Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 12:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,144 times

Advertisements

For the past couple of months I’ve been debating if I should move to Tampa, FL or not and could really use to advise from families in the area.

My wife and I relocated from Brooklyn, NY to Dallas, Tx seeking a better life when it was just us two. But NOW after living here a year we realized we want a little more for our first child & ourselves (He’ll be 8 months when we move).

We been digging into FL for a long time…

I’ve visited Orlando, FL multiple times on business meetings etc. And seen the potential. But after exploring with my wife seeing the distance from the beaches, crime and hardly anything in the job market for dance educators with a bachelor’s degree. No opportunities, high crime it just wasn’t a fit.

So a bunch of my business partners (who currently own homes in Tampa) mentioned I should look into Tampa, FL. And so I did and I’m loving everything I’m seeing beautiful beaches “with clear water”, schools “for the future”, restaurants, cultural events etc. Has a tropical feel in some areas with easy access to other towns. I like it. I’ve been digging into Tampa for a while and I have my eye on Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, Brandon, Westchase and possibly new tampa. But the CRIME is throwing me off again especially with a new born child.

I’m from NYC and I know crime when I see it. I’ve looked through Trulia Crime, Tampa News and other online sources like neighborhood scout etc.

Rite now I’m in a large town with hardly any criminal activity in Dallas. If anything you’ll see a few for tickets and maybe 1 or 2 knuckle heads within the year. Safety is #1 for me 100%.

Can someone clear this up for me?

My wife and I aren’t looking to buy we are looking for a good looking & safe family friendly town we are in our 30’s.

Which towns would you recommend for us?

How’s the Job market for dance educators with a degree in tampa?

Is Tampa, FL a long term home or do people end up moving out like fort Lauderdale?

The people are awesome here in Dallas, Tx we get good mornings, how are you etc. Can we expect that kind of vibe in Tampa?

Which apartment complexes would you recommend for us?

Does tampa host a lot of cultural events latin, Caribbean, Italian etc?

What have you learned living in tampa?

Do you find it boring?

This is my final stop! hopefully I get the rite answer I need here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Why would you worry about Tampa crime when you're looking into "Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, Brandon, Westchase and possibly new tampa?" Only "new tampa" fall into the city of Tampa, and even then, the majority of it isn't even in Hillsborough County.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:38 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Clarify what you mean by "dance educators."

Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 AM

88 posts, read 108,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmata2101 View Post
For the past couple of months I’ve been debating if I should move to Tampa, FL or not and could really use to advise from families in the area.

My wife and I relocated from Brooklyn, NY to Dallas, Tx seeking a better life when it was just us two. But NOW after living here a year we realized we want a little more for our first child & ourselves (He’ll be 8 months when we move).

We been digging into FL for a long time…

I’ve visited Orlando, FL multiple times on business meetings etc. And seen the potential. But after exploring with my wife seeing the distance from the beaches, crime and hardly anything in the job market for dance educators with a bachelor’s degree. No opportunities, high crime it just wasn’t a fit.

So a bunch of my business partners (who currently own homes in Tampa) mentioned I should look into Tampa, FL. And so I did and I’m loving everything I’m seeing beautiful beaches “with clear water”, schools “for the future”, restaurants, cultural events etc. Has a tropical feel in some areas with easy access to other towns. I like it. I’ve been digging into Tampa for a while and I have my eye on Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, Brandon, Westchase and possibly new tampa. But the CRIME is throwing me off again especially with a new born child.

I’m from NYC and I know crime when I see it. I’ve looked through Trulia Crime, Tampa News and other online sources like neighborhood scout etc.

Rite now I’m in a large town with hardly any criminal activity in Dallas. If anything you’ll see a few for tickets and maybe 1 or 2 knuckle heads within the year. Safety is #1 for me 100%.

Can someone clear this up for me?

My wife and I aren’t looking to buy we are looking for a good looking & safe family friendly town we are in our 30’s.

Which towns would you recommend for us?

How’s the Job market for dance educators with a degree in tampa?

Is Tampa, FL a long term home or do people end up moving out like fort Lauderdale?

The people are awesome here in Dallas, Tx we get good mornings, how are you etc. Can we expect that kind of vibe in Tampa?

Which apartment complexes would you recommend for us?

Does tampa host a lot of cultural events latin, Caribbean, Italian etc?

What have you learned living in tampa?

Do you find it boring?

This is my final stop! hopefully I get the rite answer I need here.
All of those areas are great choices. They are all very safe and have good schools. I know our neighbor is a dance instructor. She works in carrollwood, but I am not sure how easy it would be to get a job etc. Tampa is very friendly. When you go to Publix everyone is super nice. Tampa has a little bit of everything. You have the downtown vibe of Tampa and St. Pete, but you also have the amazing beaches a short drive away as well.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alecci View Post
All of those areas are great choices. They are all very safe and have good schools. I know our neighbor is a dance instructor. She works in carrollwood, but I am not sure how easy it would be to get a job etc. Tampa is very friendly. When you go to Publix everyone is super nice. Tampa has a little bit of everything. You have the downtown vibe of Tampa and St. Pete, but you also have the amazing beaches a short drive away as well.
Appreciate the input

Old 02-21-2017, 11:58 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
It's a revolving door population here, especially amongst younger people. Transients coming and going constantly. Almost no one is from here which is good and bad but basically strange. Job market will be much thinner and lower paying than Dallas. Weather great mid october thru april then its jungle death heat with lethal storms for 6 months, maybe similar to dallas. If things are going well in Dallas not sure i would uproot and move here. Its hit and miss on many fronts and being florida it still has a wild west vibe where you will see everything and anything, hard to trust anyone. all the criminals and shadiest people end up down here at some point.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:18 PM

490 posts, read 583,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmata2101 View Post
But the CRIME is throwing me off again especially with a new born child.

Feb, 21, 2017 google news easy search Dallas TX

• Dallas police are seeking the public’s help in finding a man wanted in connection with a shooting at a car wash Sunday morning.
  • Dallas police are asking for the public's help to solve the fatal shooting of a 19-year-old man in Red Bird on Friday afternoon.
  • 2 suspects at large after robbery of dollar General
  • Armed fugitive arrested after chase through Dallas Co
  • 2 woman wounded in robbery at Motel 6 in NW Dallas
  • Shooting victim dead in Fort worth driveway
  • 17 yr old arrested in murder of man near lake Arlington
  • Man fatally shot, woman wounded in Lake Highlands Home invasion
  • Man ran over pedestrian after stealing from Dallas Wall-mart
  • Officer fires at driver who lunged for a machete, North Richland Hills
  • Grand Prairie Office fatally shoots man subjected of killing fort worth businesswoman
  • Man jailed on rape charges is linked to December sexual assault in Oak Cliff
  • etc............................
These crime news report are no different then the greater Tampa area.

Dallas may not have the crime of Houston or NYC, but when I worked out of the Dallas Area, with a office in Grapevine I absolutely saw no difference in crime compared to any major metropolitan area. So its hard for me to fathom your reasoning on being so afraid, especially coming from Brooklyn.
What others have said about transients in Florida is true, but Texas is a sun belt state too. As you are proving. You have little tenure and are ready to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay