U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,363,586 times

Advertisements

yea i lived by coral ridge, theres just really shady, in your face tough guy clowns all over ft lauderdale/miami...especially around the party scene, literally cannot trust anyone. It doesnt feel as latin/hispanic in tampa bay area, i feel like its America again. the hispanic population here is concentrated in certain spots in the tampa city limits and the rest of hillsborough county is basically all white/english speaking. The surrounding counties are very mainstream american type places unlike dade county. it just feels more americanized in the tampa bay area (which includes sarasota county all the way up to rural citrus county and all inbetween)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,734,421 times
Yeah I see what you are saying...I try to avoid that scene, party scene in general is like that...if you moved away fairly recently there is actually an area starting to emerge with nightlife for "Real people", downtown Hollywood...5 years ago you pretty much went there to get robbed but it's starting to turn into a non-pretentious night spot.

I mean where I live in Weston it's still very Hispanic, actually it's the most Hispanic city in Broward even though I'm young it's more family oriented here and I like coming home to that. I personally don't mind that, in fact I enjoy that little latin "spice" since this area would otherwise be way too bland (might as well just live in Cary, NC) for me without that (and although you hear diff languages, not just Spanish and English most of the people speak and understand English), but if you prefer a less mixed type environment you cross the bay into Pinellas and, well, you have your less mixed environment...it's definitely intense and not for everyone, but it's for me. As for me, I prefer the less segregated feel, although I admit that I don't really like the Miami-Dade culture...it's not where they came from, it's about the attitude there.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-04-2008 at 10:27 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,615,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2020 View Post
I am confused as to which city is better...When I mean better I mean cheaper in cost of living (real estate, etc.), more jobs (is it easy to find a job in both places [I am a soon to be CT Tech], and do they both have the same wages?), funner (more city feel, more things to do), better beaches (which one has nicer beaches?), safer (lower crime), weather (do they both have the same weather year round?), etc.

I will apprecitate any information. Thanks.
I have lived in both cities of Fort Lauderdale and Tampa, and currently reside in Tampa and here are my OPINIONS:

Cost of Living(Real Estate) - Tampa seems to be more reasonable for what you get for the $$$.

More Jobs - for CT Tech i'm not sure, but there are numerous major corporations regional hedquarters here in the Tampa Bay region, more than I saw when I lived in the city of Fort Lauderdale.

Wages - again im not too sure, you may get a bit more in Lauderdale, but salaries for my company are the same for Tampa metro and Fort Lauderdale metro.

Funner - I had a GREAT time in Fort Lauderdale, but it was a bit much..i'll go back to visit, but dont want to live it..Tampa has just the right amount of nightlife and fun, also in Tampa are all the major sporting events except Basketball, all major concerts come through Tampa, when I lived in Lauderdale I always felt I had to drive a large distance and through alot of traffic to see a football or hockey game or attend a concert. Things are a bit mroe compact here in Tampa.

Better Beaches - I prefer the Calm Gulf of Mexico, nothing like floating on a raft in the Gulf or wading out in the aqua blue waters...and the powdery soft white sands....Three of the nations Top Beaches are located in the Tampa Bay area(about 30 min from downtown Tampa).

Safer - I actually feel safer in Tampa, 20 years here and never been witness, victim or know of someone that has been a victim, but it does happen, just watch the news...in Lauderdale there just seemed to be more transients and visitors to the area(snowbirds) from what I witnessed.

Weather - I do like the chill that Tampa so often gets during the winters, but from May to October they are pretty much the same, Lauderdale being a bit more tropical in the Winters.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:40 PM

23 posts, read 83,106 times
Whats better for one may not be for another.
I would prefer to vacation in Ft Lauderdale, love the Las Olas area.
But prefer to live in Tampa.

Go spend 3-4 days in each, check out the good and the bad areas, rush hour, job listings in your profession.

Then make the decision based on your priorities.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:05 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,615,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonenough View Post
Whats better for one may not be for another.
I would prefer to vacation in Ft Lauderdale, love the Las Olas area.
But prefer to live in Tampa.

Go spend 3-4 days in each, check out the good and the bad areas, rush hour, job listings in your profession.

Then make the decision based on your priorities.
Exactly what i was stating in my post(my preference is visit Lauderdale, Live in Tampa)...well said!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,768,798 times
Tampa is cheaper to live in by far. South Florida you would need to be bilingual to get a job. Tampa has no beach just St.pete and Clearwater has the beaches and is far away. Tampa I think is a lot more fun then ft.laudedale but I am more into day life then night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay