U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:41 AM

5 posts, read 24,808 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions about Tarpon.
1. Is it more hurricane prone - if that makes any sense? I know it's florida so there is always a risk of hurricanes but is it common? Like I know Southern Florida supposedly got hit pretty hard but what about the Tampa/Tarpon area? Hopefully you sort of understand what I mean it's very early
2. What is the atmosphere like? Is it constantly hot? Lots of humidity.
3. Are there any real nice beaches there?

Any other info would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 06:46 AM

Oh I have another question! LOL srry. I know TS is predominately Greek but are there any neighborhoods known for the most Greeks? I know it's kind of a mix w/ the Germans and I'd like to be on a street or something w/ more of my people (greeks). =)

Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,916,851 times
Tarpon Springs is no more prone to hurricanes than any other part of the Tampabay area. Could a hurricane hit TS, of course, but over the years they have gotten winds and rain from hurricanes but so has every part of FL.

Check here for more info

Tarpon Springs, Florida (FL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 03-04-2008, 07:04 AM

169 posts, read 992,990 times
Tarpon is pretty small and it's divided by US Hwy 19 so there's a west side (34689) and an east side (34688). The weather is the same on both sides ; ) beautiful this time of the year, hot and humid in the summer, rainy from July to Oct. and then beautiful but warm through Dec.

The west side of Tarpon is where the historic area is and there are a lot of Greek businesses and a cultural presence there. Very few German businesses. There is a lovely new Greek community center there, lots of good Greek restaurants and a steady calendar of cultural affairs. You'll have no problem finding "your people" as you call them. : )

The west side is also the coastal side so there's more waters edge, a lovely beach / park and some lovely waterfront homes. But it's the older area of town too so there's some neglected real estate/buildings that are pretty sad but there are some very nice neighborhoods too.

The east side is the unincorporated side of the area. It's typical neighborhoods and housing, almost no commercial property except for what boarders US 19 and the occasional business along Keystone/Tarpon Ave. There is a private Greek Orthodox school on Keystone that opened 4 or 5 years ago.

It would be a fair housing violation with legal ramifications to recommend any community by an ethnicity so I'll caution you not to ask agents to do that please, they could go to jail or lose their licenses. I know you mean no harm but they will tell you this so you should be aware that they simply can't direct you based on that request alone.

The good news is that you can see the whole darn city in a day and decide what you like and don't like or what suits your lifestyle best pretty quickly. There's information through the City of Tarpon Chamber of Commerce Tarpon Springs, Florida, Parks, Recreation, Businesses, Beaches, Tourism, Attractions and Shopping

I hope this helps, good luck to you. I lived there (east side) for over 5 years and liked it very much.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:27 PM

53 posts, read 183,170 times
Laila, I've been asking about this area too. I guess I'm one of your people (from Canada though) We have a great Greektown up here in Toronto on a street called Danforth Avenue. It's especially popular during the summers for many reasons. There are outdoor patios everywhere, the smells of BBQ pits cooking, bouzouki music, people hanging around and eating untill 3 or 4AM. Maybe we'll be neighbours one day. The problem I've been having is finding out what all the costs associated with home ownership are. A house costs whatever it costs, but home insurance and property taxes are supposedly really outrageous in Florida especially coastal areas. It's the one thing that has held me back from making more serious inquires. From other forums, I gather there are some festering issues in this particular area with police and political corruption (don't know if it's true, hope not) and something about the second largest toxic waste dump in the country located there. I'm doing more research myself, because before I got involved with these forums, I thought it was simply a nice, safe, clean place to visit/live with a charming "Greek" angle to it's history. I'm getting the feeling from some of the respondants to my inquiries that there is resentment towards certain groups (and we're maybe one of them. Again, hope it's not true)
ntfeldman, are you telling me that a prospective buyer can't ask demographically inclined questions regarding a certain area? Americans do more demographic studies and profiling than anyone in the western world, based on ethnicity, race, marital status, income levels and a host of other sub-groups. I'm finding these type of stats everywhere, often as links to real estate listings. I'm not sure I understand what the legal justification would be for withholding this type of information. Are you, as a real estate agent, simply not allowed to say "alot of Greeks live in this area, Germans over there" etc.?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Keeper: Thanks! I think Southern Fla. got hit w/ the HK but I wasn't sure & I was told the last Hurricane to hit TS was in the 20's...
Ntfeldmen: How would it be a fair housing violation if I wanted to live in a neighborhood with more Greek neighbors? It's not. If someone were to deny me of a place to live because of my age, ethnicity, or sex, etc that is a fair housing violation. I'll have to contact a realtor for some more info.
Motorcyclemano: Thanks! I didn't know how else to word it other then "my people" I realize now that I'm awake more that was sort of prejudice sounding not how I intended at all. Anyways if you're looking for a good review, I read one on Bestplaces.net it was a pretty good thorough review about living in TS.
[mod]linking to competitors sites is not allowed[/mod]

Thanks for your guys' help!

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2008 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: link messed up

Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM

I have no idea why the link is showing up like that?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 PM

53 posts, read 183,170 times
"My people" doesn't really sound that bad, at least not to me. I was replying that way while laughing: it's the Greek in me. You must understand. I hear people of all ethnicity's say it all the time around here. Toronto is the most multicultural city in the world. It's the politically correct brain-washers who want you to feel that way. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemano View Post
"My people" doesn't really sound that bad, at least not to me. I was replying that way while laughing: it's the Greek in me. You must understand. I hear people of all ethnicity's say it all the time around here. Toronto is the most multicultural city in the world. It's the politically correct brain-washers who want you to feel that way. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Oh good! See I grew up in some very tight places so it's very =X LOL you have to watch everything you say.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:27 AM

367 posts, read 1,537,481 times
ntfeldman is right it is called 'steering' and it's illegal for us as realtors to do this.
We can't say things like this is a nice catholic/jewish/african american/child free/gay etc etc neighborhood. Everyone has to be treated equally, shown homes that fit their requirements (size/price/facilities/etc) and not led to areas that they or we feel are suitable for what they or we perceive buyers to be.
However if you look at websites, the character of Tarpon Springs and all that the City sells itself on is Greek. You do hear lovely bouzouki music there on the streets and it's the only place, other than online that I have seen Taramasalata for sale (and its so readily available fresh in delis in Europe grrr!) When I need a fix and want to feel like I am in Cephalonia for a while, I go there. I am not Greek by the way, just have very happy memories of the Greek Islands when we were younger and without children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay