U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 PM
 
Location: South Tampa - Bayside West Neighborhood
1,824 posts, read 7,404,363 times
Reputation: 1027

Advertisements

Castellano and Pizzo on Henderson Blvd in South Tampa...EXCELLENT Italian Market! And Yes , Olive Bar and All kinds of Fresh Mozzerella and Tons of Cheeses, Meats, Seafood, Wines, Breads all FRESH...and Canned and Jarred goods from Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2008, 04:22 AM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 6,845,960 times
Reputation: 1513
Castellano and Pizzo on Henderson Blvd, South Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 06:04 AM
 
Location: The 'burg
428 posts, read 1,278,521 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
I couldn't remember exactly which street it's on. MS moment
BTW there is no Kosher food at this point except a little at Publix and BJ's


Wrong. Jo-Els is a kosher deli in St. Pete- they also have a branch in Tampa. Not open on Saturday (obviously). Kosher butcher- deli counter, packaged foods, etc.

Jo-El's Kosher Foods
2619 23rd Ave N
Saint Petersburg, FL 33713
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 06:07 AM
 
Location: The 'burg
428 posts, read 1,278,521 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
She even has sfogliatelle which are my favs. much more esoteric than cannoli and requiring more finess to make. They're in a strip center. They have it all.
Forget Mazzaro's in St. Pete, they're wanna be's. MY apt. mgr. who's also a paisana and was also in the hospitality ind. up north, agrees.

I had a sfogliatelle at Mazzaros yesterday- so much for being wannabes!

Mazzaro's birck oven bread is head and shoulders above any other Italian deli in the Bay area- they also have the widest selection of hams, but they are as much a gourmet food shop as an Italian deli. They roast their own coffee there- fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 06:11 AM
 
Location: The 'burg
428 posts, read 1,278,521 times
Reputation: 276
Also there is a great Polish deli in St. Pete- amazing homemade kielbasa

European Goodies Inc
4701 49th Street North Suite A,
Saint Petersburg, FL 33709
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 AM
 
849 posts, read 3,108,634 times
Reputation: 197
Unhappy not wrong

I am not wrong. I know Joel and Ellen but unfortunately there is an issue for very Orthodox and this is not the place to discuss it. They have closed the Tampa store a long time ago although for the less strict who use them, they will deliver on Fri. to Tampa.

Keeping strict kosher is not a discipline for the haphazard. We are very diligent in our efforts and knowledge. Don't go scolding people who know what they're doing. I go to great expense and difficulty to keep the degree of supervision I want in this regard. It is not easy. If you had read completely, you'd have seen that I said for some of us the degree of supervision is not strict enough. The packaged stuff at Jo-El is fine but I can get it at Sweet Bay or Publix for less.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
Wrong. Jo-Els is a kosher deli in St. Pete- they also have a branch in Tampa. Not open on Saturday (obviously). Kosher butcher- deli counter, packaged foods, etc.

Jo-El's Kosher Foods
2619 23rd Ave N
Saint Petersburg, FL 33713
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 06:47 AM
 
849 posts, read 3,108,634 times
Reputation: 197
Default food

is a very subjective issue. Mazzaros cannoli was inedible when I was there and their sauce is far from what Nana made. They can imitate any form (sfogilatelle) but the taste is not authentic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
I had a sfogliatelle at Mazzaros yesterday- so much for being wannabes!

Mazzaro's birck oven bread is head and shoulders above any other Italian deli in the Bay area- they also have the widest selection of hams, but they are as much a gourmet food shop as an Italian deli. They roast their own coffee there- fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 01:20 PM
 
Location: The 'burg
428 posts, read 1,278,521 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
I am not wrong. I know Joel and Ellen but unfortunately there is an issue for very Orthodox and this is not the place to discuss it. They have closed the Tampa store a long time ago although for the less strict who use them, they will deliver on Fri. to Tampa.

Keeping strict kosher is not a discipline for the haphazard. We are very diligent in our efforts and knowledge. Don't go scolding people who know what they're doing. I go to great expense and difficulty to keep the degree of supervision I want in this regard. It is not easy. If you had read completely, you'd have seen that I said for some of us the degree of supervision is not strict enough. The packaged stuff at Jo-El is fine but I can get it at Sweet Bay or Publix for less.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to scold- I just wasn't sure if you knew!

And I know a number of Orthodox who keep kosher and shop at Jo-els, which is why I posted it. yes it is pricier- that's for sure!

I'm not kosher so I haven't compared too much with the regular stores, and I certainly wouldn't be able to attest to supervision issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 01:23 PM
 
Location: The 'burg
428 posts, read 1,278,521 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
is a very subjective issue. Mazzaros cannoli was inedible when I was there and their sauce is far from what Nana made. They can imitate any form (sfogilatelle) but the taste is not authentic.

Must have been a bad day- I love their cannolis.

authentic to what? Italy? New Jersey Italian? Philly Italian? Tampa Italian? There are varying degress of authenticness when dealing with Italian food.

But you're right- food is subjective. And I do love Castellanos in Tampa as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 02:34 PM
 
849 posts, read 3,108,634 times
Reputation: 197
Default Well I would suggest

your friends double check with their rabbis because none of the Orthodox ones I know would permit the deli at all and now there has been a problem with the butcher case that they may not be aware of.
thanks for the apology. I was trying to explain that anyone who is really serious about being kosher WILL most definitely know their sources
BTW are your friends really Orthodox or Conservative? The Cons. rabbis are permitting Jo-El's.
My tradition is Sephardic anyway so I don't use a whole lot of their products and because my kitchen is so tiny, I gave up meat and haven't been shopping Jo-Els regardless. They have a few Seph. items that are ok cause they're frozen but I can get them elsewhere if I want for less. We go to Sav-On Seafood on S. 49th and they are fantastic. They have all sorts of finny/scaly fish I can choose from. It doesn't have a kosher mark but my rabbi said it's ok as long as I'm sure of the species. They sell tuna and mahi-mahi chunks for like 3.50/lb and they're great. You can do so much with them. Definitely cheaper than kosher chicken. The tuna is a good sub for beef stew meat.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
Sorry, I wasn't trying to scold- I just wasn't sure if you knew!

And I know a number of Orthodox who keep kosher and shop at Jo-els, which is why I posted it. yes it is pricier- that's for sure!

I'm not kosher so I haven't compared too much with the regular stores, and I certainly wouldn't be able to attest to supervision issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top