Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 11:32 AM

318 posts, read 466,969 times

Advertisements

Looking to get some feedback on TB vs. JAX area. YES I know there are threads on it, I have read them all. Looking for additional information please.

We are mid-50s moving from the north - no children at home. We will both be looking for work... but planning on using retirement money to get settled into a neighborhood, $350-450K homes.

TB looks like sinkhole city to me, from what I've read online. Also taxes in Hillsborough are very very high, add in that CCD fee, and you are looking at $1,000 a month in taxes and fees. We have driven around in Bloomingdale area & Lithia area and they look nice. Close to downtown too.

I thought I saw something about sinkhole activity, cracks in the walls, etc in Fish hawk Ranch area?

Opinions and experiences about Tampa Bay area would be appreciated. AND if you chose Tampa Bay over JAX I would love to hear why! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 12:44 PM

686 posts, read 621,529 times
I'll be honest, I was a bit apprehensive about moving down here due to all the reported sinkholes but I think a lot of the reported ones are fraudulent (house settlement) insurance claims. Yes, there are a ton of legitimate claims as well and it is a bit unsettling knowing that they are an issue in an area that is exploding with population growth. Do I let it keep me up at night? No.

Jax and the rest of Northern FL are a bit too southern for my own personal taste, and I don't personally care for the Atlantic beaches when compared to the Gulf coast. I do miss waves, but the beaches themselves over here are in another league (I've become a bit of a beach snob). Let's just say that it's fitting that Siesta Key and Clearwater Beach are so highly rated nationally, even though tourists are choking the life out of the latter.

I imagine quality of life among the two is a toss up. Both downtowns are small and sparse but developing. Both have massive sprawl full of mostly generic strip mall stuff and McMansionvilles you can find everywhere else these days. Both have summers that will melt your face off. Jax has a slightly cooler winter which may be something you appreciate, may not. I read that Jax has a much lower chance of a direct hit from a hurricane, but it's Florida... they can hit anywhere. Jax was never on our radar when we moved down from up north (it was either here or somewhere in South FL). I think we made the right choice but we're not going to stay in FL forever.

We've been in Tampa for a little over 6 years. It's alright. There isn't really anything I love here other than some of the beaches and the palm trees. Winters are beautiful but you have to deal with the onslaught of snowbirds crowding everything out. Summers are awful... just awful. I thought I'd get acclimated to them but that's a pipe dream. I may have adjusted somewhat (I find myself getting cold when it's 60 degrees outside now), but I cringe at the thought of having to deal with another summer of round the clock brutal humidity. I think the perception of FL being ridden with bugs and snakes is a bit overblown. Sure there are tons of them down here but it's not like you'll be choked with bug guts and riddled with snakebites. Lovebug season excluded, of course. And I've seen maybe 4 snakes the whole time I've been here, each one a black racer which are small and harmless. Lots of lizards, which honestly I think is pretty cool. Bunch of sandhill cranes, ducks, frogs, deer, armadillo... and that's just my neighborhood. If you dig wildlife, Florida's a pretty cool place.

If you really want to move down to FL I would hope you've visited in the summer when it's brutal. If you can hack it, come on down. Lots of folks are crossing the state line and setting down roots. I'll wave as we're heading back up north.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:54 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
I'll be honest, I was a bit apprehensive about moving down here due to all the reported sinkholes but I think a lot of the reported ones are fraudulent (house settlement) insurance claims. Yes, there are a ton of legitimate claims as well and it is a bit unsettling knowing that they are an issue in an area that is exploding with population growth. Do I let it keep me up at night? No.

Jax and the rest of Northern FL are a bit too southern for my own personal taste, and I don't personally care for the Atlantic beaches when compared to the Gulf coast. I do miss waves, but the beaches themselves over here are in another league (I've become a bit of a beach snob). Let's just say that it's fitting that Siesta Key and Clearwater Beach are so highly rated nationally, even though tourists are choking the life out of the latter.

I imagine quality of life among the two is a toss up. Both downtowns are small and sparse but developing. Both have massive sprawl full of mostly generic strip mall stuff and McMansionvilles you can find everywhere else these days. Both have summers that will melt your face off. Jax has a slightly cooler winter which may be something you appreciate, may not. I read that Jax has a much lower chance of a direct hit from a hurricane, but it's Florida... they can hit anywhere. Jax was never on our radar when we moved down from up north (it was either here or somewhere in South FL). I think we made the right choice but we're not going to stay in FL forever.

We've been in Tampa for a little over 6 years. It's alright. There isn't really anything I love here other than some of the beaches and the palm trees. Winters are beautiful but you have to deal with the onslaught of snowbirds crowding everything out. Summers are awful... just awful. I thought I'd get acclimated to them but that's a pipe dream. I may have adjusted somewhat (I find myself getting cold when it's 60 degrees outside now), but I cringe at the thought of having to deal with another summer of round the clock brutal humidity. I think the perception of FL being ridden with bugs and snakes is a bit overblown. Sure there are tons of them down here but it's not like you'll be choked with bug guts and riddled with snakebites. Lovebug season excluded, of course. And I've seen maybe 4 snakes the whole time I've been here, each one a black racer which are small and harmless. Lots of lizards, which honestly I think is pretty cool. Bunch of sandhill cranes, ducks, frogs, deer, armadillo... and that's just my neighborhood. If you dig wildlife, Florida's a pretty cool place.

If you really want to move down to FL I would hope you've visited in the summer when it's brutal. If you can hack it, come on down. Lots of folks are crossing the state line and setting down roots. I'll wave as we're heading back up north.
Curious where are you moving back up north? I can understand though, I would only live in FL Oct-May. If you can be a snowbird and live in FL Oct-May it's difficult to beat FL weather anywhere else in the lower 48.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Interesting some like the Gulf beaches better. I thought Jacksonville had nice beaches with the surf and I felt the flat gulf water was not very impressive. Also there is a really nice stretch of protected coastline (Guana River Wildlife Managment) between Jax and St. Augustine that feels very natural and wild without any development. Reminded me of a Cape Cod look and feel with dunes and grass. I like Amelia Island too.

But in Jax you get colder winters but the same hot summers. It would be hard to come all the way to FL and still have some chill in the winter. I'm also curious at thoughts between Jax and Pinellas Co. Seems most prefer Pinellas? Jax cheaper housing?

Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 AM

686 posts, read 621,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Curious where are you moving back up north? I can understand though, I would only live in FL Oct-May. If you can be a snowbird and live in FL Oct-May it's difficult to beat FL weather anywhere else in the lower 48.
Likely back up to where my family/friends are in the DC area, or thereabouts. Possibly Charlottesville if we can swing it. I miss mountains. And yes, if I were a snowbird, FL from Oct to May (actually I would come down from November to April personally) would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Interesting some like the Gulf beaches better. I thought Jacksonville had nice beaches with the surf and I felt the flat gulf water was not very impressive. Also there is a really nice stretch of protected coastline (Guana River Wildlife Managment) between Jax and St. Augustine that feels very natural and wild without any development. Reminded me of a Cape Cod look and feel with dunes and grass. I like Amelia Island too.

But in Jax you get colder winters but the same hot summers. It would be hard to come all the way to FL and still have some chill in the winter. I'm also curious at thoughts between Jax and Pinellas Co. Seems most prefer Pinellas? Jax cheaper housing?
I think the waves of the Atlantic are soothing and add a little more "excitement" to a beach excursion when compared to a dip in the Gulf, no doubt, but just to be clear I was referring to the beaches themselves. The sand (or in the Gulf side's case, the crushed quartz) is powdery soft, looks nicer in general, and doesn't burn your feet. There are a few protected areas on the Gulf that don't have development you might like.

If you're considering Pinellas, it'll be more expensive unless you're looking somewhere off the coast or bay. Unfortunately, most of Pinellas in this area is crowded and dumpy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay