U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 AM

177 posts, read 195,731 times

Advertisements

I am surprised when Floridians say their taxes are high.We pay as much in Ct.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,859,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Yankee View Post
I am surprised when Floridians say their taxes are high.We pay as much in Ct.
We're used to lower wages and lower cost of living in FLA - so increases are hard to get used to.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,859,410 times
A Word of Advice During a Housing Slump: Rent

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/re...in&oref=slogin

Last edited by BucFan; 03-07-2008 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 01:21 PM

41 posts, read 178,201 times
Default Insurance Rates on a canal in Palm Harbor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Considering a move to Florida....or anywhere else....the first thing you should do is visit the area and then RENT before you buy.....you might find that the area you selected does not suit you....if you are renting...just pick up and go...but if you buy first....it becomes a little harder.....my research into taxes have revealed that your property taxes are based on the purchase price of your home...throughtout Florida....so if you spend $300,000 on a home....your taxes will start out at $7,200 a year without the homestead exemption....or 2.4% of the purchase price...I have heard that this formula has changed.....but I have not found it in print anywhere....but the best way is to contact the local county property tax office and ask them....insurance is another problem...for they have rated all the areas...and the closer to the water...the more you are going to pay....my friend has a place in Cape Corel...on a canal....and he is now paying $12,000 a year.....yes...a $1,000 a month for his home....roughly 2,500 square foot home....of course a visit to a local insurance agent will determine the rough price of home owners/flood/hurricane insurance on a home you might be interested in....and then you might price vehicle insurance at the same time....when you add it all up....Florida is becoming a little more expensive place to retire tooooooooooooooo.....

I really like the idea of a home on a canal to the ocean in Palm Harbor (or a similar town) but am very concerned about insurance rates... Does anyone have any examples of home value to insurance rates for waterfront property? I'm looking at homes around $350K. I know it depends upon your credit rating, but at least I'll have a ballpark idea.

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,267,954 times
Taxes are very predictable, you can jsut look at the appraisers web site. Most have calculators there so you can calculate your estimated taxes. Insurance is another story. A lot of insurers will not insure homeowners on the water. Unfortunately, this is just a fact of life. Call around for quotes before you buy anything. You're likely to find that insurance and taxes more than double your mortgage payment. And just think, if you pay the house totally off, you will still have a pretty hefty monthly payment.

As for a comparison of Tampa expenses: My 3900 sq ft, taxable value 360k in Tampa runs me about $8600 a year for Taxes and another 2k for insurance. Total Cost almost 11k. I got transferred to Denver Colorado and I now have a 6100sq ft house, taxable value 550k and my taxes are $2900 and insurance runs me $700 per year. Total cost $3600. Even with state income tax, it much cheaper.

Nav

Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 AM

25,341 posts, read 37,471,570 times
Most renter don't pay high enough rent to cover all the cost of property taxes and/or HOA/CDD....but most LL will do the same as I do...have them pay a reasonable rent and have them live in the house and wait till the housing market recovers and prices go up and that is when the property taxes and the rest will be get back...

Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 24,636 times
i love all these people who come on here and say "oh i moved to [XYZ place] and now my taxes and insurance are [XYZ numbers]"

yes, but Denver and South Carolina ARE NOT FLORIDA. let's face it. there is a reason why florida and california will always attract people, and why nobody ever says "when i grow up/retire i really wanna live in SOUTH CAROLINA"

Old 03-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,267,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aig-rage View Post
i love all these people who come on here and say "oh i moved to [XYZ place] and now my taxes and insurance are [XYZ numbers]"

yes, but Denver and South Carolina ARE NOT FLORIDA. let's face it. there is a reason why florida and california will always attract people, and why nobody ever says "when i grow up/retire i really wanna live in SOUTH CAROLINA"
Thank you, we love you too

Actually I still own the house in the Bay area and all I was doing was comparing the extremely high taxes for what little services you actually get in the bay area. As a local homeowner, I'm entitled to my opinion.

Most people who are not concerned with the rates in Tampa are typically renters or those who own an inexpensive tract or older home. The general population in the middle and upper bracket of Hillsborough county are not too thrilled with their tax rates, although there is nothing they can do about it.

This thread is not about who pays what where, but rather to let the original poster know what to expect so they wont be shocked when they arrive.

Nav

Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 AM

41 posts, read 178,201 times
Thanks Nav for the info - No good deed goes unpunished, huh?!!!

Are you looking to move back to Florida too?

As a comparison to you - I live in a 2650 SF, 400K home in New Hampshire with taxes around $8500 year, no home owners dues and low insurance rates (I think it's around $1200 year).

Old 03-27-2009, 04:13 AM

15 posts, read 43,756 times
AIG-RAGE. I moved to Florida for a job I did not move there because I loved the weather. I was just trying to find something to pay the bills. SO...the reason I left Florida...for a job in South Carolina to pay the bills. I'm in a very specialized field and you go where the job is. YES, it was my choice to buy a house in Florida and YES I am stuck with it but since WE own a home in Florida WE have a right to voice our opinion about the taxes and insurance. I don't care who bought what for how much, etc... it's just rant about the taxes and insurance. I will continue to do so until I can get rid of this house, which at this point is going to be a LONG time from now. However, I do agree with you on one thing I did not move to SOUTH CAROLINA to retire!

Last edited by txbostont; 03-27-2009 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: wanted additional info added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or