA, etc...it moves all be it a little slower, but it moves...

Here are some links regarding downtown Tampa and its neighborhoods(Hyde Park, Harbor Island, etc.)

Hi Life Tampa - Home
TDP Intro

Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 AM

367 posts, read 1,172,220 times
but what is exactly safe when you have people going into suburban Wendy's restaurants and pulling out a gun,

I keep telling people that Fast Food is dangerous, here is a prime example why

Seriously though, there are some safe places all over Tampa, if you are young and single then there are some nice places in the developing downtown locations. I do find that Ybor is very scruffy in the daytime, I'd prefer to be in a neighborhood where I can sit outside a cafe and not see the trash and other undesireable remains of the night before by my feet.
It can be very wild around Ybor and there are going to be times when you don't want all that, so if you buy or rent, think about that first.

Getting a cab from Ybor and nightlife to a quieter and safer location after a fun night is preferable I'd say.

Don't pass over St Petersburg downtown, thats nice to live in and enjoy daytime at weekends, and it's not so far to drive into Tampa.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainbrit View Post
but what is exactly safe when you have people going into suburban Wendy's restaurants and pulling out a gun,

Seriously though, there are some safe places all over Tampa, if you are young and single then there are some nice places in the developing downtown locations. I do find that Ybor is very scruffy in the daytime, I'd prefer to be in a neighborhood where I can sit outside a cafe and not see the trash and other undesireable remains of the night before by my feet.
It can be very wild around Ybor and there are going to be times when you don't want all that, so if you buy or rent, think about that first.

Getting a cab from Ybor and nightlife to a quieter and safer location after a fun night is preferable I'd say.

Don't pass over St Petersburg downtown, thats nice to live in and enjoy daytime at weekends, and it's not so far to drive into Tampa.

When I mentioned Ybor City- I definitely didn't mean to live there - just going for the nightlife and entertainment type stuff on weekends!
I saw that there are a lot of really nice looking apartment complexes in St Pete's, but I think downtown Tampa-ish area would be a better location for my job- as my territory is Tampa/St Petes/Clearwater, then goes south down the coast. I will look into it more though.
Thanks again for the great input everyone- keep it coming!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay