Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,383 times

Advertisements

Hello. We live in NW Indiana about 30 minutes outside of Chicago. I've had 9 spine surgeries and have 20 screws and rods in my back. The winters here are so gloomy and freezing. We just got back from Tampa to visit my Aunt and Uncle in Riverview. I'm in love and was not in as much pain. We want to put our house up for sale June 1. and rent the first year. My husband does have a good job now and is worried that he won't get a decent paying job there. It looked to me Tampa is booming. He's working in a steel mill right now. We will have about 20,000. To bring and live off of till he finds work. My aunt was a little discouraging that there is no jobs that pay well. Now, I'm really scared to make that move. It's my dream to move there and feel better physically and mentally. Can anyone that really knows the area tell me what's up with the jobs and economy that really knows the area well? My aunt has only been there 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 01:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
https://www.monster.com/jobs/search/...e=Tampa__2C-FL

Old 03-06-2017, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,383 times
Let be me a little more clear. He works in a steel mill now. But, has done concrete placement, has a class B cdl, maintenance Engineering, as well is a crane operator.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:03 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickmel1719 View Post
Let be me a little more clear. He works in a steel mill now. But, has done concrete placement, has a class B cdl, maintenance Engineering, as well is a crane operator.
Look on all sites, Indeed, Monster.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:49 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Understand that even skilled trades do not pay anywhere near as well in this area as in the Midwest. Unless he's a union member, and that's not a big help as organized labor is not terribly strong in this area for the most part, he won't be making anywhere near what he does now.

Resign yourself to a lower standard of living and you might be able to make it here.

Also understand that your insurance costs will be significantly higher for both auto and home (or renters).

Because there is a massive amount of unskilled and seasonal labor here, construction jobs such as concrete are poorly paid, maybe a little over minimum wage for someone with supervisory experience. These jobs also come and go as the economy does, so while there's a building boom here right now, within a couple of months that can dry up and go away if things get tight.

Summers are as brutal here as the area you currently live in. 90s, high humidity, really, really oppressive. Only it lasts considerably longer. If you were here recently you experienced our "winter", which is a really wonderful part of the year, but is limited to maybe 4-5 months at best.

The housing market, especially rentals, is on fire. A decent 3 bedroom suburban home in a nice area will go for easily $1800-$2000/month. A one bedroom apartment in a nice and safe complex will be over $1000/month.

Personally I think you're nuts for doing it, but sometimes you just have to roll the dice. At least you have some family in the area which is more than a lot of transplants have when they come here. I know the TriState area well, and can't even begin to imagine living there....

RM

Old 03-06-2017, 04:20 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times
I would pretty much forget about working for someone. Open your own little shop, be your own boss.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:02 PM

201 posts, read 195,129 times
Hi Mikmel,
I agree with MortonR except for the rentals. If you were in Riverview (the city) you were next to Brandon right? I rented a house for about 1400 a month. You can get a reasonable rental in particular around Brandon/ Riverview. Be careful because some cities around Tampa have some crime issues as do parts of Tampa. Tampa itself in nicer areas and certain cities near Tampa are going to go for more money. WATCH OUT FOR SCAMMERS! and slumlords. I had better luck dealing with a property management company than with realtors.

I moved to that area (and away, now might move to a different part of FL). You should visit during the "rainy season". I was shocked at the humidity and heat and torrential rain (tampa is the lightning capital). Driving can be terrifying. Visit during May to Sept before you commit. Since you have an aunt there, leave husband for a month back at the ranch while you actually live there before committing. I found around tampa unlike other large cities the "rush hour" is unpredictable.

There are many cool things about FL but it is a huge change in many ways from the north (former New Englander here). You basically trade winter for summer in regards to cooling/heating bills and excess humidity rain for snow.

Your husband is right to be concerned about jobs. Depending on what you do, have you considered the Carolinas? They have more temperate weather, might be reasonable rentals (but too many HOA's) and certain areas likely better job situations for him.

I"d definitely ask the aunt if you can stay for an extended "vacation" first! Take your time to find the right place in FL or elsewhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay