Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tampa Bay booming, Florida’s rapid growth, Tampa metro, poor infrastructure and growing pains, old homes, new condos, cheaper cost of living, job salaries

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times

Advertisements

Florida is a rapidly growing state. Job growth in the Tampa metro is supposed to be very high over the next decade or so.

My sister has been transferred to Tampa from the Phoenix metro (job situation), and wants to know what to expect. Does the Tampa metro have the same "boom town" atmosphere as western cities? Or does the region model more of a "smart growth"? Does population growth seem to be within control for the most part?

She adores Phoenix, but has felt the brunt of poor infrastructure and growing pains, and is hoping that Tampa will be an improvement.

Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 02:32 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Tampa has no "boom". Our country is in the middle of a bad recession. Tampa is not immune to it's effects. Good jobs are scarce and cost of living is high.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:08 AM

55 posts, read 308,961 times
There is no big boom here. most of the Tampa area is pretty much run down with old houses. There are new development down town but most of these new condos are empty.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:02 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Tampa has no "boom". Our country is in the middle of a bad recession. Tampa is not immune to it's effects. Good jobs are scarce and cost of living is high.
Realistically, I see hundreds, if not close to or exceeding thousands of jobs availible in the Tampa/St. Pete/Lakeland area and that doesn't include the basic stuff like fast food, grocery, gas stations, and retail stores, ect, ect..

I haven't lived in the Bay Area in 10 years and remember having a hard time finding a job, Is it still like that ?

If I come down, will I have a hard time finding work or are jobs pretty much plenty ?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:53 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
theres almost no work here unless u r highly experienced with a specialized skill.....

Old 03-03-2008, 06:05 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,538 times
That's pretty generalized, but as stpeteguy said, the US is in a recession - Tampa is not immune.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:55 AM

127 posts, read 427,464 times
So what I'm reading here is that the Tampa area is run down and there are no jobs here which makes me wonder what the millions of people that live in this area actually do with themselves everyday. Point is, please take what you read on this forum with a huge grain of salt. Yes, growth in this state has definitely slowed but there are plenty of jobs available in this region and it obviously will depend on which industry you're looking into.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,538 times
Agreed with above.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpiro View Post
That's pretty generalized, but as stpeteguy said, the US is in a recession - Tampa is not immune.
There are TONS of jobs availible in Houston that pay good and don't have nearly the competition for them. Add in the cheaper cost of living and I think I have a winner.

I guess that's the good thing about Texas as compared to Florida, Texas isn't a tourist trap.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
Yes, growth in this state has definitely slowed but there are plenty of jobs available in this region and it obviously will depend on which industry you're looking into.
I've personally looked through job ads and noticed that hardly anything pays more then $10-15 an hour and the ones that ARE availible for those salaries, You either have to have a Bachelors degree or 7 years experience or in some cases, Both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay