Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 07:31 AM

7 posts, read 5,419 times

Advertisements

So, I have done my due diligence and did my research but a lot of it seems to indicate that most areas being built up such as Lakewood Ranch, Wesley Chapel, Fish Hawk, Lutz, New Tampa, etc, seem to hit a decline soon after being built up? Schools, however, if we plan to stay where we move into first would be very important. I have noticed the only place according to greatschools, that scores well across the board, is Fish Hawk. Seems to be 10/10/10's! However, it is quite a hefty commute to where my wife would have to get to being the 8000 block of MLK in St. Pete, and to the Gulf. I also want to mention that private schools are not out of the question, so being in the St. Pete, Clearwater area is not out of question. I also know that we want what everyone wants in this scenario, great schools, close to the beach, and a commute less than 30 minutes! However, that just doesn't happen! So our order would be schools and commute, then the beach. Can always travel a bit to get to the beach on the weekends. The twist to all this is that I am a real estate investor. Buy and hold mainly. So, I am not looking for new construction, even though that is what the wife wants! But I am looking for something to move into and fix over the course of a year just to get into the area and see if we even like it. But a head start on which areas seem to have what we are looking for would be great! A lot of the threads I read were from mid last year, so this is some verification into everything I read and maybe some new insights into what would be best for us based on our circumstances. The max budget I am looking to spend on a house to get into is $225k. Hopefully, sub $200k. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 04:56 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
You won't get close to a house (freestanding home) anywhere in or near Fishhawk for that kind of money. You're better off staying in Pinellas County, but your housing budget will still be a major impediment to being in a good school district.

I wouldn't consider commuting to St. Pete from Fishhawk or anywhere near there. That would be insane unless you enjoy alone time in your car...

RM

Old 02-21-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
You won't get close to a house (freestanding home) anywhere in or near Fishhawk for that kind of money. You're better off staying in Pinellas County, but your housing budget will still be a major impediment to being in a good school district.

I wouldn't consider commuting to St. Pete from Fishhawk or anywhere near there. That would be insane unless you enjoy alone time in your car...

RM
Thanks for the response! Have any actual recommendations?

Old 02-22-2017, 03:28 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecchioni View Post
Thanks for the response! Have any actual recommendations?
Not for Pinellas County based on your housing budget. I don't know it well enough to comment, but there are others in the forum who do.

Understand that St. pete Proper will have lousy, awful schools. I may be wrong and hopefully someone will correct me, but I believe just about any of the areas around it that are gentrifying (where you could pick up a fixer-upper in your price range) are in school attendance zones that are less than stellar, to put it bluntly.

RM

Old 02-23-2017, 04:21 AM

18 posts, read 17,251 times
Have you looked at the Palm Harbor area? There is the Palm Harbor University High School that has high rankings on most sites. (you didn't specify age range so I started there). I can't pretend to know that much about the FL schools, I've homeschooled my daughter her whole life - but I just helped out a buyer who wanted to stay in that area for the school system, that is why I suggested it.

There are a lot of fixer uppers all over Tampa and the 3 counties, that is why we have so many investors (US and foreign) buying up properties around here. I've been working with investors for years and have noticed they have been changing their focus a bit lately due to the big demand for properties and the multiple offers. You might try some of the national auction sites .. they seem to be the best source lately.

If you need more ideas, just contact me. Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyasellstampa View Post
Have you looked at the Palm Harbor area? There is the Palm Harbor University High School that has high rankings on most sites. (you didn't specify age range so I started there). I can't pretend to know that much about the FL schools, I've homeschooled my daughter her whole life - but I just helped out a buyer who wanted to stay in that area for the school system, that is why I suggested it.

There are a lot of fixer uppers all over Tampa and the 3 counties, that is why we have so many investors (US and foreign) buying up properties around here. I've been working with investors for years and have noticed they have been changing their focus a bit lately due to the big demand for properties and the multiple offers. You might try some of the national auction sites .. they seem to be the best source lately.

If you need more ideas, just contact me. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help. He is just about to turn 1 actually so we have awhile. But it never hurts to get a head start! Also, what are they changing their focus to exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay