U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:58 PM

53 posts, read 138,141 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if this area is a place worth investing in, or moving to. You read alot of great things on the internet, but it's all about Greek restaurants and sponge diving. I'd like to know your opinions on how safe it is. Is it expensive to buy a home, insure it, pay property taxes on it? Is it a close knit community? Does it have a night life? Knowing what you already know, would you move into the area (with a family)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 06:42 PM

15 posts, read 31,547 times
Default Tarpon Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemano View Post
I'm just wondering if this area is a place worth investing in, or moving to. You read alot of great things on the internet, but it's all about Greek restaurants and sponge diving. I'd like to know your opinions on how safe it is. Is it expensive to buy a home, insure it, pay property taxes on it? Is it a close knit community? Does it have a night life? Knowing what you already know, would you move into the area (with a family)?

Hi Motor,
What part of the country are you moving from? We moved here 5 years ago from W. Massachusetts, and live just minutes up the road from sponge docks and touristy areas and love it. We are just minutes to Honeymoon Island Beach and Fred Howard Park/beach. There are many parts to Tarpon Springs and your questions depend on what your price range is in a home? What kind of night life are you looking for clubs, bars? There are many small bars in Tarpon some have music some don't. Do you have a job lined up or looking to retire here?

I can tell you anything you choose to buy on the coast will cost for insurance. Taxes are another big issue going on in this State right now, they are high statewide!

Last edited by Keeper; 03-02-2008 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: realtor advertising removed

Old 03-02-2008, 08:25 PM

I'm from the part of the country that's in another country, CANADA. I live in Richmond Hill, a suburb glued to the north end of Toronto. I wouldn't be relocating to Florida. I've been thinking about purchasing what for now would be a vacation home, something in the 150-250K range. Who know's if I'd retire there, but I'm not ready for retirement for a while (I'm 49). The truth is that I'm getting more than a little turned off by the information I've been receiving about home insurance and property taxes. I'm guessing that I'd have to pay full pop for both, regardless of the fact that I'd only be using the home for a month or two out of the year. I know one fellow who wrote back on a forum and told me his friend pays 12K per year for home insurance and 7K for property taxes on a 300K house. He's trying to bail out, but can't find a buyer. That's insanity. How do people down there hang on to their houses unless they are well off? By comparison, my house up here is worth about 350K and the property taxes are $2700.00 with full coverage insurance another $500.00. Hell, they have to plow snow from the streets and sidewalks up here for up to 6 months of the year which isn't cheap. What do they do in Florida for the money they recive from property taxes? Please go ahead and give me your honest assessment of what's going on down there, but it doesn't sound like a very healthy situation in Cape Coral and maybe everywhere in Florida, I don't know!!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:58 PM

21 posts, read 55,109 times
You know I have run into a few people from your part of the country. lol I live beside the city hall and love it. we have been here for 2 years and when we move again it will be out of state. As for night life dont see much but not my thing. Tampa has that night life. I wouldnt get to uptight about taxes and such there is enough complaining going on its about to change some things. It like living in a small town within an large city. It is very pretty and weather is nice most of the year if you like warm/hot. Safe I guess as much as you could hope for. The police are everywhere so dont speed unless everyone around you is speeding. I dont know what Canada subdivisions are like but here ther isn't much division between income levels. The house around the corner is selling for 500,000 whereas the home next to me sales for 100,000.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:19 PM

Unfortunately, property taxes and insurance seem to be a big enough concern from what I'm reading on these forums. It sounds like they can add up to be more than a mortgage, unless there's a lot of BS hype going on in these forums. Everything else sounds pretty good. Sombody mentioned a toxic waste dump in the area. Is that a fact or was she just pulling scare tactics? Richmond Hill, where I live, is actually similar in many ways. Small town feel..big city near by. Violent crimes are almost zero. Housing is "up there" though. My place at $350K puts me near the bottom of the owners. Lot's of pubs, restaurants, shopping, community centres and a playground every couple hundred yards it seems. Great for raising a family.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 PM

15 posts, read 31,547 times
Quote:
I'm from the part of the country that's in another country, CANADA. I live in Richmond Hill, a suburb glued to the north end of Toronto. I wouldn't be relocating to Florida. I've been thinking about purchasing what for now would be a vacation home, something in the 150-250K range. Who know's if I'd retire there, but I'm not ready for retirement for a while (I'm 49). The truth is that I'm getting more than a little turned off by the information I've been receiving about home insurance and property taxes. I'm guessing that I'd have to pay full pop for both, regardless of the fact that I'd only be using the home for a month or two out of the year. I know one fellow who wrote back on a forum and told me his friend pays 12K per year for home insurance and 7K for property taxes on a 300K house. He's trying to bail out, but can't find a buyer. That's insanity. How do people down there hang on to their houses unless they are well off? By comparison, my house up here is worth about 350K and the property taxes are $2700.00 with full coverage insurance another $500.00. Hell, they have to plow snow from the streets and sidewalks up here for up to 6 months of the year which isn't cheap. What do they do in Florida for the money they recive from property taxes? Please go ahead and give me your honest assessment of what's going on down there, but it doesn't sound like a very healthy situation in Cape Coral and maybe everywhere in Florida, I don't know!!
It's beautiful in your neck of the woods. We used to travel to Montreal it was only a five hour trip from the part of Massachusetts we are from. I was in Toronto once and loved the visit.

Well the hard cold truth is the state is in a mess! And your right it's becoming a place that you struggle to live an average life. I hear so many people talking about getting out of Florida. Florida is second only to California in foreclosures, people are just leaving their homes rather than struggle to afford the ridiculous taxes and insurance issues. 12k is the highest I have heard of! We have a cousin who owns a home with direct gulf access in his backyard and pays 6k for insurance. I don't know what his taxes are. Many people are moving to the Carolina's, Alabama and especially Tennessee! Our neighbors walked away from their house! You should take a trip down for yourself and talk to people in areas that you are considering. And yes, regardless of your part-time residence you would have to pay full amount of taxes and inusrance. Something has to give down here soon!

I still love it here despite all that is going on! And for us the thoughts of going back to depressing New England lifestyle, well, lets just say it's not going to happen. When we get homesick we hop a flight and in three hours we are there, get our fill of the things that we miss up there, then back here and on the beach in the dead of winter. I guess you have to decide for yourself how much you do or don't want to do this. You have to feel secure in your choices.

Good Luck,
Kathy

Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 AM

13,565 posts, read 23,049,866 times
I know someone who had a house directly on the intercoastal and her taxes and ins were $17k a year. Now, as a disclaimer, that was before 'save our homes' was inacted. She sold the home and moved back to Tampa..

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 03-04-2008, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the updates folks. Cathy, I think you're right. I'm going to have to plan a trip down there and check it out for myself. My mother-in-law lives in Clearwater, so I'm guessing that staying at her house is close enough to the area to drive to and evaluate. Thanks for the honesty. Keeper, same to you.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM

21 posts, read 55,109 times
Quote:
Thanks for the updates folks. Cathy, I think you're right. I'm going to have to plan a trip down there and check it out for myself. My mother-in-law lives in Clearwater, so I'm guessing that staying at her house is close enough to the area to drive to and evaluate. Thanks for the honesty. Keeper, same to you.
Are you looking for a reason not to move here? Cause there are plenty. You can check out forums all over the net on all cities and you are going to find reasons to not live there. The key is to find the good. Your life is what you make of it not where you live. As for the property tax and homeowners ins. yeh they are high comparatively but it is changing. People are trying to fix it, there is talk of doubling the homestead exemption. Entirely to many people bought to much house. It happened every where. Just don't buy to much house and you will be fine no matter where you move to.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:04 PM

Memphis, I truly want to believe that it's a good place to come to and except for a few really bitter people that have poppped up, it sounds like it is. You comments about life being what you make resonate with me. i believe the same. I was born in Canada, and I'm of Greek heritage, so I liked the idea of a place that had so many people of my parents homeland in it. Obviously it's a bias I was raised with. The truth is I'm looking to buy something nice (not expensive) for the purpose of vacationing, with an eye on spending more time there as I get older and can no longer tolerate full blown Canadian winters for months on end. So my concern with things like taxes and insurance are for practicle reasons; I would be paying for all the same things up here for about 8 more years (time left on the current mortgage). There's only so much money to go around my friend. Do you mind if I ask you about this chemical plant or dump which is located nearby. Is it a problem at all? This was something that somebody else brought up in another forum (although her comments in general indicated that she had a hard-on for all things). I never even knew it existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay